Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is relegation that bad a thing

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
We spent £78m to improve the squad.
That was clearly the intent, but as you say not the team.
The idea that you can buy one player and improve the team, is a nice idea, but in practice 1 better player doesn't necessarily improve the team.
And if that player gets injured you are significantly worse off.

Our best attacking players from last season have been out for most of this.
if Izquierdo and Gross had been available all season, I would argue we would have a few more points than we have now.

To stay in the league, it seems you have to be prepared to make a loss, even though the revenue is enormous.

It is a ridiculous situation.

Will Palace and Bournemouth stay in the Prem forever?
When/If they come back down to the Championship they may find themselves in a worse position than when they were first promoted.
I don't want that to be the case for us.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
As a fan I’d look forward to going to games and realistically hoping to put 2-3 past the opposition again. We won’t necessarily bounce back up, but we’d certainly be one of the contenders for promotion in the first couple of seasons at least. It won’t be ideal for Tony Bloom after having made 13m of his losses back last season, and presumably a bit back this season as well, but there’s no way someone like him and Barber won’t have accepted the very real potential of being 1 of 3 relegated clubs, so I’m sure pay scales and contracts have accounted for it. £45m in parachutes in season 1 will help, as will 37m and 20m in the subsequent seasons.

Crowds will also be fine. We averaged 26-27K while we were in the Championship for 6 seasons, so I’m sure the majority will stick around.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The big question will be would the players who stay have the same belief that they had in 2016/17 or 2017/18

I doubt it tbh. Those were 2 special seasons forged by a true team spirit which got us playing football which was way above expectations.
The trouble this season is that we carried on believing that would be enough and frankly the rest of the division have worked us out.

That is less likely in the Championship, where the games come thick and fast.

The telling observation is “the rest of the division has worked us out”.

Opposing managers must show recordings of recent defeats of Brighton and Hudd, and in part say replocate what Stains etc did. No pace, loath being high pressed, etc.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yes. It is a ****ing bad thing. What a moronic question...

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
[/B]

I am 76 years old and dont think I will see us in the top flight again if we get relegated. Why cant we avoid relegation and strengthen while in The Premier.like in the summer. Had we bought 1 player in January that may have been possible so do the same every window. Make the aim to finish 1 place higher each year than the previous we would eventually then be in the top half.

Radio Sussex said just that on Tuesday evening .... behind our false lofty league position at New Year, “we’d been outplayed in so many games. We should’ve invested in quality in January in ACM/up front”. They confidentally stated they’d said just that in Jan.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I think that we have spent about £78m but not improved the side noticeably. Had we spent £30M on one player we may have done.

So you think we havent improved on the players we replaced? Murphy, Skalak, Norwood, Goldsone, Rosenior,Sidwell etc. Having a stronger squad and a slightly better first 11 does not mean we will easily get back up either though.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
The big question will be would the players who stay have the same belief that they had in 2016/17 or 2017/18

I doubt it tbh. Those were 2 special seasons forged by a true team spirit which got us playing football which was way above expectations.
The trouble this season is that we carried on believing that would be enough and frankly the rest of the division have worked us out.

That is less likely in the Championship, where the games come thick and fast.

That's certainly the difficult thing to recreate. I think characters were so important in our promotion, we signed a lot of experienced players, players who were or had been captains. I think if we go down we'll need to bring in some players prepared to roll their sleeves up and fight rather than just use our parachute money to buy the most talented players. I'm confident we'd do well though. I think we've got good people at the top of the club who'll keep calm and have a clear and prepared plan.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
So you think we havent improved on the players we replaced? Murphy, Skalak, Norwood, Goldsone, Rosenior,Sidwell etc. Having a stronger squad and a slightly better first 11 does not mean we will easily get back up either though.

Norwood (about to be promoted possibly), yes, especially if it meant getting rid of Sideways Stephens. Even Murphy would add something, even if it is only a bit of pace and nothing else. He would at least go forward. Sorry, flaw in that: Hughton Out wouldn't let him.

Rosenior and Sidwell show that they have been missed a lot. Nobody has replaced their spirit or endeavour.

Despite spunking all of £78 Million our whole set up looks weaker to me. A 35 year old, as great has he has been and without his goals we'd be f.ucked, as our main striker was suicide. Not upgrading Stephens was not good. Not playing new signings at the start of the season (apart from Locadia) has proven costly-they might be motivated and PL ready now we need them to be.

There have been some appalling decisions made at the club this season, not least of which has been keeping Hughton Out as manager when we could all see it unravelling before Christmas.

Hindsight's great!

Pah! and Bollocks to 'em.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Not enough. Relentless losses, no goals, defeats by the basement clubs ... shows we’re a justifiably a poor PL team.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I don’t think we were as premiership ready as Barber made out and I think that this increased expectations of what would happen in the first few years. I hope we stay up and can enjoy the income and invest it better than we have in premier league talent. I think this season will bring the management team some sharp focus on what the club wants and what it’s fans want. If there is a disparity then it won’t bode well.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I think that we have spent about £78m but not improved the side noticeably. Had we spent £30M on one player we may have done.

Very much so and the core of the team look tired of battling. £30million might have .....quite right. How much would Zaha go for ?, probably at least £60 million and £120k a week. We have simply not invested in enough proven quality and chickens come home to roost.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I don’t think we were as premiership ready as Barber made out and I think that this increased expectations of what would happen in the first few years. I hope we stay up and can enjoy the income and invest it better than we have in premier league talent. I think this season will bring the management team some sharp focus on what the club wants and what it’s fans want. If there is a disparity then it won’t bode well.

When did Barber make out that our team was Premier League ready?

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
I love the Championship.

46 games. Generally we are one of the better clubs.

I’d sooner be a contender than just being there to make up the numbers

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I love the Championship.

46 games. Generally we are one of the better clubs.

I’d sooner be a contender than just being there to make up the numbers

Definitely positives.

I always feel for the loyal travelling fans, who roll up at Goodison, KingPower, Emirates, Spuds and Stamford Bridge, knowing it’s a near certain defeat, a near certain outclassed and a neat certain zero goals.

Is that a meaningful football experience?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Definitely positives.

I always feel for the loyal travelling fans, who roll up at Goodison, KingPower, Emirates, Spuds and Stamford Bridge, knowing it’s a near certain defeat, a near certain outclassed and a neat certain zero goals.

Is that a meaningful football experience?

I definitely want us to stay up, but have some very fond memories of years gone by of visiting such outposts as Rochdale, Oldham, Shrewsbury, Peterborough, Aldershot, Bristol Rovers and many others. Used to be able just to turn up, sit where you liked and have a good laugh with the locals.
Happy days!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here