Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We really are not very good these days....

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
When Brighton beat Crystal Palace on 4 December to move into the top half of the Premier League, they were 12 points clear of the relegation zone.
In the 19 games since, they have won only three times and collected 13 points. If that form was replicated over a full season, they would have eight points fewer than West Brom's 34 in 2005, the lowest number from any team not to go down.

From BBC website match report.

If we do survive, is this just borrowed time until next season?]

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
When Brighton beat Crystal Palace on 4 December to move into the top half of the Premier League, they were 12 points clear of the relegation zone.
In the 19 games since, they have won only three times and collected 13 points. If that form was replicated over a full season, they would have eight points fewer than West Brom's 34 in 2005, the lowest number from any team not to go down.

Nope.
It's another £100m+ banked and a couple of months to make some sweeping changes.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Nope.
It's another £100m+ banked and a couple of months to make some sweeping changes.

Agreed. You'll still find some though telling you the approach of containment football to stay up is a disgrace and embarassment regardless of the prize.

Commander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 28, 2004
London

Yes. Hopefully Bloom can see this, and Hughton will keep us up this season, and then we can shake hands and say goodbye in a dignified manner in the Summer. On to the next stage of the plan.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

But if the first half of the season's form were replicated.....?

It has to be seen as a whole!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Yes. Hopefully Bloom can see this, and Hughton will keep us up this season, and then we can shake hands and say goodbye in a dignified manner in the Summer. On to the next stage of the plan.

So TBA planned for CH to just about keep us up this season ?:bla::bla:

Commander

Apr 28, 2004
London

peterward

Nov 11, 2009

There's a plan?

peterward

Nov 11, 2009
We have been for much of the last 20 months, with the odd purple patch.

If we stay up, I reckon TB will up the financial ante, and look to address a first team with glaring limitations.

History doesnt bode well (for me at least), when the totally out of his depth Hyypia was imploding, TB wanted to back him, give him more support etc, luckily Hyypia sacked us off.

A few people assume TB will bin CH in the summer, i really hope he does, but i'm not so sure he will.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
If that form was replicated over a full season, they would have eight points fewer than West Brom's 34 in 2005

It hasn't been though, has it?
We've been rotten since the turn of the year, that's true, but the fact is we picked up some very good results earlier on. That alone shows to me that we have what it takes to stay in the league. Big change needed en été, however

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I’d say that was the target. To stay in the division. Wouldn’t you?

You seem to be confused between a plan and a target. I accept that the target would be to stay up but do you seriously think that the plan was to be where we are now?

peterward

Nov 11, 2009
It hasn't been though, has it?
We've been rotten since the turn of the year, that's true, but the fact is we picked up some very good results earlier on. That alone shows to me that we have what it takes to stay in the league. Big change needed en été, however

The 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 did not work at all imho, it was around that change where everything started to go south.

We did just fine with 442 in the championship, i dont get why we dont use it at home against bottom 10 clubs or something like 3-5-2.

Park the bus by all means at the top 6 away.

Its our home form, negativity and complete lack of ambition thats cost us, to listen to Hughton's assessment of our PL opposition each week, you'd think we were a league 1 club in the FA cup, far to much respect.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017

If we stay up we have to use it offload players. They are worth more as ‘Premier League players’. We do not want to be stuck with the likes of Jahanbaksh and Locadia in the Championship.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Its our home form, negativity and complete lack of ambition thats cost us, to listen to Hughton's assessment of our PL opposition each week, you'd think we were a league 1 club in the FA cup, far to much respect.

Agree with this, though we have seen how when he tried to play better football in the more expansive 433 we were just destroyed. So i think it's about finding a happy medium now, and I also think that he's not the man to do it. Another factor which is massive is the recruitment. Recruitment team need a long think about the kind of player's they're after

peterward

Nov 11, 2009
If we stay up we have to use it offload players. They are worth more as ‘Premier League players’. We do not want to be stuck with the likes of Jahanbaksh and Locadia in the Championship.

everyone says Ali J is better in second season?, and there's been some glimpses. He played well at Selhurst, so I'd be inclined to keep him.

But Locadia, who cant head the ball and has done nothing to justify his hefty price tag is a waste of a squad place.... there's far better out there than him, Ulloa was miles better.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
If you flirt with relegation each year, eventually you run out of worse teams, and go down.

Therefore IF we stay up, we need some careful spending on players who can definitely hack it as this level consistently. Those who flatter to deceive every now and again (including a certain Frenchman I can't spell) are wasting our time and money, and theirs.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
everyone says Ali J is better in second season?, and there's been some glimpses. He played well at Selhurst, so I'd be inclined to keep him.

But Locadia, who cant head the ball and has done nothing to justify his hefty price tag is a waste of a squad place.... there's far better out there than him, Ulloa was miles better.

Did he play well at Selhurst though? I don’t remember him creating one chance, he had one long range shot that I remember; but from memory unless I’m forgetting something he was frankly average. You could even say he seemed better because he was simply just not as poor as he usually is. Which is a sad reflection of our expectations of our £15m signing

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
History doesnt bode well (for me at least), when the totally out of his depth Hyypia was imploding, TB wanted to back him, give him more support etc, luckily Hyypia sacked us off.

A few people assume TB will bin CH in the summer, i really hope he does, but i'm not so sure he will.

Call me an idiot, but I reckon TB will sort it out, whatever needs doing. He has the full inside track on all player, recruitment, scouting, coaching issues or non-issues.

If he decides the day after the ManC match that CH has to go, so be it. Or, if he decides that we need to pay greater wages to secure better ACM’ers and strikers for the first team, or dismiss Winstanley, then so be it too.

I’m relaxed, I trust the bloke.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here