Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Appointing Ole Gunnar Solskjaer an ‘unavoidable mistake'...

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Martin Samuel made a good point yesterday regarding how uncompetitive many of the European leagues have become. Juventus winning their 8th consecutive Serie A, Bayern Munich dominating Germany, Barca and Real dominating La Liga. The only way he suggested to arrest the disparity was for UEFA to take the Champions League broadcasting rights, and issue the money to the Association of the relevant country, they would then be able to distribute how they saw fit to ensure their league remained competitive.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Martin Samuel made a good point yesterday regarding how uncompetitive many of the European leagues have become. Juventus winning their 8th consecutive Serie A, Bayern Munich dominating Germany, Barca and Real dominating La Liga. The only way he suggested to arrest the disparity was for UEFA to take the Champions League broadcasting rights, and issue the money to the Association of the relevant country, they would then be able to distribute how they saw fit to ensure their league remained competitive.

Very true. At least this country has 6 competitive teams, the other leagues, including the monkey tennis ones like Scotland, Portugal, Greece, etc., are just robotic.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A new manager isn't going to sort out the problems at Man U, and long may it continue.

They have no plan and no ethos in place. Lurching from manager to manager with no continuity and no underlying system for them to fit into.
Which is what most of our fans want us to do.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What about those who rather than seeing it as laddish, actually base their dislike on personal experiences and events?

I'd find it hard to be persuaded that labelling a city or team based on personal experience is reasonable. I joke about Croydon, but . . . . I'd find it even less easy to be persuaded by events (i.e., not my own personal experience). I had rocks thrown at me outside Sellhurst nearly 40 years ago. I'm not going to hold all Palace fans responsible :shrug:

My antipathy towards ManU is based on the FA cup final, with various other issues used conveniently by me to paint a picture (caracture) that pleases me in my vengeful moments. It is probably all bollocks, with the only grain of meaning being my annoyance about the cup final.

So what have the inhabitants of Liverpool done to upset you?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I love how fans think Poch would bin Spurs for the poisoned chalice that is United :shrug:

WHY would he do that, Spurs are on on the up because of him, they have a fabulous new stadium and may well give him funds next season. United need a complete rebuild.
That's what it should (IMO) come down to. He's a top manager in this league, and if they're not going to give him the budget to compete with the other top 5 clubs, why should he stay? They've spent a fortune on the ground, which is a bit of a waste if they're not going to also spend on players. But yes, if they gave him the budget, I think he'd be better off at Spurs than Utd.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't really hate other clubs. Get one over them on the pitch, certainly. In the case of ManU, however, during the era of worst English fotball excesses, cheating, entitlement, having it large, being the most deluded nation in Europe with its bad teeth and shitty housing, Man United represented all that was bad about practically everything. Flashy cocky vulgar ignorant players with bad haircuts, shitty clothes, no taste in music, literature or women, staggered their way to a cup final in 84, under a piggy-faced blingy racist with the UK's second most hated accent, chippy braggart ****. And they faced none other than plucky Brighton. We will set aside our own foibles of the time because this is about Man U. Norman Whiteside. Three deliberate hand balls that he laughed off (the cheeky hero). Ramsey assaulted. And eventually the smug monkeys snatched the cup, and swaggered off to drown in gallons of Carling Black lable.

On the basis of all of this, after they have beaten Cardiff, they are welcome to enjoy whatever turmoil and disappointment awaits them in the following years and decades. Manchester is not Barcelona. It isn't London. It isn't Brighton. It does not embody all my English hopes and dweams. Just beat the Cardiff and I'll call it quits.
I'm not a currently practicing psychologist, but I get the feeling you won't quite be calling it quits.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I don't think it matters whether the player or manager earns the most (from the point of view of creating unrest). I think the problem is the cost and value of the players, so you can't just ditch them if they're being divas, as you've invested too much in them. That's going to be the case regardless of how much the manager earns.

My point is that the earnings imbalance makes it easier/cheaper for owners to get rid of managers rather than get rid of players who are on huge long term contracts.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My point is that the earnings imbalance makes it easier/cheaper for owners to get rid of managers rather than get rid of players who are on huge long term contracts.
Well yes, it's definitely more affordable to get rid of one manager (and buying out the contract of a new manager is cheaper than even a single top player) than getting rid of several expensive signings.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
OGS has a major problem in managing those players and indeed any players who go into that Club. His name is Gary Neville.

The man is obscene. To use the language he uses about the players every time they perform badly is quite disgusting. The players will see Neville as an extension of Solskjaer. They are friends. They were team mates. He thinks he is helpful when he calls those players out for bad performances. He isn't. It is detrimental to what OGS is trying to achieve. Let the Manager deal with things his way. To start belittling the players in public won't solve the problems. That's what Mourhino did and they rebelled.

Before Solskjaer has words with players he really needs to have a sharp word in Neville's ear. He is more up his own arse than the players he is slagging off

The problem is that the G.Neville, Keane and Ferguson, as well as being winners, would've done absolutely anything (by hook or crook) to get an edge on challengers. It's ingrained in them to a fanatical, actually quite miserable, extent.

Any ManU player not up to that, is despised and condemned. With current players at all clubs being far more hedonistic and selfish, it must be hell for Neville and Keane to watch that at ManU. It's not going to change, as modern players and their agents seem to control the sport, so there are more media outbursts to come.

I do admire their passion and outspokenness though, for me it's better than the sycophantic Jenas and Lineker types.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

The problem with that is that it lowers the motivation to win the Champions League. We see it with our own domestic cups - the prize for winning them is small compared to the prize for top four premier league and the wealth that Champions League Football currently brings. If the big six see more money in the wealth of Premier league finishing places than in winning the champions league, they'll start resting players for the Tuesday night CL games so the first team is fresh for the league game on Saturday.

That is great if your prime goal is making the domestic leagues important. But UEFA are interested more in the money they get for the Champions League, money that would dry up if it essentially became a reserves league.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The problem with that is that it lowers the motivation to win the Champions League. We see it with our own domestic cups - the prize for winning them is small compared to the prize for top four premier league and the wealth that Champions League Football currently brings. If the big six see more money in the wealth of Premier league finishing places than in winning the champions league, they'll start resting players for the Tuesday night CL games so the first team is fresh for the league game on Saturday.

That is great if your prime goal is making the domestic leagues important. But UEFA are interested more in the money they get for the Champions League, money that would dry up if it essentially became a reserves league.

They’d still get gate and prize money. He was talking about media money, which they’d still get a share of.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I'd find it hard to be persuaded that labelling a city or team based on personal experience is reasonable. I joke about Croydon, but . . . . I'd find it even less easy to be persuaded by events (i.e., not my own personal experience). I had rocks thrown at me outside Sellhurst nearly 40 years ago. I'm not going to hold all Palace fans responsible :shrug:

My antipathy towards ManU is based on the FA cup final, with various other issues used conveniently by me to paint a picture (caracture) that pleases me in my vengeful moments. It is probably all bollocks, with the only grain of meaning being my annoyance about the cup final.

So what have the inhabitants of Liverpool done to upset you?

A few bits and pieces, some football related, some not. Just find them untrustworthy and far too clicky. That does not mean that every person from Liverpool is a bad apple, just that I will not shy away from telling it as I see it, and will never fall for that cheeky chappy caricature.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here