Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is relegation that bad a thing

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not great but I’ll be over it by kick off and looking forward to the season again :shrug:

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
It's probably a bigger deal for the club - financially, than it is for the fans - in reality in terms of the experience of supporting the club whether attending games regularly or not. Championship was pretty decent to watch and more competitive for a team like the Albion. And the home tickets are quite a bit cheaper for those attending individual matches which makes a big difference for some.

Reflecting on the last few years, the promotion squad really punched above their weight- it was a Championship level squad that just saw it all come together brilliantly. I then really do respect trying to hold on to a core of players who get you up and build on that- I'm just not sure enough has been done to transform the squad from Championship level to a squad that can comfortably exist in the Premier League. I don't have an axe to grind on anything specific but I guess it's a combination of-

-Players retained from the promotion squad who just aren't able to elevate their game to the next level
-Recruitment
-Squad / Team / matchday management
-Club management

The overall combination still feels Championship level to me. The club and squad in their current state are probably around where they deserve to be on paper having punched above their weight for the previous two seasons. To solidify a position in the top league may well have required a greater turnover of players; out with the old in with the new, which must be very tough to do just in financial terms,and also on a human level given the genuine spirit of togetherness that there was in the squad in the promotion season. As for the manager, hard to comment if that is the key factor given everything else involved. I'm inclined to think that with the right club setup and a more realistic level of squad CH might well still be delivering and wouldn't be being questioned in the way he is now. I appreciate his job is to make the best of all that but I guess there are limits to how much impact one man can have in the overall circumstance.

I'm not saying the club lack ambition, but they perhaps over-estimated the potential for the promotion squad and the club setup as it stands to be able to genuinely compete and solidify in the PL, and an over-achieving first season may have cemented the position. This season has really just been a reality check- to some extent I think the club have failed to react, but there is also an element of it possibly being too late as perhaps greater change should have occurred between promotion being secured and the start of the second PL season.

That all said, i still think they have a decent chance of avoiding relegation as being the 4th worse club isn't too much of a stretch, but I feel the club had the potential to deliver more than that.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I've already reconciled myself that we are going down and am fine with it. Disappointing of course but plenty of fun to be had in the Championship. Would I rather be in the Prem? Of course but it's the lows that make the highs so enjoyable.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I've already reconciled myself that we are going down and am fine with it. Disappointing of course but plenty of fun to be had in the Championship. Would I rather be in the Prem? Of course but it's the lows that make the highs so enjoyable.

This is where I am. I was pretty down after Tuesday as the inevitability of relegation set in but I’m now trying to look at the positives of being in the Championship to make relegation less painful when it happens.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
You've only got to look at the historical pattern of the Albion's season on season outcomes (years of lower division habitation followed by brief glimpses of the sunny uplands) to realise that if we are relegated it will likely be a long time,possibly another lifetime, before we clamber back up again. So, silly question really.

Stumpy Tim

Another one who agrees with this.

The implications of going down aren't terrible for me. I am not Tony Bloom though, and they would be much worse for him!

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Disappointing, yes.
Financially damaging, yes. (Requiring TB to invest again)
With recent performances suggesting that half the squad would not do well in the Championship battle then I could see us going straight to the middle next season like Swansea and Stoke, so it would take time to re-build and go again with viable investment.

Would it phase me? No.
I’ll be watching regardless and that QPR game was probably my favourite of that season, so I’ll take occasions like that whenever they happen.

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The player wages/fees budget strategy, leaves us in a tiny grouping with Hudd, Cardiff and Burnley.

With 3 dropping it’s almost inevitable that we’ll drop sooner rather than later.

TB took this path. and would’ve planned for either eventuality.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
With recent performances suggesting that half the squad would not do well in the Championship battle then I could see us going straight to the middle next season like Swansea and Stoke, so it would take time to re-build and go again with viable investment.

Agree with the rest of your post, but not this part.

It is the responsibility of Chris or whoever comes in to take stock and formulate a promotion capable side in close season. We have not overspent on wages and to be honest I don't think there will be much interest in our players, at least domestically.

