Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Water canons are the answer

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Not saying that the solution was to allow the burning of fossil fuel... Just pointing out the at real cost of *not* polluting the atmosphere is that the West will have to pay for the rest of the world to industrialise in a cleaner, greener way.

To stop the lesser developed countries polluting the West have to pay for the investment in renewable energy and give it to them for free as an incentive to develop is a more sustainable way than the West did.

Ultimately though the planet has been damaged irrevocably already. Our species is doomed and something is will take over just like mammals replaced dinosaurs.

I am in now way an expert on this and if you say we are doomed, then I assume your knowledge is better than mine. But I wonder how many folk really believe all the doomsday predictions; we hear so many. I also wonder if there was a prediction in the past that said that in 2019 we will all be finished, which will of course be conveniently ignored and forgotten. I am not saying for one moment that the world does not face ecological disaster -I am sure that there is validity in the warnings - but just think that the continual predictions of catastrophe might have the opposite effect, as folk think - oh not again; how manty more times.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
[/B]

I am in now way an expert on this and if you say we are doomed, then I assume your knowledge is better than mine. But I wonder how many folk really believe all the doomsday predictions; we hear so many. I also wonder if there was a prediction in the past that said that in 2019 we will all be finished, which will of course be conveniently ignored and forgotten. I am not saying for one moment that the world does not face ecological disaster -I am sure that there is validity in the warnings - but just think that the continual predictions of catastrophe might have the opposite effect, as folk think - oh not again; how manty more times.
FFS

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Respect to the protesters.. At least they have the balls to stand up for what is right and against the idiots who say there isn't a problem.. Something has to change with how we treat the planet or there won't be one left at all..

The planet will be fine mate. There won’t be any humans on it though...

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The question: How to rid London's streets of the idiot demonstrators? Giving them a bloody good soaking would very quickly send them packing. Boris had the right idea. Why they were never used I cannot understand. Alternatively, in the case of Waterloo Bridge for example, fence them in. A fence at either end of the bridge and no one is allowed in or out. No food, no potty breaks, no water. They'd pretty quickly lose interest. With so many good ideas, I really should be running the country.

:dunce:

Funny how people who don't live up here have such strong views on what's best for us.

Why they were never used I cannot understand.

They were illegal.

Mince for brains.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
The majority are toffs having a jolly at half term, will all be over when they go back to Uni. Inconsiderate dickheads people have lost their jobs due to these wankers.

Personally couldn’t get to a job yesterday to repair a fire alarm, let’s hope a fire situation doesn’t happen over the weekend and lives are lost.

The protesters somehow will have blood on their hands due to their actions.
We are destroying the planet as we know it and you're concerned about a fire alarm. Educate yourself.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Fully support the protestors but the UK is making some efforts and making some progress. The trouble is that China, India and the USA seem to not be too bothered about the issuse. It needs a global effort.
True but we need to do our bit. Just blaming others and carrying on is not the way. Get your own house in order and all that. Wouldn't it be great if we could lead on this for a change instead of being a broken little island.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Respect to the protesters.. At least they have the balls to stand up for what is right and against the idiots who say there isn't a problem.. Something has to change with how we treat the planet or there won't be one left at all..

They're a bunch of ferrals pissing in the wind.

Nobody with half a brain doesn't think the risk of climate change is real, nor that the world needs to act, but shutting down Oxford Circus and the DLR is the answer?
Even if the UK, which is certainly doing it's bit, leading in carbon reduction and renewables, was to ban the use of all fossil fuels tomorrow morning, you think Putin, who's power comes from the Russian petro state will change.
Maybe all middle Eastern countries will go back to farming dates and close their oil wells, maybe rapidly developing, smog filled environmental rapists like China and India, will see a bunch of tofu eating momentum nerds in Oxford Circus and give up their rapid development?
Was a single tree saved from deforestation by trying to stop people going to their jobs by breaking the law in central London?
As for the shut down Heathrow attempt, how pathetic was that, maybe somebody should've provided some beetroot sandwiches for a dozen.

