Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Recruitment Dept

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
As I said they average over 3 goals a game against the other Dutch league sides which shows how crap their league is apart from them and PSV

And as I said, they are in the ECL semi finals playing against teams outside of their league.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It’s a fairly straightforward point so I am surprised you are struggling.

Whilst he is part of the final say, it’s the process prior to that.

Does he say, “I want a winger and CB?”

Is Chris then presented with a list of the top 10 Dutch footballers to choose from or is it broader?

What is the process that defines that list? When is the manager involved?

If it was me I’d want to see a potential signing play in real-time (Poyet did), after all as you are highlighting, his job rests on the success of the signing.

So whilst he does have the final say in terms, signings it is a collective responsibility and perhaps as big an issue, if the list is crap to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel I have entered the twiglet zone.

So are you saying he plays no part in preparing the list? ???

Are you saying that the other three guys and the scouts are allowed to trawl only the Dutch first division?

What about my point that Chris decides the strategy, tactics, and line up? ???

What role, exactly, do you think Chris plays at the club? If it is none, as you seem to imply, why employ him at all? ???

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
They still have a side in the last four. Italy don't, France with their bent PSG (like our Man City) don't. Say what you like fella, they are doing something right. They have beaten teams outside of Holland to get there.

Think you can start to see a picture developing here: Ajax are generally a good side to recruit from. History shows this, with Luis Suarez, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Eriksen have all come from Ajax to the PL (Alderweireld via Madrid and Southampton). You get a few duds, i.e Davy Klassen, but otherwise 'Ajax to PL' signings have quite a good success rate. Step outside of that bubble, as we have done, and you're taking a BIG risk.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I feel I have entered the twiglet zone.

So are you saying he plays no part in preparing the list? ???

Are you saying that the other three guys and the scouts are allowed to trawl only the Dutch first division?

What about my point that Chris decides the strategy, tactics, and line up? ???

What role, exactly, do you think Chris plays at the club? If it is none, as you seem to imply, why employ him at all? ???

LoL - The twiglet zone.....

No, I am discussing the transfer policy not tactics (that is down to Chris and I don't have a problem, as he is doing the best with what we have).
You are taking the Dutch thing too literally, it is an example.... (and a sarcastic one TBH).

The point that I am unclear on is, does he play a part in the initial list of players or is it presented to him, and it's like, this is what you've said you want, this is what we've found.....

EDIT - as per my original post, I really don't know hence the question and also hence why I thought it was only partial b0llocks when I responded to your post :)

Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Think you can start to see a picture developing here: Ajax are generally a good side to recruit from. History shows this, with Luis Suarez, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Eriksen have all come from Ajax to the PL (Alderweireld via Madrid and Southampton). You get a few duds, i.e Davy Klassen, but otherwise 'Ajax to PL' signings have quite a good success rate. Step outside of that bubble, as we have done, and you're taking a BIG risk.

Good post, shame Ernest can't see it this way, all Dutch are crap.You forgot the best of the lot... Bergkamp.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

No, I am discussing the transfer policy not tactics (that is down to Chris and I don't have a problem, as he is doing the best with what we have).
You are taking the Dutch thing too literally, it is an example.... (and a sarcastic one TBH).

The point that I am unclear on is, does he play a part in the initial list of players or is it presented to him, and it's like, this is what you've said you want, this is what we've found.....

EDIT - as per my original post, I really don't know hence the question and also hence why I thought it was only partial b0llocks when I responded to your post :)

:lolol: No worries mate. I take everything a bit too literally sometimes. OK, all the time. :bigwave:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I think CH and PW discuss our positional needs, PW comes with possibilities from his extensive scouting bible, then they work their way down the targets in order. PB/PW making contact.

The elephant in the room is that because our wages cap is £50k, whereas CP, Bmuff, Leicester, West Ham, Everton etc etc are all prepared to pay 2 or 3 times more than us, the list is restricted, with transfer forays into Holland.

Those other clubs simply say to the agents of Maddison, Lerma, Townsend, Sakho, Benteke :lolol:, Maddison, Felipe Anderson, Ake .... would your client be interested in signing for us on £100k or more a week?

We dine at lower class of transfer table, with more risk and on average a lower grade of player.

Will TB change tack this summer?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think CH and PW discuss our positional needs, PW comes with possibilities from his extensive scouting bible, then they work their way down the targets in order. PB/PW making contact.

The elephant in the room is that because our wages cap is £50k, whereas CP, Bmuff, Leicester, West Ham, Everton etc etc are all prepared to pay 2 or 3 times more than us, the list is restricted, with transfer forays into Holland.

Those other clubs simply say to the agents of Maddison, Lerma, Townsend, Sakho, Benteke :lolol:, Maddison, Felipe Anderson, Ake .... would your client be interested in signing for us on £100k a week.

We dine at lower class of transfer table, with more risk and on average a lower grade of player.

Will TB change tack this summer?

If we stay up we need to do something, football is evolving at a rate of knots, high press seems to be key. So we either need to learn how to counteract it (fast players) or we need to do the same thing ourselves (faster and more mobile midfield and defence).

If we start next season with our current 'slow' players we are burgered.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If we stay up we need to do something, football is evolving at a rate of knots, high press seems to be key. So we either need to learn how to counteract it (fast players) or we need to do the same thing ourselves (faster and more mobile midfield and defence).

If we start next season with our current 'slow' players we are burgered.

Exactly and shirley TB will act. We have to join the PL club.

IMO Villa will go up and spend big, CP and West Ham will do it yet again.

