Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The South Bank, Molineux - the end that held 30,000

View attachment 107969

That was about half the ground capacity, and it's not as if it includes more than its fair share of the corners! I remember when the Albion fans were put there, standing on the top step you could barely see the far crossbar, which accounts for the apparent shortness of the roof. To the right of us stood the new stand, which nearly crippled the club financially. It was actually built whilst the original was still standing in front of it so that when it was eventually demolished, the pitch had to be moved maybe 30 yards towards it. The next pic gives an idea of what it looked like when we visited (note how that corner terrace has now been demolished)...

16465885383_f67329bc4b_b.jpg

This wonderful pic shows it in its heyday...

21325825978_8be3a3310f.jpg

Last edited:

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
That second pic is a thing of beauty. Football at its best.

Sure it was cramped, uncomfortable and dangerous in crowds like that on terraces, but what an atmosphere!

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Stood there in the away section to watch us play there sometime in the early 90’s. Absolutely vast terrace and at some point during the match a load of Wolves crew had obviously got around the back of our section and came up into it from the stairs just punching and kicking anyone in their way.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Was in there when we beat them 4-2 ,same night as Liverpool beat palace 9-0

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Funnily enough, the new stand they have built in recent years, was supposed to be part of all 4 stands being demolished and rebuilt, also has a blind spot.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Made my first visit there in 1979 when Wardy scored a hat trick on a frosty night just before Xmas. Since then, I've been eight more times and never seen a defeat. I'm going today (gulp !)

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Made my first visit there in 1979 when Wardy scored a hat trick on a frosty night just before Xmas. Since then, I've been eight more times and never seen a defeat. I'm going today (gulp !)

me too

the Wardy hat trick

haven't been there 8 times

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch

well done wolfie!

couldn't pop down to white hart lane or whatever it's called Tuesday :thumbsup:

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
I saw my first match at Molineux in about 1967. It was packed to the rafters for Ron Flowers' last match. It ended 0-0 and Wolves were promoted to Div 1 in seco d place with Coventry finishing above them. I saw Wolves beat Juventus in the semi-final of the Eufa Cup. Dougan got one for Wolves and Franz The Kaiser Beckenbaur netted for Juve. I saw Martin Chivers score a wonder goal in the final. That was in the early 70's. No ticketing in those days, just try and seek refuge in numbers. Molineux is still a great stadium but the old incarnation was fantastic. I spent many happy Saturdays in the South stand and when I got older and braver I went into the North with the skinheads. It was a bit scarey in those days and you were happy to get home in one piece.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
well done wolfie!

couldn't pop down to white hart lane or whatever it's called Tuesday :thumbsup:

Yes, I'm going, but I've yet to see us score away to Tottenham. The 1977 draw was amazing though. I used to go to WHL a lot in the 60s when I was in love with Jimmy Greaves, Cliff Jones, Dave Mackay, Alan Gilzean and Martin Chivers - and seeing the Albion appear there for the first time was out of this world.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Yes, I'm going, but I've yet to see us score away to Tottenham. The 1977 draw was amazing though. I used to go to WHL a lot in the 60s when I was in love with Jimmy Greaves, Cliff Jones, Dave Mackay, Alan Gilzean and Martin Chivers - and seeing the Albion appear there for the first time was out of this world.

was there for the 0-0 too

missed the Robbo victory though

el punal

was there for the 0-0 too

missed the Robbo victory though

Me too! There for the 0-0 in 1977 that is. Nearly 49,000 turned up for a Division 2 game. I remember Barry Daines, the Spurs goalie making two superb saves to deny us the win. Cracking day out. Can’t say the Spurs fans were exactly friendly towards us, and they certainly made their feelings known in the return fixture at the Goldstone towards the end of the season.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Did you mean the third pic?

Yes, the 3rd pic is best. I like the other one you added again though.

There are so many pictures like that in The Football Grounds of England Wales book by Simon Inglis. Almost all of those grounds (not Stadia) are gone or unrecognisable today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here