We have players who would walk into Championship sides, they just need motivation and a system.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
the simple answer is What happened after the relegation of 1983 how far did we fall. I do not think that TB would allow that but in 1983 how many thought similar of Mike Bamber? We all thought next year we will be ok.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The big question will be would the players who stay have the same belief that they had in 2016/17 or 2017/18

I doubt it tbh. Those were 2 special seasons forged by a true team spirit which got us playing football which was way above expectations.
The trouble this season is that we carried on believing that would be enough and frankly the rest of the division have worked us out.

That is less likely in the Championship, where the games come thick and fast.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Not sure what the club owner and management have expected to be honest. It has been stated by Bloom and Barber we are set up for the PL, the infrastructure, the stadium and so on but to really expect to become an established club in the PL needs proper budgets. We have one of the lowest and are where we should be. Higher budgets don't immediately make you better, they do though raise the expectation. Currently we are a Championship squad with a few unproven foreigners.

Not sure how many of our current squad would get in any other PL team.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
For the club yes as the business model will be built on maintaining the astronomical revenues from being in the premier league.

For fans we have seen the team up and down through the divisions so we just get on with it whatever division we are in. For me personally I just enjoy watching the Albion whoever the opposition are or what division we are in

The strange thing is, many of us talk about the "ups and downs" but actually there is a whole generation of fans who have never seen the Albion relegated. Under about 20yo you will have no recollection of us going down. Been 13 seasons of just up now.

Above a certain age and you can be quite stoic, but this is the first taste of real defeat for many.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Not sure what the club owner and management have expected to be honest. It has been stated by Bloom and Barber we are set up for the PL, the infrastructure, the stadium and so on but to really expect to become an established club in the PL needs proper budgets. We have one of the lowest and are where we should be. Higher budgets don't immediately make you better, they do though raise the expectation. Currently we are a Championship squad with a few unproven foreigners.

Not sure how many of our current squad would get in any other PL team.

This... TB is a wise man and knew that we weren't going to be "established" at the first time of asking. The game is to stay up as long as possible, regroup and have another go. We will progressively get a better and better squad until we go up with a PL-ready team and not just a PL-ready infrastructure.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
This... TB is a wise man and knew that we weren't going to be "established" at the first time of asking. The game is to stay up as long as possible, regroup and have another go. We will progressively get a better and better squad until we go up with a PL-ready team and not just a PL-ready infrastructure.

I am 76 years old and dont think I will see us in the top flight again if we get relegated. Why cant we avoid relegation and strengthen while in The Premier.like in the summer. Had we bought 1 player in January that may have been possible so do the same every window. Make the aim to finish 1 place higher each year than the previous we would eventually then be in the top half.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
[/B]

I am 76 years old and dont think I will see us in the top flight again if we get relegated. Why cant we avoid relegation and strengthen while in The Premier.like in the summer. Had we bought 1 player in January that may have been possible so do the same every window. Make the aim to finish 1 place higher each year than the previous we would eventually then be in the top half.

Whilst it doesn't suit your timescales, to be become an established PL club you need huge sums of cash and a blatant disregard for FFP or it needs to be a sustained long term operation that will have periods outside of the PL.

The reality is that it is now a closed shop. Vested interests mean that entry to the PL Club is all but barred. The big clubs (mostly) had their billionaire investors pump unlimited funds in and then drew up the drawbridge and voted in rules to say no one else can do the same.

Like I say BG, not necessarily right for you but for the club, an all-or-nothing-spend-all-the-money-on-players strategy clearly isn't the plan for Uncle Tony.

We'll take the TV money while we can but long term stability of the club was always the stated objective and realistically that means being an established championship side.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am not suggesting wholesale purchases just 1 improvement each year. signing a Striker is the major problem and expenditure but other than I am sure CH is aware of 1 position that needs strengthening in the summer then if funds permit another one in January, that is progression.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
[/B]

Easy innit....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here