Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The level of club we are.......

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
It shows the level of Manager we have.
Bmuff don’t appear to have any issues surviving.
He may have hit his level but this Club has not.
Now the Club has been hit by his lack of belief/ambition and we all are going to pay.
Whilst we won’t forget he got us promoted he will be remembered for this calamity of a season.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Chris Hughton seems to regularly use the sentence of 'the level of Club we are' in a lot of interviews now. This shows no ambition which is becoming clearly apparent in his tactics as the season goes on. We are a great club and we are very proud to be where we are but we do not want to hope there are three clubs worst of than us every season, as our luck we run out.

Does this sentence refer to the level of club we are, or the level of manager Chris Hughton is?

Thoughts?

I do not mind him saying that, what I do mind is him telling the players that Saints and Cardiff games at home were NOT must win. In other words sending them out with a non-winning attitude as was evident particularly against Saint when we came out for the second half. Appalling attitude to take into home games against teams around you imho.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Now the Club has been hit by his lack of belief/ambition and we all are going to pay.
Whilst we won’t forget he got us promoted he will be remembered for this calamity of a season.

Using @El Pres’s figures, Bmuff invest heavily in highly paid players, it really isn’t a Cinderella story. We know the correlation between payroll spend and approximate league position.

Watford stand out as an exception to that ... I’m not sure if they still benefit from special relationships with overseas clubs?

58D12A1E-E54A-4ED1-A9D1-51E15B3F85DA.png

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
This is what is all about. Money sets our level and CH is right
Not sure why most of our fans don’t get it.

This. The level of expenditure on wages and transfer fees and the actual league table are depressingly similar. It’s all very predictable. The only real exceptions are Watford who have overachieved this season and Fulham who have not only underachieved but shown the entire football world how not to spend £110 million. God knows how they’re going to deal with that financial situation in the championship. Must be a few players willing to sit out a ludicrously well paid contract there.

Our strict wage policy, despite the moaning from fans, may give us a better chance than others to rebuild a promotion challenging team should we be relegated.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Isn't our budget 18th in the division? That's the level we are as a club.

Whilst in the essence you are right and I sort of agree with you, that does not excuse the level of "performance" the squad has put in since January.

At the turn of the year we were in an incredibly healthy position, for us to be in the situation we now find ourselves in is completely unacceptable regardless of our budget compared to other clubs.

The fact of the matter is, despite how much money we have to spend we should be comfortably safe by now, have our feet up and already planning for a third season in the Premier League.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007

Bournemouth, well of course they don’t
Their players are better because they spend more money than we do
Simples

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Whilst in the essence you are right and I sort of agree with you, that does not excuse the level of "performance" the squad has put in since January.

At the turn of the year we were in an incredibly healthy position, for us to be in the situation we now find ourselves in is completely unacceptable regardless of our budget compared to other clubs.

The fact of the matter is, despite how much money we have to spend we should be comfortably safe by now, have our feet up and already planning for a third season in the Premier League.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA

First half of the season we had some lucky wins, so were in a false position.
Since Xmas we’ve lost the luck in games and had some injuries. A team at our level, can’t sustain that for long so we are back where we should be - fighting relegation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
First half of the season we had some lucky wins, so were in a false position.
Since Xmas we’ve lost the luck in games and had some injuries. A team at our level, can’t sustain that for long so we are back where we should be - fighting relegation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to argue with your first two sentences. The third however I will argue with, we have not been fighting in the last three home games imo. There is more to this than just about every player struggling for form. No idea what it is but although I expect us to lose at Wolves, I really hope we see more more fight and desire than I believe we have put in over the last few games. We have been losing most of the 50/50s in these games, a sure sign of not giving everything imo.

I can take getting beat, disappointing as it is, but I am struggling with what I perceive to be too many players who aren’t giving 100 percent.

If the excuse is fatigue then change the players, isn’t that why we have a squad?

Last edited:

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Hard to argue with your first two sentences. The third however I will argue with, we have not been fighting in the last three home games imo. There is more to this than just about every player struggling for form. No idea what it is but although I expect us to lose at Wolves, I really hope we see more more fight and desire than I believe we have put in over the last few games. We have been losing most of the 50/50s in these games, a sure sign of not giving everything imo.

I can take getting beat, disappointing as it is, but I am struggling with what I perceive to be too many players who aren’t giving 100 percent.

If the excuse is fatigue then change the players, isn’t that why we have a squad?

Fair enough - we’re not fighting currently, and especially at home.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

Fatigue and punch drunk from constant pressure in the same areas of the field. I would certainly give Duffy or Dunk a rest and give Burn a few games as he has done well when asked. Our basic problem is that we don’t have sufficient quality in the first XI, let alone the rest of the squad.
As for giving 100% - no one is going to give 100% if they are knackered, dispirited and under orders that they maybe don’t agree with.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
We're not established in the premier league and we're not a yo-yo club...

I think for the next 5-10 years or so we could feasibly become a yo-yo club while we look to embed the academy and consolidate any Premier League earnings. It's not that bad a thing to be.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
I think for the next 5-10 years or so we could feasibly become a yo-yo club while we look to embed the academy and consolidate any Premier League earnings. It's not that bad a thing to be.

Absolutely, it's how clubs like West Brom, Stoke established themselves in the premier league for a sustained amount of time.

The problem I have at the moment is that we're in a rut that neither players or the manager can pull us out from.

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
Wolves have a squad with incredible internationals, acquired through a special relationship with a super agent. That squad is comfortably a top half squad.

Fulham blew £110m on overpriced lemons in one window, mugged.

So its the result that defines our level not what we spent. It's very fine margins isn't it. If we had a more attacking attitude or had spent the same but on different players we may well be safe by now.

The budget means we are unlikely to be top six but it needn't consign us to relegation.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The How high is your wage argument doesn't wash with me. We're talking about professional sportsmen here, at a minimum even at Brighton, earning, per week, what most of us earn in a year. They should be prepared to die on the pitch for that or **** off.

CH is at major fault in not changing his starting line up as it clearly has woefully underperforming, players in it, as well as (apparently) disruptive and insubordinate elements.

I would rather see a slightly lesser player with the correct work rate and attitude.

On Tuesday the only player to walk off the pitch with any credit was Bruno.

CH didn't even use his 3rd substitution. Unbelievable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here