Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A Chris Hughton poll with a difference

Do you think Chris Hughton will be our manager next season?

• Total voters

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A lot depends on who comes up from the Championship and whether there are 3 teams worse than us. Norwich, Leeds and Villa look a stronger crop than the promotion sides of recent years while Burnley won't have the Europa League to hamper their early season form. Sticking with Hughton would be a big gamble in those circumstances.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Can't answer as I would probably be the only person that would never have taken him on in the first place.
Slow death football at its best.

Who would be seen to actually pull the trigger, Barber or Bloom???

You are not alone.

I can't argue about him getting us promoted. Since then he has been like Bambi caught in headlights.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
More than anything else, our opponents in the PL have now poured over hundreds of hours of video of our shape, method, tactics etc, and the smart managers in the PL, with all their performance analysis resources, are easily able to identify our one method, create a defensive plan to neutralise any threats, rehearse those on the training ground, and then create an offensive plan to get through our turgid centre mid and towering centre backs, and apply that. They know we have no plan B, because we have never shown it, so we MUST be the easiest team in the PL for an opposing manager to PLAY against, because we are the easiest team to out-think, and out-manage.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
A lot depends on who comes up from the Championship and whether there are 3 teams worse than us. Norwich, Leeds and Villa look a stronger crop than the promotion sides of recent years while Burnley won't have the Europa League to hamper their early season form. Sticking with Hughton would be a big gamble in those circumstances.

We cannot rely on there being three worse sides than us next season because there won't be. I'm not sure there are this season, we've just been very lucky to have so many poor teams near the bottom. On current form we are the poorest. Maybe its time to start thinking like we are a Premier League club, not just there to make up the numbers and hope for 17th place every year? Time for change, more so mentally I think. If players get the message every day that every other club we play is beter, fitter and stronger, it isn't long before they start believing that message.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It's interesting that we appear to be playing out the alternate Norwich scenario.

Many people believe Hughton was harshly dealt with by Norwich, but with the same scenario facing Brighton many on here were screaming for his blood.

I have to say it took balls to field last year's team at Wolves, sticking to his guns that being hard to beat will keep you up.
He believes in what he's doing.

Brighton in the Premier league was never going to be sorted in 2 seasons.
Those screaming for more attacking football, are the same ones screaming Hughton out, because we don't have the players to be more attacking.

As with Gus and his ceiling, CH effectively said yesterday, Give me better players and we can play better football.
As it stands the best we can do is park the bus and stay up.

The club has a choice to make, spunk more cash to try to become an established premier league club.
Or accept that the premier league experience is just an opportunity to balance the books.

I'm happy with the latter, but understand the other point of view is more appealing.

D

Deleted member 2719

You are not alone.

I can't argue about him getting us promoted. Since then he has been like Bambi caught in headlights.

Yes, he is one very dizzy deer!

He needs releasing so he can enjoy retirement IMO, of course, he could help out ROI as a defending coach.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We cannot rely on there being three worse sides than us next season because there won't be. I'm not sure there are this season, we've just been very lucky to have so many poor teams near the bottom. On current form we are the poorest. Maybe its time to start thinking like we are a Premier League club, not just there to make up the numbers and hope for 17th place every year? Time for change, more so mentally I think. If players get the message every day that every other club we play is beter, fitter and stronger, it isn't long before they start believing that message.

Teams will be looking at us and know because our attacking stats are woeful they can take more risks, putting our defence under more and more pressure. Don't forget, the fatigue factor of playing defensively will take its toll in time.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

I don't buy this idea that the players are good enough it's just Hughton won't allow them to believe in themselves.
I also don't believe for a second that Hughton tells the players that they aren't fit or strong enough.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
It's a great poll and HWT will appreciate it.

The answer is yes, regardless. Any other responses might be willful opinion for some, but in my view out of respect for what he has achieved I still think we owe him another season and with 4-5 more focused recruits in the Summer to give us more up-front and in the middle, so that we can really see whether the difference is the players he has to work with or his tactics.

I think that TB will see it that way too, so he is here to stay.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I don't buy this idea that the players are good enough it's just Hughton won't allow them to believe in themselves.
I also don't believe for a second that Hughton tells the players that they aren't fit or strong enough.

