Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Matty Ryan

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I’ve played in goal and I’ve coached keepers. Ryan this year has been poor. He was at fault(not dunk) for Cardiff’s second on Tuesday as a more dominant keeper would have supported the centre back and not allowed a player freedom In the 6 yard box as he did.

Teams have realised that he isn’t the biggest or the strongest and so have adapted their games to suit which is why we are conceding so many more goals within the penalty box.

However, the biggest issue for me is his distribution which is woeful and that’s being kind. His off the ground kicks often goes out of play or place his defence in trouble, and we have to adapt by sitting so much deeper.

I realise that Ryan isn’t the sole reason why our form has dipped but look at how he commands his box....basically he doesn’t and that means that D&D are having to cover him constantly on set pieces.

For me Button, whilst being flappy and prone to mistakes, would start at the moment. He’s far more commanding of his box and is capable of distributing a better delivery for a counter attack.

Watch him have a blinder today now..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I’ve played in goal and I’ve coached keepers. Ryan this year has been poor. He was at fault(not dunk) for Cardiff’s second on Tuesday as a more dominant keeper would have supported the centre back and not allowed a player freedom In the 6 yard box as he did.

Teams have realised that he isn’t the biggest or the strongest and so have adapted their games to suit which is why we are conceding so many more goals within the penalty box.

However, the biggest issue for me is his distribution which is woeful and that’s being kind. His off the ground kicks often goes out of play or place his defence in trouble, and we have to adapt by sitting so much deeper.

I realise that Ryan isn’t the sole reason why our form has dipped but look at how he commands his box....basically he doesn’t and that means that D&D are having to cover him constantly on set pieces.

For me Button, whilst being flappy and prone to mistakes, would start at the moment. He’s far more commanding of his box and is capable of distributing a better delivery for a counter attack.

Watch him have a blinder today now..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His distribution prompted my blue-nose friend to say 'You should've kept Stockwhale' which made me spill my drink laughing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
His distribution prompted my blue-nose friend to say 'You should've kept Stockwhale' which made me spill my drink laughing.

Lol. He’s a right joker that Robbo isn’t he?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Whichever league or division we find ourselves in next year I would like to see us have Walton as back up to put pressure on Maty for the jersey rather than 2 keepers who are no where near as good and offer cover but not competition.

You really do talk out of your sphincter, Button played extremely competent in Ryan's place.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You really do talk out of your sphincter, Button played extremely competent in Ryan's place.

All about opinions but my heart was in my mouth every time the ball went near to him expecting a mistake for which he was renowned at Fulham. I also feel that neither him nor Steele offer any serious competition to Ryan to put his selection in doubt.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If Ryan doesn’t have a good game we’ll almost certainly lose

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Seems a different keeper this year, needed dropping from Premier league games but yet another Hughton default position of NO CHANGE, Ryan is always put as number 1.
He is too cosy and needed shaking up, this all started when he got his place back after playing for Australia, he should have dropped down the list.
No one in the Premier can be looking at him on current form.

Needs dropping? noooo. Admittedly of late his form seems to have dropped off a little bit, certainly distribution wise, but he has hardly dropped any clangers. In any case any of this perceived poor form that you talk about, has only occured in the last few games. For the vast majority of this season he has performed as well as ever as far as I'm concerned.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
All about opinions but my heart was in my mouth every time the ball went near to him expecting a mistake for which he was renowned at Fulham. I also feel that neither him nor Steele offer any serious competition to Ryan to put his selection in doubt.

I fear you are right, oh for a Tim Kruhl or a Niki Maenpaa to push Maty a little bit more.

D

Deleted member 2719

This is back to Hughton again should of always played Button at Fulham he had a point to prove.

Exactly, Hughton has the default of Ryan and Ryan knows, its the same with Murray, Stephens, D and D and arguably you could say these are the same players to have not performed of recent.

You have to have competition for players, Hughton should know that but seems scared to take anything that he considers a risk.

Instead, he shifts the blame when he is a huge part of it and others just say blame recruitment.

Rest would have certainly got their winning juices to flow again.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Completely agree! We have no one to put pressure on Ryan. I prefer Steele to Button but both very suspect!

The Albion

Apr 15, 2019
I thought Ryan was outstanding today.

He’s been one of our best players for so long. It’s a real shame some people are hating on him when he hasn’t exactly made any real errors. Ok he’s not been at his best of late, but no one has.

He’s quality and that quality will shine through.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That was the Ryan I was hoping for today. Really solid and safe hands :thumbsup:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I thought Ryan was outstanding today.

He’s been one of our best players for so long. It’s a real shame some people are hating on him when he hasn’t exactly made any real errors. Ok he’s not been at his best of late, but no one has.

He’s quality and that quality will shine through.

Indeed, many NSC'ers should be hanging their collective heads in shame this evening.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here