Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We really are not very good these days....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Its our home form, negativity and complete lack of ambition thats cost us

The away form has been woeful for the past two seasons as well. Really really woeful. Just a couple more wins away from home each season will have made life far easier. Is it too much to expect more than 5 victories away from home in two seasons?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Call me an idiot, but I reckon TB will sort it out, whatever needs doing. He has the full inside track on all player, recruitment, scouting, coaching issues or non-issues.

If he decides the day after the ManC match that CH has to go, so be it. Or, if he decides that we need to pay greater wages to secure better ACM’ers and strikers for the first team, or dismiss Winstanley, then so be it too.

I’m relaxed, I trust the bloke.

He'll have to sort it out and he's clearly no mug. What we have is not good enough for the Premier League and changes need to be made, but we have to trust the boss man to get those changes right. Ultimately, if he gets them wrong, he loses hundreds of millions of pounds and we get 46 games of more competititive, cheaper, potentially winning football.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The away form has been woeful for the past two seasons as well. Really really woeful. Just a couple more wins away from home each season will have made life far easier. Is it too much to expect more than 5 victories away from home in two seasons?

I’ve always praised the stoicism and resilience of the loyal thousands who keep travelling to our PL defeats, on repeat. Amazing supporters. Wondering if the craic with mates and some boozing, partly makes up for the results?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He'll have to sort it out and he's clearly no mug. What we have is not good enough for the Premier League and changes need to be made, but we have to trust the boss man to get those changes right. Ultimately, if he gets them wrong, he loses hundreds of millions of pounds and we get 46 games of more competititive, cheaper, potentially winning football.

It’s sure to be a more eventful and exciting summer than the last two, with significant personnel coming and going. Looking forward to it. NSC should be very busy too! :smile:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I’ve always praised the stoicism and resilience of the loyal thousands who keep travelling to our PL defeats, on repeat. Amazing supporters. Wondering if the craic with mates and some boozing, partly makes up for the results?

I travel on my own to away games (Billy few mates) but love the atmosphere that is generated by the fans , getting points has been a bonus. However I don't think i will be travelling too much next year.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
It’s sure to be a more eventful and exciting summer than the last two, with significant personnel coming and going. Looking forward to it. NSC should be very busy too! :smile:

Never ending street "signs" with players names on and BensGrandad utilising his extensive industry contact list for all the latest sources ;-)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I travel on my own to away games (Billy few mates) but love the atmosphere that is generated by the fans , getting points has been a bonus. However I don't think i will be travelling too much next year.

Respect.

If we stay up and buy say three outstanding players for positions where currently weak, would you continue travelling?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Respect.

If we stay up and buy say three outstanding players for positions where currently weak, would you continue travelling?

I thought Andone, Jahanbaksh, and Bissouma were three outstanding players and went to a lot of games H & A until realised they either didn't play or were not exactly THE answer when they did.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

I am fascinated by who will get shipped out to make room for more dross from Eredivisie. Is there anyone who will actually want any of our in contract players (Propper rumours aside)?

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
In the first half of the season what we had was good enough for the Premier League so maybe something else caused the slump

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I thought Andone, Jahanbaksh, and Bissouma were three outstanding players and went to a lot of games H & A until realised they either didn't play or were not exactly THE answer when they did.

Jahanbakhsh and Bissouma appear to be (expensive) ‘ones for the future’, with a lot to learn about PL football.

Perhaps we’ll have to acquire more established/proven players, who won’t come cheap in wages?

Ake, Maddison, Lerma, Rondon ... for example, hit the PL ground running.

With West Ham, Bmuff, Leicester and Palace, to name just three, willing to pay greater wages, it looks like we’ll have to join the club.

Or continue to toil away with moneyball recruits, trying to chisel out a win or a draw here or there.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

It was when I used to go away in the late 80s and the 90s. It was truly desperate then. It went from taking over places like Gillingham and Brentford in 87-88 to the terror of the Den in the playoffs, from a 6-1 drubbing on Oldham's plastic pitch, to Wembley against Notts Co, to trying to survive and watching defeat after defeat as the 90s progressed. Always, it was "win or lose we're on the booze". That's the Brighton way. However.....

I really want to start taking my son away but, at the age of 12, he can't drink, still gets a bit travel sick and moans like **** when we don't try.

I'll be honest, the longer we stay in the PL, the more I think I'll be able to get him to games. If we go down he'll be allowed (by the missus) to go to QPR (bound to be a night game), Fulham (been twice already), Brentford (more chance of actual Jesus coming back than getting tickets on his points) and Reading ("watch this son, this is how to not be a football fan").

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
In the first half of the season what we had was good enough for the Premier League so maybe something else caused the slump

If I was being brutally honest I'd say CH shit himself and thought he'd probably hit his bonus target by Feb if we just didn't lose. All of our new players want to win, not grind out points, with the exception of Locadia who just wants to make shit dance music.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
......with the exception of Locadia who just wants to make shit dance music.

... and bench press (but skip legs).

skipleg.jpg

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
You seem to be confused between a plan and a target. I accept that the target would be to stay up but do you seriously think that the plan was to be where we are now?

I think you may be misunderstanding my original post to be honest.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
We have been for much of the last 20 months, with the odd purple patch.

If we stay up, I reckon TB will up the financial ante, and look to address a first team with glaring limitations.

Agreed....and we dont really need a BBC website to tell us what is fecking obvious....mind you all we are doing here is chewing over the same stuff thread after thread

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
everyone says Ali J is better in second season?, and there's been some glimpses. He played well at Selhurst, so I'd be inclined to keep him.

But Locadia, who cant head the ball and has done nothing to justify his hefty price tag is a waste of a squad place.... there's far better out there than him, Ulloa was miles better.

Sorry, but Ali J is utter gash! I was at Palace and he was his normal poor self. Not a Premier League player as long as he has a hole in his arse!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 did not work at all imho, it was around that change where everything started to go south.

We did just fine with 442 in the championship, i dont get why we dont use it at home against bottom 10 clubs or something like 3-5-2.

Park the bus by all means at the top 6 away.

Its our home form, negativity and complete lack of ambition thats cost us, to listen to Hughton's assessment of our PL opposition each week, you'd think we were a league 1 club in the FA cup, far to much respect.

Bang on mate. One of the main reasons for fortress Amex going out the window to the likes of Burnley, Saints etc is because we had no Gross so lined up with a flat 3 in the middle. But what’s wrong with adapting the formation and going 442 at home against the weaker teams?! We were class and attacking in the champs. These weaker prem teams like us aren’t that much of a step up from the Chalps for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here