Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Water canons are the answer

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
MAYBE THOSE AREAS GOVERNMENTS SHOULD TRY A LITTLE HARDER WITH THEIR RESOURCES, i'm sure they'll be another appeal on the tv shortly???
regards
DR

Sad state of affairs when people in power and those on the street think they can just carry on as they always have. The look on your face when the penny drops in the not so distant future that your children/grandchildren really are in the shit will be priceless..

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Jesus. The planet is being destroyed and your focus is people having to change/allow more time for their journey to work.
It’s not just people going to work though. Adrian Chiles was on R5 saying how his friend had to take an agonising cab journey to hospital for his cancer treatment as a result of the disruption. Also a protestor said why are people getting so worked up, why not just join in , seeming to not realisie they had to earn a living. And why protest to make the government take notice when parliament was actually on holiday!

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 5, 2014
do you live in Hanover in Brighton and have voted for Caroline Lucas by any chance ????
regards
DR

No, I live in the local countryside.

Over 50% of the Brighton Pavilion electorate vote for her. Many aren't Greens.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
It’s not just people going to work though. Adrian Chiles was on R5 saying how his friend had to take an agonising cab journey to hospital for his cancer treatment as a result of the disruption. Also a protestor said why are people getting so worked up, why not just join in , seeming to not realisie they had to earn a living. And why protest to make the government take notice when parliament was actually on holiday!

Plenty of people here suggesting there should be no protests. So what is the solution to raise awareness so changes are made????

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 8, 2018
Had a good day, slightly easier if you know your way around London mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Their cause is noble, methods ridiculous.

Imagine being the prat who glued himself to public transport then forced people into taxis that increased congestion and alas increase emissions..

Target the worst culprits. I currently work within the cement industry and if anyone is genuinely concerned about emissions read this: https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/feb/25/concrete-the-most-destructive-material-on-earth

The production of clinker is incredibly energy intensive, we're talking 40tns plus of coal and alternative burning fuels to maintain the temperatures required for clinker a day per kiln.

This is the correct answer. Nothing wrong with the reason for protesting but why are that targeting normal people going about their daily lives? Targeting public transport is just idiotic.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Would be more impressed if they took this kind of action in the countries contributing most to the causes of global warming: China, US, India, Russia...

That's because they'd definitely get water cannoned in those countries.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I know some folk involved in these actions. They are not 'toffs' and they all have jobs- except perhaps those who are retired.

Why not meet some yourself and stop getting drunk on media images.

I can see why The Sun is still in business.

So, how many? 4 0r 5?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
That’s such an idiotic unsustainable argument. Just because the west has dropped a nuclear bomb doesn’t mean everyone else has a credit to use up one day. We can’t just allow everyone else 250 years of fossil fuel driven activity because - and here’s the rub - everyone including LDC’s will die. It’s astonishing how many people aren’t getting the end of the equation here. If the planet dies we all die. Mother Earth ain’t discriminating on this matter!

Not saying that the solution was to allow the burning of fossil fuel... Just pointing out the at real cost of *not* polluting the atmosphere is that the West will have to pay for the rest of the world to industrialise in a cleaner, greener way.

To stop the lesser developed countries polluting the West have to pay for the investment in renewable energy and give it to them for free as an incentive to develop is a more sustainable way than the West did.

Ultimately though the planet has been damaged irrevocably already. Our species is doomed and something is will take over just like mammals replaced dinosaurs.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Says it all really.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
This is the correct answer. Nothing wrong with the reason for protesting but why are that targeting normal people going about their daily lives? Targeting public transport is just idiotic.

Because "ordinary" people are the ones who need to hear the message. Politicians will maintain the status quo for as long as it is what their focus groups say the public want. When millions start to say they want change, change will happen. Too many people deliberately choose to be deaf, they need to stop and listen.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
But gluing themselves to trains is not going to change that. All is does is p1ss people off and turn them against their message. Doesn't work.

People said exactly the same about the disruptive protests of the suffragettes in the early 20th Century, but their cause had right on its side and public and political opinion was ultimately shifted by their actions. I’m not sure that the extinction rebellion lot will have a similar impact, but I wouldn’t rule it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here