Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Summer signings

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not true. In 2015/16 season we were top scorers (equal) in the Championship with 72 goals, the following season 2016/17 when we were promoted, we were 4th highest with 74.

Say what you like about Chris Hughton, and a lot has been said, he’s pragmatic and defensive when necessary but he’s also quite capable of advocating an attacking strategy. If we survive this season and he’s still our manager for the next term it will be interesting to see which direction we take.

For those of you in the “Sack Hughton camp” because of his boring but safe tactics remember Mike Bailey, and what happened in the aftermath of his departure.

The truth.

Revisionists with very short memories, have falsely painted a picture of dire, negative football from August 15 to April 17. When in fact, the opposite was true in the overwhelming majority of matches. I can’t recall threads questioning “CH and his awful football”.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Yeah that midfielder who plays for Argentinos Juniors who sit 26th in the Argie Primera division, i.e rock bottom.

Hopefully one for the future, not sure if he's PL ready

So another wasted 10m !

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Some quality players in the championship we should look at. Bournemouth found David Brooks, Lewis Cook in the championship, Leicester found James Maddison, it's a league we should really look to recruit more from rather than the crap we like to dredge from the eredivisie. Players like Said Benrahma, Che Adams, Oli McBurnie, Dan James, Will Vaulks, Reece James all worth a look in the summer.

I 'found' the likes of David Brooks when he was playing for Shef Utd. and I am no Boy Scout, it was obvious that some club in the Prem was going to go in and sign him - Why not us ??

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Strange: I thought we played with far more attacking intent and fluency in The Championship. Perhaps Mourinho and Moyes are managers who can't change, but what does that prove about CH?

He’s of the same ilk and he’s not changed, systematically at least, from his Norwich days.

We didn’t play with more attacking intent particularly, at least systematically. We just had better players than most teams and a couple of stand out individuals for that level who would win us most games because they’d be given more opportunities to get into good positions due to the lesser class of defence they were facing.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Available on free transfers include: balotelli, Carroll, Giroud, dzagovic, Herrera,kruse, mata, Milner. Some big wages, big attitudes but improvement and no transfer free. Imagine if you get Andy Carroll actually fit for a whole season (okay too much to expect say 3 months)

If you think for a second that Andy Caroll is the answer to our problems, then the question being asked is clearly bloody ridiculous.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah that midfielder who plays for Argentinos Juniors who sit 26th in the Argie Primera division, i.e rock bottom.

You mean the 20 year old fella who is an attacking midfielder/second forward, fast, skillful, seemingly always attacking with 5 goals from 19 starts.
Playing in a league that isn't the Premier League, La Liga or Bundesliga so therefore vastly inferior to where the Albion currently play.

I know all the cool kidz love to call every new signing shitehouse, but let's at least wait until he's on the same continent as the rest of the team before starting to chip away at him.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Some quality players in the championship we should look at. Bournemouth found David Brooks, Lewis Cook in the championship, Leicester found James Maddison, it's a league we should really look to recruit more from rather than the crap we like to dredge from the eredivisie. Players like Said Benrahma, Che Adams, Oli McBurnie, Dan James, Will Vaulks, Reece James all worth a look in the summer.

To be fair, weren't we after Maddison?

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
I know all the cool kidz love to call every new signing shitehouse, but let's at least wait until he's on the same continent as the rest of the team before starting to chip away at him.

I think that depends on whether or not he wears gloves..

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think that depends on whether or not he wears gloves..

He's a Jocko so no.
But
He's an Argie so deffo.

Basically anything other than this

Rare-MJ-Michael-Jackson-Both-Side-Rhinestone-Silver-Crystal-Handmade-Glove-Collection-For-Billie.jpg

and I'll be boooooing him.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Ademola Lookman. Winger
Now playing at Everton but is unused on many an occasion so mainly appears only as sub. I know we have more urgent midfield signings to make but I would like to see our left winger position sorted too. Izquierdo as back up to Lookman would do for me in that area (under the right manager). I feel the right wing is ok, Knockaert and Solly would be flying given the correct management I believe.
So many issues with midfield it’s hard to know where to start. Anyone proven at this level currently in the Premier League would be great but would they come if Hughton was still the manager? I’m guessing not. My only request to our recruitment lot is DON’T go and buy more dross from the Dutch league please, should have learnt our lesson by now surely ��

Good call. Ben Davies from Everton too. Hardly ever starts.
I’d have a good look at Billings and Mooy from Huddersfield.
Jarrod Bowen from Hull. If Villa go up they will surely try and sign Tammy Abrahams but if not we should try.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He’s of the same ilk and he’s not changed, systematically at least, from his Norwich days.

We didn’t play with more attacking intent particularly, at least systematically. We just had better players than most teams and a couple of stand out individuals for that level who would win us most games because they’d be given more opportunities to get into good positions due to the lesser class of defence they were facing.
Ah, so then we had better players than the other teams - now we don't.

I rest my case.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
To be fair, weren't we after Maddison?

Yes, and I'd have been seriously worried if we weren't, but the point being is we need to put our money where our mouths are with these players. Maddison could well have chosen Leicester anyway, but we need to be prepared to bid a bit extra for these players who are used to English footy & ready to go rather than trying to find cheaper alternatives abroad where they will take a season to get going or have a higher chance of being total flops.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good call. Ben Davies from Everton too. Hardly ever starts.
I’d have a good look at Billings and Mooy from Huddersfield.
Jarrod Bowen from Hull. If Villa go up they will surely try and sign Tammy Abrahams but if not we should try.

Blimey there's a fair few posters on this thread who should

Never

Ever

Never ever

Volunteer for The Samaritan's.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Milner for me. A true leader and has got better as he has got older. Very versatile. Not always what is done on the pitch every game but being around the squad.

Just realised he's only 33 so could get 2 years out of him.

Still a relatively regular starter at Anfield, and as you say only 33, so why wiould he want to come to Brighton? especially for the vastly reduced salary that he would earn here.

Otherwise, yes a good call, and I agree, the sort of player that we badly need.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I'm sure he isn't Premier League ready!

The same applies to Tau and Arce, even if they are granted work permits.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm sure he isn't Premier League ready!

The same applies to Tau and Arce, even if they are granted work permits.

Damn straight.
Boooooooo.

Should have signed Barnes. :rolleyes:

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Issac Hayden {Centre Midfield - Newcastle} - linked to him last summer, now 1st choice but needs to move south for family reasons. Was willing to take pay cut to move.
Reece James [Right Back - On loan at Wigan from Chelsea}
Jarred Bowen { Hull}

Can see recruitment change to young British players with Ashworth now in charge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here