Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] ***Player Ratings vs Wolves***

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It is all in context though, compared to others we may be shit but for where we are the boys dug deep and got a very valuable point against a side that have performed much better than we have.

But not great football I agree!

A newly promoted side, says swathes about us.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Stats can be easily manipulated to bolster an argument, as anyone who has studied statistics would confirm.

I have always felt player stats are pretty clear, e.g. a pass rate is a pass rate. Can you give me an example of manipulation?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I have always felt player stats are pretty clear, e.g. a pass rate is a pass rate. Can you give me an example of manipulation?

They’re not great in demonstrating guts, commitment etc. So, player X goes flying in for a tackle on the opposing playmaker. Doesn’t quite get the ball, goes out for a throw to the opposition. Playmaker is left in the floor in a crumpled heap crying like a baby, ref says no foul.

Next time there is a 50/50, said playmaker bottles it.

Stats show a missed tackle.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
They’re not great in demonstrating guts, commitment etc. So, player X goes flying in for a tackle on the opposing playmaker. Doesn’t quite get the ball, goes out for a throw to the opposition. Playmaker is left in the floor in a crumpled heap crying like a baby, ref says no foul.

Isn't that just a mistimed tackle then, as proved by the stats?

You're saying mental attributes aren't quantifiable?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I hear what you’re saying. But my point is that player stats are merely simple descriptive statistics. If a player has successfully passed the ball 60 times this is all it’s telling you. There’s no manipulation going on.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I hear what you’re saying. But my point is that player stats are merely simple descriptive statistics. If a player has successfully passed the ball 60 times this is all it’s telling you.

It’s part of the picture for sure....but not all of it

Having some good debates with junior on this who is studying sports science and wants to be a performance analyst........

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
I hear what you’re saying. But my point is that player stats are merely simple descriptive statistics. If a player has successfully passed the ball 60 times this is all it’s telling you. There’s no manipulation going on.

Stats in many sports can be misleading.10 passes to a player standing 10 yards from me but not advancing the play are not as good as me playing 5 passes over 25 yards that turn say defence into attack.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Stats in many sports can be misleading.10 passes to a player standing 10 yards from me but not advancing the play are not as good as me playing 5 passes over 25 yards that turn say defence into attack.

True. But a simple pass rate is quantitative. There is no qualitative element... which is what you’re now introducing. It is what It is, and yes it’s limted, but it isn’t misleading

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here