Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Summer signings

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Milner for me. A true leader and has got better as he has got older. Very versatile. Not always what is done on the pitch every game but being around the squad.

Just realised he's only 33 so could get 2 years out of him.

If you go back no doubt you will find that I suggested him last summer but the reason we wouldn't sign him are the same as being mentioned now. We need a player like him or Sissoko, Wanyama hence my suggestion about Drinkwater who I believe could be a realistic target as he needs to relaunch his career

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I don't think we've got any hope of signing Reece James on a permanent deal, but a season long loan might be a realistic ambition.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
Without a quality midfield we don't score. I'm happy with the back but midfield needs an overhaul and Murray replaced. I would keep Murray as an impact sub and get him onto the training team..

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
From now on I'm going to make the natural assumption anyone suggesting Andy Carroll is actually a palace fan

luge

Dec 18, 2010
Hard to suggest replacements as I haven't watched enough lower league/foreign football this season but:

More dynamic midfield a must. I thought Kayal was excellent yesterday and got us 10 yards up the pitch. Bissouma has it in him but he needs to be more disciplined. Look what Kante did for Leicester in his season there, he was the reason why they won the title.

We need some more full backs. No idea if Bruno can stay on, I think he has the skill to do so, but it's all about injuries but I'd keep him.

Murray is creaking, and it's time for a new number 9. We should have one for Mitrovic when we had the chance.

I'd be wary of criticising any of our attacking players in this set up - and injury has really harmed AJ and Jose this season. They may come good again. AK is too erratic, but worth keeping.

Ultimately we need to find a way of being further up the pitch, more often. Some of these players can do it - Davy Propper does it for Holland - and i seem to remember when we beat United at the start of the season we did it then, but it's the confidence to keep on doing it.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Hard to suggest replacements as I haven't watched enough lower league/foreign football this season but:

More dynamic midfield a must. I thought Kayal was excellent yesterday and got us 10 yards up the pitch. Bissouma has it in him but he needs to be more disciplined. Look what Kante did for Leicester in his season there, he was the reason why they won the title.

We need some more full backs. No idea if Bruno can stay on, I think he has the skill to do so, but it's all about injuries but I'd keep him.

Murray is creaking, and it's time for a new number 9. We should have one for Mitrovic when we had the chance.

I'd be wary of criticising any of our attacking players in this set up - and injury has really harmed AJ and Jose this season. They may come good again. AK is too erratic, but worth keeping.

Ultimately we need to find a way of being further up the pitch, more often. Some of these players can do it - Davy Propper does it for Holland - and i seem to remember when we beat United at the start of the season we did it then, but it's the confidence to keep on doing it.

We tried to sign Mitrovic last January, but Newcastle didn’t want to sell to a relegation rival.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We tried to sign Mitrovic last January, but Newcastle didn’t want to sell to a relegation rival.

Didn't try hard enough then.

Mitrovic isn't the answer unless next season we're only going to play ourselves.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
To be fair I think it's as much about tactics and the way that we set up, as it is about individual oplayers. You merntion our midfield, the reason that they don't get within forty yards of our forward line is down to the rigid system that they are asked to play.

Maybe, just maybe CH knows what he has to do with the tools he has got to stay in the PL until we can gradually draft in better ones.

It is just possible that if we had the likes of De Bruyne, Ramsey, Mkhataryan, Ericsson or Henderson (not that we're actually going to get any of those, of course) the 'rigid system' might turn out to have a few built in flexibilities. So, this summer the priority is to get CMs into midfield who are going to be a cut above what we've got.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Maybe, just maybe CH knows what he has to do with the tools he has got to stay in the PL until we can gradually draft in better ones.

It is just possible that if we had the likes of De Bruyne, Ramsey, Mkhataryan, Ericsson or Henderson (not that we're actually going to get any of those, of course) the 'rigid system' might turn out to have a few built in flexibilities. So, this summer the priority is to get CMs into midfield who are going to be a cut above what we've got.

Arguably no. Mourinho has always played a rigid system no matter the level of club he's been at. Moyes went to Utd and still played the same way despite it not being appropriate for the players at his disposal. There are countless other examples of managers who like a rigid approach who don't then adapt just because they have better attackers.

I'd also argue that a faster, better ball playing CB is required next to Dunk if we are to change our system. We really struggle when we push higher up the pitch a) when playing out of the back and b) because we're constantly worried about the ball in behind. These two things often fragment our team when we try to be more offensive, so a quicker ball playing CB would be necessary if we were to change systems or try to be more offensive.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Arguably no. Mourinho has always played a rigid system no matter the level of club he's been at. Moyes went to Utd and still played the same way despite it not being appropriate for the players at his disposal. There are countless other examples of managers who like a rigid approach who don't then adapt just because they have better attackers.
Strange: I thought we played with far more attacking intent and fluency in The Championship. Perhaps Mourinho and Moyes are managers who can't change, but what does that prove about CH?

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Main shift this summer, if we stay up, will be from ‘future thinking’ signings to ‘here and now’ signings. Just think the expectation will be for new signings to hit the ground running. Tony’s cheque book and recruitment team will need to be red hot to see us through to a fourth PL season

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
We have already signed that MaCalister bloke from Argentina don’t forget.

Yeah that midfielder who plays for Argentinos Juniors who sit 26th in the Argie Primera division, i.e rock bottom.

Hopefully one for the future, not sure if he's PL ready

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Centre Half is not an area where we need additions, midfield and up front is....... Mason Mount might be a better shout?

This no doubt. if we are going to compete and not be relegation fodder we need to spend 35 million upwards for a striker and 25 million upwards for a top attacking midfielder. Then 15 million each on 1 or 2 promising young English Championship players - right back etc.

el punal

If Hughton stays, he's always going to be defensive/negative (concentrate on clean sheet before goals) in which case, we may do a lot better by trying to be a counter attacking team and for that we need midfielders who can thread a pass and midfielders and attackers that can break with pace...... we have none such.

Not true. In 2015/16 season we were top scorers (equal) in the Championship with 72 goals, the following season 2016/17 when we were promoted, we were 4th highest with 74.

Say what you like about Chris Hughton, and a lot has been said, he’s pragmatic and defensive when necessary but he’s also quite capable of advocating an attacking strategy. If we survive this season and he’s still our manager for the next term it will be interesting to see which direction we take.

For those of you in the “Sack Hughton camp” because of his boring but safe tactics remember Mike Bailey, and what happened in the aftermath of his departure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here