I take climate change deadly seriously, as I'm sure many do, but many of these loons are anarchists who want to overthrow the whole system of government as we know it (one admitted on LBC as such).

They should be locked up and charged for their illegal activity.

Canvas international embassies, the UN, get celebrities on board, educate, promote..... Pissing off civilians in central London is not going to going to save anything.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Pissing off civilians in central London is not going to going to save anything.

Most of which aren't local and many of which are tourists. There is lots to get pissed off with in Central London and you'll forget this in the morning if you get caught up on it. A tube strike is far worse, but you work round it.

It's been done for publicity and in PR terms I'd suggest they have done a very good job.

I understand with many that is their actual aim :lolol:

I haven't become all green overnight but if you get annoyed by demonstrations and mild disruption you have no place in a capital city.

razer

Mar 10, 2019
Ormskirk, Lancashire
I have a client whose business is tree planting. He is one of those types that some of you deem the "great unwashed".

He started out selling trees on the net singly (as he says, one of the best ways to remove CO2 from the atmosphere is getting more trees to do what comes naturally) and would travel anywhere in the country to go and plant them with the catchphrase "just add water".

After realising that it would take forever to save the planet by selling trees singly he started to take on planting commercially and has recently planted his millionth tree. The guy refuses to take any money beyond what he needs to live on even though the company is now relatively successful and wants to set up a charitable foundation to divert a minimum of 50% of the profits to enable it donate to worldwide environmental projects.

The guy is so inspiring and genuine that I get goosebumps when he tells me of his ambition to have planted 50 million trees by the time he is my age, which gives him 31 years to do so.

Don't tar all of the "great unwashed" with the same brush. Some of them really do want to save the planet, just saying.

Check the website out.

https://www.gonewest.com/

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Heard some great interviews with some of the plebs on the bridge, I have to go now as I have work tomorrow? Your stopping others from going to work? Mmmm well er, do you drive to work and have a mobile phone? Well yeah, Are you going abroad this year on a plane? Yeah but that not the point......Hypocrisy at its best

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I particularly like the fact that Dame Emma Thompson flew in from L.A to join the protest :facepalm:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Most of which aren't local and many of which are tourists. There is lots to get pissed off with in Central London and you'll forget this in the morning if you get caught up on it. A tube strike is far worse, but you work round it.

It's been done for publicity and in PR terms I'd suggest they have done a very good job.

I haven't become all green overnight but if you get annoyed by demonstrations and mild disruption you have no place in a capital city.

I get all that fella, and no harm in protests that don't affect others. The little oik of a ringleader that got the third degree off Adam Boulton on sky news, Robin Boardman-Pattison, is a hardcore momentum (overthrow capitalism) nut. He got done for vandalising conservative party HQ after Heathrow protests (you may see no harm in that!) But just like Emma Thomson he's a hypocrite that loves to preach to others but doesn't practice it himself..... He stated that we all stop flying except for emergencies and not to take foreign holidays (as well as making 3 other "demands") when his Instagram account was posted showing him on lots of nice palm tree lined luxury vacations, ski-ing, city breaks..... He's a jumped up trust fund anarchist that wants to change you, but not himself.

One of the biggest and best events in my lifetime (and those of a certain age) for truly positive change and awareness was live aid. Climate Change is a real emergency and there's probably a lot of celebrities who would coallese around something similar. Attenborough, Prince William.... Why wouldn't they reach out and try and start a positive political, celebrity, civilian movement like live aid for positive change....... it's something everybody would get behind.. Packed arenas, inclusive messaging, is far better publicity and more powerful than a rabble of momentum nuts and anarchists supergluing to trains in 1 city . You want to take the law abiding general public with you in the climate emergency.... change tactic, you want to overthrow capitalism, and tell people how they must live, carry on pissing in the wind.