We can’t afford for a third season to be the slow, predictable team/squad, that rarely scores.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
We need pace and power! Also, someone to replace/compete with Stephens for that position who can protect Dunk and Duffy but also stop them from bloody retreating and throwing themselves around own penalty area. AJ has always been a poor signing imo. He's talented and got good technique. I suspect he'd play quite well in a Watford team for example but he hasn't got the power, pace, skill or strength to help us so WHY DID WE SPEND ALL THAT MONEY ON HIM??? CH tactics don't help but such a poor signing imo.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We need pace and power! Also, someone to replace/compete with Stephens for that position who can protect Dunk and Duffy but also stop them from bloody retreating and throwing themselves around own penalty area. AJ has always been a poor signing imo. He's talented and got good technique. I suspect he'd play quite well in a Watford team for example but he hasn't got the power, pace, skill or strength to help us so WHY DID WE SPEND ALL THAT MONEY ON HIM??? CH tactics don't help but such a poor signing imo.

Down the spine of the first team - pace, power, creativity, instinctive on ‘the transition’, goals.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Exactly and shirley TB will act. We have to join the PL club.

IMO Villa will go up and spend big, CP and West Ham will do it yet again.

We can’t afford for a third season to be the slow, predictable team/squad, that rarely scores.

Agree.

So we have several players who will get a pay rise as contracted to be 'highest earner' if we sign a significant upgrade. I wonder if the contracts have a 'ceiling' clause (anything above 60K has to be agreed and is not automatic)? I can't see we'd be so dumb as to write 6 contracts that would automatically bump 6 salaries to £100K a aeek if we bought, say, someone fast and decent? Bottom line is Palarse may be in trouble if the go down next season, due to their silly salaries.....yet....will they though? Relegation clauses . . . .? ???

My guess is that IF we stay up, TB may loosen the purse strings....being in the PL allows for a greater spend, but not spending means relegation and a vast fall in income. At some point a splurge is in order. Are we worth a splurge? We seem to be PL ready, all except the level of performance....

Yes, Burnley (low spend, still in the PL) and yes Fulham (mad spending and oops) but making the spend work is all about flexibility, pragmatism, nous and courage. To get where we are, when 20 years ago we were on a par with Rochdale and worse than Wycombe, is immense, and took great courage and nous, pragmatism and flexibility. We haven't lost that yet, shirley?

I don't think we are going to sink again just because there is a 50K mantra, a salary ceiling song cycle, and a wall in Tony's cellar with Special Numbers of limited quantity carved by tiny monks in the 14th century. If we stay up, I suspect we may raise eyebrows with our ambition.

Please.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agree.

So we have several players who will get a pay rise as contracted to be 'highest earner' if we sign a significant upgrade. I wonder if the contracts have a 'ceiling' clause (anything above 60K has to be agreed and is not automatic)? I can't see we'd be so dumb as to write 6 contracts that would automatically bump 6 salaries to £100K a aeek if we bought, say, someone fast and decent? Bottom line is Palarse may be in trouble if the go down next season, due to their silly salaries.....yet....will they though? Relegation clauses . . . .? ???

My guess is that IF we stay up, TB may loosen the purse strings....being in the PL allows for a greater spend, but not spending means relegation and a vast fall in income. At some point a splurge is in order. Are we worth a splurge? We seem to be PL ready, all except the level of performance....

Yes, Burnley (low spend, still in the PL) and yes Fulham (mad spending and oops) but making the spend work is all about flexibility, pragmatism, nous and courage. To get where we are, when 20 years ago we were on a par with Rochdale and worse than Wycombe, is immense, and took great courage and nous, pragmatism and flexibility. We haven't lost that yet, shirley?

I don't think we are going to sink again just because there is a 50K mantra, a salary ceiling song cycle, and a wall in Tony's cellar with Special Numbers of limited quantity carved by tiny monks in the 14th century. If we stay up, I suspect we may raise eyebrows with our ambition.

Please.

I really, really hope there is a ceiling, or no such clause at all.

Say we signed an exceptional striker or ACM on £100k a week, it would be madness if Dunk, Duffy Propper and Knockaert automatically doubled their pay.

That scenario seems far fetched, I can’t imagine TB being that naive.

It would inherently prevent us from competing with the rest of the PL for quality players.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Say we signed an exceptional striker or ACM on £100k a week, it would be madness if Dunk, Duffy Propper and Knockaert automatically doubled their pay.

It would inherently prevent us from competing with the rest of the PL for quality players.

How many are rumoured to have them? Dunk, Knockaert, anyone else?

Something needs to change in the Summer, we can't have our wage bill going up by an additional 100k just because we want to offer a new player who would massively improve our starting 11 a 60k deal above our current 40k cap.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Darren sick note Anderton had one in his Spurs contract.
He over doubled his wages when they signed Sir Less Ferdinand.

At the time his agent was with Lord Sugar, Dazza was genuinely lying on the physio's couch.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
How many are rumoured to have them? Dunk, Knockaert, anyone else?

Something needs to change in the Summer, we can't have our wage bill going up by an additional 100k just because we want to offer a new player who would massively improve our starting 11 a 60k deal above our current 40k cap.

I wasn’t aware that they we had these relative wage uplift clauses, until a few NSC’ers confidently informed us that we do. I hope it’s none.

We’re not getting lucky with digging out gems in the Dutch league, so TB will have to pay the going rate. No.10’s and strikers cost the most anyway.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Agree.

Please.

Hope you’re right.

Regardless of which of Cardiff or ourselves stay up, one of us will be favourites to go down with Norwich (and hopefully) Sheff Utd.

That means we are them looking at the bottom 10 again for competition. So it is essential we raise our performance levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here