Have you not watched any of his press conferences? Before and after games? Our team goes out a goal down before a ball is kicked these days.

Hughton may not tell them directly but his constant bigging up of the opposition does the exact same thing. As for not allowing them to believe in themselves: Solly March, one player who should have progressed (because he has looked like he can) is told by Hughton "Don't go too far forward". WTF? Think about that. A forward being told not to go too far forward.

I give up!

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Voted yes as i THINK he will be.

Do i WANT him to be? NO

I Like the guy he seems a very nice guy, but there are other ways to play football AND stay up, see Bournemouth for example, i just get the feeling if Bloom gave him all the strikers he wants he would still want them to defend first.

The game is about scoring more goals than your opponents, not about hanging on to the point you start the game with. Of course there are going to be games where you have to hang on in there, but its not every bloody game as we have seen recently.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Voted yes as i THINK he will be.

Do i WANT him to be? NO

I Like the guy he seems a very nice guy, but there are other ways to play football AND stay up, see Bournemouth for example, i just get the feeling if Bloom gave him all the strikers he wants he would still want them to defend first.

The game is about scoring more goals than your opponents, not about hanging on to the point you start the game with. Of course there are going to be games where you have to hang on in there, but its not every bloody game as we have seen recently.

Hughton blew our chance to become safe with the negative approach to winnable games such as Saints and Bournemouth. Burnley was a freak game and I understood the defensive set up vs Cardiff because of what had gone before.

Anyone who thinks CH hasn’t fecked up, to a degree, this season is in denial imo

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I think we've gone as far as we can now with Hughton and his coaching team, they're being left behind now by younger coaches and different thinking. Even the Championship is different now, more teams are attacking and the teams like Stoke who thought they'd go straight back up can't even score a goal let alone win , sounds familiar

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
He was set a target by the board of avoiding relegation on a bottom three budget and it looks as if he may achieve that objective. It was the recruitment team who sourced Locadia, Andone and Jahanbaksh to boost our attacking options rather than CH, and the five league goals between them this season reflects more poorly on them than the manager.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
We are back to where we were when CH originally took over, the significant difference being that we are now in the league above. People were calling for his head when he saved us from relegation to League 1. He then turned things around by getting in better players and eventually changing the system to 442 - whether this was his idea or not I don't know (I seem to remember that he was persuaded to do it by others, as he does not like 442)

It is obvious that we now have to do that again - get in better players to allow us to attack more. The recruitment since leaving the Championship has gone from very good to poor. CH can only use the resources that he is given and whilst he has tried to make us more attacking, it has failed as defensively we have crumbled. So back to basics yesterday got us a very valuable point, which tells me that he has not lost the dressing room, but also points to the fact that the many of new recruits are not up to it.

I have read on here that we played great attacking football in the champtionship. I don't remember that - we were highly efficient defensively and broke with pace and purpose. We didn't necessarily dominate games, we were just bloody good at getting results. That is what we have to get back to.

Is CH the man to do that? He has done it before so why not again? Recruitment is the key here, not changing the manager.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He was set a target by the board of avoiding relegation on a bottom three budget and it looks as if he may achieve that objective. It was the recruitment team who sourced Locadia, Andone and Jahanbaksh to boost our attacking options rather than CH, and the five league goals between them this season reflects more poorly on them than the manager.

Nothing to do with how the manager sets up the team then? If the recruitment team didn’t get the manager’s approval for the signings then the set up is wrong, so we blame Bloom? Can you also explain why CH was saying that we had enough and didn’t need more players in January.

I never had CH down as a yes man, which is what he must be if he just rolls over and does the best he can with players being dumped on him (this is what you are suggesting, no?) , whilst saying he’s happy with it :shrug:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Because in January we were 13th and looking unlikely to be dragged into a relegation scrap. The club was confident that Groß and Izquierdo would be fully fit for the second half of the season and no one expected some other players to have a dip in form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
We hung on for a draw yesterday with 8 players who were in our Championship promotion team.
After 2 years in the premiership that isn't progress of any sorts and tells me we have wasted a serious £ millions on players who aren't up to Championship level never mind premiership level !!

If he does stay he needs a complete tactical rethink and countless millions to get us playing attractive winning football games otherwise crowds will drop off except top six games

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here