Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 6 [now: 7] straight matches without scoring a single goal

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
11 hours! (If you count the extra time played against Millwall)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
What have you seen in this squad, that makes you think if a more positive approach was taken, we’d collect lots more points?

Someone asked on here that if one or two of our players played for another team, what would they be like?

Solly March under Klopp, Dunk under Guardiola, Bernardo under Pochettino, even Knocky under Nuno Santowhatshisname... Think about this. Really. Think.

We have talent and flair. We really do. I just feel it's so shackled under CH it vapourises. :down:

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Someone asked on here that if one or two of our players played for another team, what would they be like?

Solly March under Klopp, Dunk under Guardiola, Bernardo under Pochettino, even Knocky under Nuno Santowhatshisname... Think about this. Really. Think.

We have talent and flair. We really do. I just feel it's so shackled under CH it vapourises. :down:

Bissouma and dunk would fit in at a top 6 club easily. Possibly Bernardo too.

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
Bissouma and dunk would fit in at a top 6 club easily. Possibly Bernardo too.

I admire your belief but Bissouma is potential at the moment and Dunk’s lack of pace suggest to me they would not be top 6 players.Bernado lost his place to Bong.Enough said.No disrepect but I’ve felt for a long time that we often overate our players.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

anyone would look decent playing for Liverpool against Huddersfield . If we go down, let’s see who comes in for our playeRs. My money would be on dunk and Duffy and that’s about it.

That said, we looked a better bet with andone upfront last night. Glenn isn’t mobile enough.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Late March to early May 2015, 1 goal in 7 was also pretty poor. Are we now in the worst drought since 1970?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

When you think Lallana, Chamberlain or Shaqiri can barely get a subs appearance under Klopp, not quite sure where you think Solly might fit in.

John Stones equally struggles to hold down a place under Guardiola.

So I've thought about it, really, thought, and don't see how this feeds into the anti-Hughton narrative particularly.

Solly in particular had a raft of openings against Cardiff in those opening 20mins, he played well, but his final ball / decision making was poor, he took the wrong option most times. However, Solly is one of several players that have really improved under Hughton. The fact you are talking of him being able to mix it at a top 6 club speaks volumes for his progress.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The worry is that we do not look likely to set up a chance yet alone score a goal.

To be fair, Andone was a whisker away from scoring last night if not for a brilliant last ditch tackle by Rose. We can all look at stats, but that wouldn't have gone down as a chance, but was in fact one of the best chances of the game for either team.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yes ... But in general, do you think we're getting forward with the speed or numbers to create enough chances to win premier league games?

To be fair, Andone was a whisker away from scoring last night if not for a brilliant last ditch tackle by Rose. We can all look at stats, but that wouldn't have gone down as a chance, but was in fact one of the best chances of the game for either team.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Yes ... But in general, do you think we're getting forward with the speed or numbers to create enough chances to win premier league games?

Nope. But then we neither have the players with enough pace to get forward in speed and numbers, nor do we have the defense that can hold off the counter when we inevitably lose the ball.

You play to your strengths and, at this point in time, our strength lies in a defense play and trying to steal something from a set piece.

We play with what is largely a Championship squad and we, just about, hold our own... 17th is good enough to stay in the game. Is it fun? No. Is it pretty? No. Is it effective? Just about. Could we do something else? Tried that and got crucified.

We cannot jump from being a Championship club to being an established PL club quite as quickly as many on here seem to believe. We will hopefully stay at the £100m+ table, swap out a few players a season, get a little better each time, but be continually flirting with relegation. We may go down. A yo-yo club is a natural stepping stone between Championship and established PL.

Let's get real. We haven't spend £1bn on this squad, we don't pay £100k a week to bench warmers, we aren't actually very good.

But, for now at least, we are here. Let's play like we intend to stay... boring, dull, defensive football that gets us 40 points a season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Hmmmm, the OP, hmmmmm.....haven't quite decided yet. I'll keep an eye on his posting history and review at a later date...

Palacefinder General
I don't know what your main account is, but this one is my favourite.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
All about opinions and I get where you are coming from but I don't think Hughton should just be judged just on the last 6 games.
The fact that we have been missing our 2 most creative players from last season (Gross and Jose) for most of these games is a key factor IMHO
We've been missing them all season.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
We shouldn’t be judging ourselves on last night, we were 5 minutes away from a point against a team in the CL semi-final and in their new ONE BILLION POUNDS stadium.

We have players like AliJ being very harshly judged as they are being asked to play in a way that is foreign to them and doesn’t play to their strengths.
IF we stay up then the spine of the team in the midfield and attack needs sensible investment, preferably with players who have EPL experience and FIT our intended style of play.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We shouldn’t be judging ourselves on last night, we were 5 minutes away from a point against a team in the CL semi-final and in their new ONE BILLION POUNDS stadium.

We have players like AliJ being very harshly judged as they are being asked to play in a way that is foreign to them and doesn’t play to their strengths.
IF we stay up then the spine of the team in the midfield and attack needs sensible investment, preferably with players who have EPL experience and FIT our intended style of play.

Ali J is not being harshly judged at all. He wasn't getting any hassle whatsoever on here until 6-8 weeks ago. He is just rubbish. Incredibly slow, one footed, no goals in 22 appearances, he is shit.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Ali J is not being harshly judged at all. He wasn't getting any hassle whatsoever on here until 6-8 weeks ago. He is just rubbish. Incredibly slow, one footed, no goals in 22 appearances, he is shit.

You could stick Sterling in our team right now and he’d struggle. I’m not his biggest fan but last night everyone put in a shift. When you’re asking creative players to literally not cross the halfway line then what do you expect?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You could stick Sterling in our team right now and he’d struggle. I’m not his biggest fan but last night everyone put in a shift. When you’re asking creative players to literally not cross the halfway line then what do you expect?
I'm not judging him on last night, mate. In fact by all accounts it sounds like he played quite well (I didn't watch as I was playing football myself). But has he really done anything to justify that price tag at all?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Just seen that the top 6 attacking side Arsenal are three down at Wolves. Puts our tactics and result in that game and at Spuds yesterday in perspective.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here