Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A Chris Hughton poll with a difference

Do you think Chris Hughton will be our manager next season?

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ignoring whether you have voted in or out in recent polls do you think he’ll be our manager come next season?

Can a mod please amend the actual poll question to make sense :rolleyes:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Ignoring whether you have voted in or out in recent polls do you think he’ll be our manager come next season?

Can a mod please amend the actual poll question to make sense :rolleyes:

Surely there are two questions.

1, Do you think Chris Hughton should be manager next season.

2. Do you think Tony Bloom thinks Chris Hughton should be manager next season.

For me, the answer to the first is no and the answer to the second is I don't know. I hope they will have discussions and he'll walk away rather than be sacked.

D

Deleted member 2719

Can't answer as I would probably be the only person that would never have taken him on in the first place.
Slow death football at its best.

Who would be seen to actually pull the trigger, Barber or Bloom???

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Only fair I answer the question as well Icy and I've put "No regardless", but I do think there are a couple of different options in play depending on if we stay up or go down, and I think he's more likely to stick around if we go down. Odd but this is why.....

IF WE STAY UP
We cannot have another season like this. Yes, staying up is the only goal at the start of the season but we've gone from relative safety to squeaky bum time. We cannot buy a goal, are parking the bus from minute one and the squad's confidence and togetherness is shot. There are rumours of a drinking culture and training ground bust ups. I have no idea if these are true and I hope that they are not, but the point is I've always been pro CH because of the measured way he conducts himself and the fact I always thought we'd have a good team spirit. Whether it's the new players or the tactics he's using, that togetherness hasn't been there. You can't fix that in a summer and a brand new squad will cost hundreds of millions (and besides, key players will have to stay). A different approach with much more attacking football will be needed to bring the fans and players back together and that's a totally new broom. CH gets a nice golden handshake, a glowing letter of recommendation and a role as ambassador until a savvy Championship team snaps him up. (Or falls on his sword)

IF WE GO DOWN
One thing that cannot be ignored is how great CH is in The Championship. His record speaks for itself at numerous clubs and I've always believed until a couple of weeks ago that he'd take us back up, and was therefore worth sticking with. For all the reasons above I no longer think this is possible, but to throw away that Championship knowledge would be madness. In that situation I can see CH "moving upstairs" with a younger coach brought in as the next generation. Poaching Nathan Jones back would be nice but it's not Tony's style and would only happen if he was free. There's an opportunity to find another younger coach out there who can be mentored though. I really can't see Bloom going to the expensive old failures club. Norwich found Daniel Farke, Southampton took a chance on Hasenhuttl, Wagner was good for Hudds for a long time. I'm not suggesting a German but there are coaches out there who can work out, especially if they have someone measured and knowledgable to refer to.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Unlikely that Bloom will pull the trigger under any circumstances. I think Hughton would resign if we were relegated as he appears to be an honorable man.

I thought exactly the same until the Bournemouth game. They seemed to be a lifelong partnership based on quiet season by season progress. Unfortunately it's clear from that game that we have regressed massively in the second half of this season and that it is now a choice between the manager and the players. Tony has to choose between his long term plan and his short term wallet. There are several players that need to ship out if Hughton stays and we won't get our money back for any of them.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I thought exactly the same until the Bournemouth game. They seemed to be a lifelong partnership based on quiet season by season progress. Unfortunately it's clear from that game that we have regressed massively in the second half of this season and that it is now a choice between the manager and the players. Tony has to choose between his long term plan and his short term wallet. There are several players that need to ship out if Hughton stays and we won't get our money back for any of them.

Personally, I agree. I think unfortunately the time has come for a change close season. However, I'm just not convinced TB will do the deed. Hughton himself may make that decision but nothing we've seen from Bloom previously suggests he will do it. There is something clearly wrong, not sure its a drinking culture as those sorts of stories always surface when a team is struggling but there is a problem. As you say if you put the whole squad up for sale how many of them would you even get your money back on? Mostly, the championship squad I suspect.

Radical surgery is required in an inflated market, with very little resale value to the existing squad. Whoever, is in charge, next season will be a tough one regardless of which division we are in.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Only fair I answer the question as well Icy and I've put "No regardless", but I do think there are a couple of different options in play depending on if we stay up or go down, and I think he's more likely to stick around if we go down. Odd but this is why.....

IF WE STAY UP
We cannot have another season like this. Yes, staying up is the only goal at the start of the season but we've gone from relative safety to squeaky bum time. We cannot buy a goal, are parking the bus from minute one and the squad's confidence and togetherness is shot. There are rumours of a drinking culture and training ground bust ups. I have no idea if these are true and I hope that they are not, but the point is I've always been pro CH because of the measured way he conducts himself and the fact I always thought we'd have a good team spirit. Whether it's the new players or the tactics he's using, that togetherness hasn't been there. You can't fix that in a summer and a brand new squad will cost hundreds of millions (and besides, key players will have to stay). A different approach with much more attacking football will be needed to bring the fans and players back together and that's a totally new broom. CH gets a nice golden handshake, a glowing letter of recommendation and a role as ambassador until a savvy Championship team snaps him up. (Or falls on his sword)

IF WE GO DOWN
One thing that cannot be ignored is how great CH is in The Championship. His record speaks for itself at numerous clubs and I've always believed until a couple of weeks ago that he'd take us back up, and was therefore worth sticking with. For all the reasons above I no longer think this is possible, but to throw away that Championship knowledge would be madness. In that situation I can see CH "moving upstairs" with a younger coach brought in as the next generation. Poaching Nathan Jones back would be nice but it's not Tony's style and would only happen if he was free. There's an opportunity to find another younger coach out there who can be mentored though. I really can't see Bloom going to the expensive old failures club. Norwich found Daniel Farke, Southampton took a chance on Hasenhuttl, Wagner was good for Hudds for a long time. I'm not suggesting a German but there are coaches out there who can work out, especially if they have someone measured and knowledgable to refer to.

Good, reasoned post. I too, think he should go regardless but with dignity. He has done a fantastic job but as the old cliche goes “all good things come to an end”. Now is the time imo but I think he will be given more time wherever we finish up.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I thought Bloom said or at least implied, at some point some time ago when things were looking rosier, that he would not sack CH if we were relegated because he would be the man to get us re-promoted. If corect it'll be "Yes, regardless"

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought Bloom said or at least implied, at some point some time ago when things were looking rosier, that he would not sack CH if we were relegated because he would be the man to get us re-promoted. If corect it'll be "Yes, regardless"

That is easy to say if relegation doesn't look a reality it may be different when the financial implication hits home.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't believe CH has any credit left in the bank to start next season.

We aren't going to start 10 undefeated playing expansive football.
The scars left over from this season will carry forward and the toxicity will increase to a point of empty seats.

So what would be the point of giving CH more money to spend and still start with Murray.

Conversely had we started this season as shite as everybody else, only to then do a Burnley, Southampton, Newcastle, palace, I'd be more than happy for CH to carry on.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Can't see CH getting ousted by TB

What I think we will see is subtle shift in transfer dealings to far more UK based players - this will have been a weakness we knew we had and why we got Ashworth on board

zefarelly

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Yesterday saved CH his job. And almost our PL status. Job's not done yet. If we stay up I think he will stay/keep his job, but I'd expect to see some substantial changes in backroom coaching and players. In fact if we go down I'd expect to see the same, but perhaps with the addition of a new head coach and either CH leaves or moves upstairs to oversee a younger coach like Nathan Jones for example. . . . .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here