Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Matty Ryan

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
This thread has not aged well. Bag of old toss anyway. He's done little wrong from what I've seen.

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
This thread has not aged well. Bag of old toss anyway. He's done little wrong from what I've seen.

Today he played well and made a save to keep us in it. He’s a top goalkeeper on his day, but lately there hadn’t been many of those.

Again, this is not a slagging session of Maty, but using data to prove that we were conceding 2 goals for every 3 shots on target. I don’t care about him kicking the ball, a keepers job starts with saving shots.

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
Really glad that he had a good game today and he is I think our best keeper but not sure hes all that.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
That was the Ryan I was hoping for today. Really solid and safe hands :thumbsup:

Other than when he was indecisive and they hit the bar.

Doesn’t command his area anything like enough.

But, as you say handling was good and important block after hit the post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Are you sure about that?

The partial scapegoating of Maty Ryan is NSC at its finest.

100%.
Watch it again, shall I and shan’t I moment.

Scapegoating though, come off it, discussion site, with differing opinions - we win and lose together, it’s just that some players do not perform as well as others....
(Which surely is the discussion?).....

Played better yesterday, but has been poor since returning from Asia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
He's made very few mistakes and yesterday made a couple of saves (and ones he should have done) but to many it's what he doesn't do that's the problem. His command of his area is really poor and his kicking is extremely poor, rarely reaching halfway when kicking from the ground. There's times you want a huge clearance to clear the decks, he doesn't ever offer this. His drop kicks are floaty chips. It just highlights even further how slow we move the ball forwards. Most keepers these days drive the ball forward at pace.

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
He's made very few mistakes and yesterday made a couple of saves (and ones he should have done)

And that’s part of my observation. He’s not made glaring mistakes (like against Atletico), not made a total balls up of a back pass. He’s just been beaten by shots. And it was a high percentage of shots on target. Some I would have liked him to do something a little different, or I’d look at it and think last years maty would have saved it.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
100%.
Watch it again, shall I and shan’t I moment.

Scapegoating though, come off it, discussion site, with differing opinions - we win and lose together, it’s just that some players do not perform as well as others....
(Which surely is the discussion?).....

Played better yesterday, but has been poor since returning from Asia.
Wrong. Maty was 100% correctly on his line as Wolves player shot from out side the penalty area. Deflection meant no possibility of usual anticipatory process (psychological refractory period anyone?) so he was still on his line as the ball looped up to the edge of the six yard box.

Should he then come flying out of his goal into a probable collision with the onrushing Wolves player and Duffy where anything could happen? Or hold his position and deal with whatever the Wolves player manages to produce from a low probability stretch with Duffy in attendance?

As it happened the Wolves player produced a fluky miskick that nearly found its way in but Maty Ryan did nothing wrong.

Describing Ryan as "poor since he returned from Asia" is classic NSC negativity - right up there with Hughton being "out thought" by oppo managers and no good on the training ground. Which PL teams have scored the most goals from set pieces this season?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Wrong. Maty was 100% correctly on his line as Wolves player shot from out side the penalty area. Deflection meant no possibility of usual anticipatory process (psychological refractory period anyone?) so he was still on his line as the ball looped up to the edge of the six yard box.

Should he then come flying out of his goal into a probable collision with the onrushing Wolves player and Duffy where anything could happen? Or hold his position and deal with whatever the Wolves player manages to produce from a low probability stretch with Duffy in attendance?

As it happened the Wolves player produced a fluky miskick that nearly found its way in but Maty Ryan did nothing wrong.

Describing Ryan as "poor since he returned from Asia" is classic NSC negativity - right up there with Hughton being "out thought" by oppo managers and no good on the training ground. Which PL teams have scored the most goals from set pieces this season?

Sorry I don't agree. As soon as that ball deflected he should have attacked it or stayed, but not hovered between the two, which is exactly what he did.

In terms of his return yes he has been poor. Awful at Fulham, culpable for two of the goals, and his shot stopping since then has been disappointing to say the least (hasn't he let in 17/24 until yesterday?). His diving is very flat, and he has been beaten on the angle a few times, Southampton home being a classic example, when it was in his favour, Bournemouth as well.

Until yesterday and the block on Dendonker, when was the last time you thought 'wow', don't know how he got near that?

I wasn't discussing Hughton and remain firmly behind him, great manager and is doing as well as he can with what he has at his disposal.

Hopefully Ryan has turned a corner and will get back to his pre-Christmas form.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
For me Ryan is our best value PL signing, a superb GK at this level, one of about three genuine PL quality players we posses. He won us three points at Newcastle on his own... for that reason we’re three points north of where we could have been. He has been worth every penny and he’s a battler too. My 5 year old son wants to be a GK because of Maty... yep - I rather like him, if he goes... well, mark my words, he’d take some replacing.

I also like the cut of his jib. The no dick heads rule is also to be applauded.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here