Last edited:

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Heard some great interviews with some of the plebs on the bridge, I have to go now as I have work tomorrow? Your stopping others from going to work? Mmmm well er, do you drive to work and have a mobile phone? Well yeah, Are you going abroad this year on a plane? Yeah but that not the point......Hypocrisy at its best

Won't say where i've worked ,but on oilfields in the UK ,most of the protesters get there by car erm utter feckwits.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham

Yes 6 hours to get to Dover on a train pissed me right off today ,throw in a £30 cab fare from Woking to Guildford on top angry scenes. Life still goes on:)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
They're a bunch of ferrals pissing in the wind.

Nobody with half a brain doesn't think the risk of climate change is real, nor that the world needs to act, but shutting down Oxford Circus and the DLR is the answer?
Even if the UK, which is certainly doing it's bit, leading in carbon reduction and renewables, was to ban the use of all fossil fuels tomorrow morning, you think Putin, who's power comes from the Russian petro state will change.
Maybe all middle Eastern countries will go back to farming dates and close their oil wells, maybe rapidly developing, smog filled environmental rapists like China and India, will see a bunch of tofu eating momentum nerds in Oxford Circus and give up their rapid development?
Was a single tree saved from deforestation by trying to stop people going to their jobs by breaking the law in central London?
As for the shut down Heathrow attempt, how pathetic was that, maybe somebody should've provided some beetroot sandwiches for a dozen.

I take climate change deadly seriously, as I'm sure many do, but many of these loons are anarchists who want to overthrow the whole system of government as we know it (one admitted on LBC as such).

Canvas international embassies, the UN, get celebrities on board, educate, promote..... Pissing off civilians in central London is not going to going to save anything.

If that were true, that street protests don’t affect change, then people wouldn’t do? But they have. For hundreds of years. So I think you’re wrong on that score. It bemuses me how many Brighton fans seem to think this way. Can only imagine they didn’t go on all the marches to Lancaster Gate and so forth but thanks for calling me feral for doing so btw! How very ungrateful :)

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees I say.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I get all that fella, and no harm in protests that don't affect others. The little oik of a ringleader that got the third degree off Adam Boulton on sky news, Robin Boardman-Pattison, is a hardcore momentum (overthrow capitalism) nut. He got done for vandalising conservative party HQ after Heathrow protests (you may see no harm in that!) But just like Emma Thomson he's a hypocrite that loves to preach to others but doesn't practice it himself..... He "demanded" that we all stop flying except for emergencies and not to take foreign holidays, when his Instagram account was posted showing him on lots of nice palm tree lined luxury vacations, ski-ing, city breaks..... He's a jumped up trust fund anarchist that wants to change you, but not himself.

One of the biggest and best events in my lifetime (and those of a certain age) for truly positive change and awareness was live aid. Climate Change is a real emergency and there's probably a lot of celebrities who would coallese around something similar. Attenborough, Prince William.... Why wouldn't they reach out and try and start a positive political, celebrity, civilian movement like live aid for positive change....... it's something everybody would get behind.. Packed arenas, inclusive messaging, is far better publicity and more powerful than a rabble of momentum nuts and anarchists supergluing to trains in 1 city . You want to take the law abiding general public with you in the climate emergency.... change tactic, you want to overthrow capitalism, and tell people how they must live, carry on pissing in the wind.

Well, old enough to remember Live Aid too. But that was about really about raising cash. In this country Live Aid and Band Aid was a reaction to the awareness already created by Michael Buerk's reports on the news.

The "problem" with climate change is that was identified a very long time ago, but has been argued against by vested interests. Everybody is at fault including us.

In my opinion in can only be solved by legislation. For the last decade it's been a "lifestyle choice".

I was at Kew Gardens today (packed) and was encouraged by the fact that they have started to stop selling plants in the almost unrecyclable black plastic pots. The only way stop black plastic is to make it illegal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here