Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Summer signings

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Available on free transfers include: balotelli, Carroll, Giroud, dzagovic, Herrera,kruse, mata, Milner. Some big wages, big attitudes but improvement and no transfer free. Imagine if you get Andy Carroll actually fit for a whole season (okay too much to expect say 3 months)

Out of those Juan Mata, but massive wages, plus signing on fee, but big friends with Bruno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Raid Fulham.
Mitrovic and Sessegnon

No thank yoju, Sessegnon will go to Spurs and why do we want Mitrovic he is the same as Murray but younger and onlyt scores against us. I thought that people wanted to change our style from a target man in which case we dont need Mitrovic. People keep on about pace it is not speed of foot we need in midfield but speed of thought.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Available on free transfers include: balotelli, Carroll, Giroud, dzagovic, Herrera,kruse, mata, Milner. Some big wages, big attitudes but improvement and no transfer free. Imagine if you get Andy Carroll actually fit for a whole season (okay too much to expect say 3 months)

I actually think a fit Andy Carroll would fit into this side perfectly. (Can't believe I said that) However, lets be honest, he won't be fit and probably never will be again. Shelvey would also be a decent signing, mad as a march hare but has the quality of passing and delivery to make a real difference to our side. We need a midfield that can play off scraps and has the forward line to either A) Hold it up effectively (Carroll esq) or B) with enough pace to run in behind and turn around other teams that way. I wouldn't sign Carroll for the fitness reason, but I actually think Shelvey for Stephens strengthens us and then we need to find another viable CF option. (Yes I know he will get sent off regularly)

We won't be able to sign 6 or 7 1st team players lets be realistic, but the right one or two plus some actual competition for the others would be a start. Wing options with genuine pace would also be a priority for me.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Why would he do any better, playing on his own without a team mate within 40 yards, and none ever busting a gut to come up and join him? Andone and Locadia might score a few more goals if they were getting the right service and support.

We need a proper midfield. That is our number one priority - maybe even our only priority; other positions would be playing much better if midfield was bossing the game, spraying around killer passes, supporting the attack and chipping in with a few goals (even the defence would concede less if they weren't backs-to-the-wall defending 90% of the time).

To be fair I think it's as much about tactics and the way that we set up, as it is about individual oplayers. You merntion our midfield, the reason that they don't get within forty yards of our forward line is down to the rigid system that they are asked to play.

We have players like Davy Propper who loves to get forward and has scored goals throughout his career. It can't be a conincidence that his goals and assists ratios dried up the minute he signed for the Albion.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Carroll, no. Never fit, never going to be. Move on from this one please. We’ll get more from a 36 year old Glenn Murray than Carroll
As for Shelvey, again no. Great player but too lazy and too disruptive in the dressing room. These are the reasons he hasn’t played for Newcastle(according to a Toon supporting mate).
Stephens can still do a job sitting in front of the back 4, but needs to be supported by pace and creativity. Our weak link in midfield this season has been Propper. Bissouma is a talent, but still a little too unpredictable at the moment.
We need to get Gross fit over the summer and work out how to get 90 mins out of him week after week and same with Izquierdo(although he often looks disinterested due to the expectation that he has to defend). Offload Propper though, that hasn’t worked, or play him in the 10 role where he was good for PSV

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
We all know that we will need to replace Murray or rely on Locadia or Andone to fill the bill., I would suggest that we look at Rondon currently on loan to Newcastle.

Sadly this thread is getting ahead of ourselves. We can’t even contemplate who we might sign until we know what league we’re in next year ! Most of the names mentioned in this thread wouldn’t come near us if we’re in the Championship next season. Let’s try and secure safety before we speculate on new signings !

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Milner for me. A true leader and has got better as he has got older. Very versatile. Not always what is done on the pitch every game but being around the squad.

Just realised he's only 33 so could get 2 years out of him.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Ademola Lookman. Winger
Now playing at Everton but is unused on many an occasion so mainly appears only as sub. I know we have more urgent midfield signings to make but I would like to see our left winger position sorted too. Izquierdo as back up to Lookman would do for me in that area (under the right manager). I feel the right wing is ok, Knockaert and Solly would be flying given the correct management I believe.
So many issues with midfield it’s hard to know where to start. Anyone proven at this level currently in the Premier League would be great but would they come if Hughton was still the manager? I’m guessing not. My only request to our recruitment lot is DON’T go and buy more dross from the Dutch league please, should have learnt our lesson by now surely ��

Agree with this. Pacy young player who, most importantly, is used to english footy

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
To be fair I think it's as much about tactics and the way that we set up, as it is about individual oplayers. You merntion our midfield, the reason that they don't get within forty yards of our forward line is down to the rigid system that they are asked to play.

We have players like Davy Propper who loves to get forward and has scored goals throughout his career. It can't be a conincidence that his goals and assists ratios dried up the minute he signed for the Albion.

Don't be too rational. It's not befitting of these boards.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Milner for me. A true leader and has got better as he has got older. Very versatile. Not always what is done on the pitch every game but being around the squad.

Just realised he's only 33 so could get 2 years out of him.

There's no way Liverpool are going to get rid of Milner, Shirely?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
There's no way Liverpool are going to get rid of Milner, Shirely?

Well there's confusion over whether he's contract is up this summer but if it is, he'll be a free agent. Sooner pay him 5 million a year than buy a flop for 15 million

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Well there's confusion over whether he's contract is up this summer but if it is, he'll be a free agent. Sooner pay him 5 million a year than buy a flop for 15 million

Milner's a very good player. I just can't believe Liverpool wouldn't offer him a new contract.

But if we have the opportunity to get him for a year and we're still in the league, I'd jump at it. Albeit, he's not going to solve the tactical issues we have as he arguably a similar (but better) version of what we already have. And can you imagine moving from Liverpool's team to ours... it would be chalk and cheese for him.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Milner's a very good player. I just can't believe Liverpool wouldn't offer him a new contract.

But if we have the opportunity to get him for a year and we're still in the league, I'd jump at it. Albeit, he's not going to solve the tactical issues we have as he arguably a similar (but better) version of what we already have. And can you imagine moving from Liverpool's team to ours... it would be chalk and cheese for him.

He would be the link between defence and the forward/s something we don't have.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
He would be the link between defence and the forward/s something we don't have.

Would he? In what way would he be that link? Tactically I mean? He's not got the pace to get up and support an isolated Murray or Andone, he's not a ball carrier, he's not an especially incisive passer of the ball. Yes, he's more of a box to box player than Stephens, but being a box to box player is utterly irrelevant if the team isn't moving in unison up and down the pitch (which we currently don't do). And I don't see him as a purely sitting player either. So how does he do that tactically in a CH system?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Would he? In what way would he be that link? Tactically I mean? He's not got the pace to get up and support an isolated Murray or Andone, he's not a ball carrier, he's not an especially incisive passer of the ball. Yes, he's more of a box to box player than Stephens, but being a box to box player is utterly irrelevant if the team isn't moving in unison up and down the pitch (which we currently don't do). And I don't see him as a purely sitting player either. So how does he do that tactically in a CH system?

Never mentioned CH system as I want a new approach meaning a change of manager

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Balotelli.

Fails the ‘no dick head’ test in the most extraordinary manner possible BUT if we could get him fit, this 28 year old could bag 20 goals in a season.

Probably a no though.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
We have already signed that MaCalister bloke from Argentina don’t forget.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here