Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The level of club we are.......

Wickham Wanderer

Sep 17, 2012
Chris Hughton seems to regularly use the sentence of 'the level of Club we are' in a lot of interviews now. This shows no ambition which is becoming clearly apparent in his tactics as the season goes on. We are a great club and we are very proud to be where we are but we do not want to hope there are three clubs worst of than us every season, as our luck we run out.

Does this sentence refer to the level of club we are, or the level of manager Chris Hughton is?

Thoughts?

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
I'm a Hughton critic, but I think this is stretching it. He is right, we are a club 'at a level', we're not established in the premier league and we're not a yo-yo club. So there is a 'level' the club should be aiming for and there is definitely a 'level' where we're at. I don't think it shows any ambition or lack of.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Our players are bottom 4 PL/top half Championship at best.

Almost none would walk into a West Ham, Leicester, Watford, Bmuff, Newcastle first 11.

That’s our current level. A club is only as good as its players.

Not often l agree, but on this occasion l do, and to be quite honest I don't mind losing games in this league, but only after we have put up one hell of a fight and given everything. That last bit isn't happening though, and that's what makes me very sad.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Our players are bottom 4 PL/top half Championship at best.

Almost none would walk into a West Ham, Leicester, Watford, Bmuff, Newcastle first 11.

That’s our current level. A club is only as good as its players.

Isn't our budget 18th in the division? That's the level we are as a club.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I'm a Hughton critic, but I think this is stretching it. He is right, we are a club 'at a level', we're not established in the premier league and we're not a yo-yo club. So there is a 'level' the club should be aiming for and there is definitely a 'level' where we're at. I don't think it shows any ambition or lack of.

To be fair, we don’t yet know if we are a yo-yo club - we’re not that good yet.
To me, a yo-yo club is one that alternates between the top two divisions on a regular basis over a number of years with the hope that they establish themselves in the higher division.
CH and his “levels” is a load of nonsense - everyone is at one level or another!

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Chris Hughton seems to regularly use the sentence of 'the level of Club we are' in a lot of interviews now. This shows no ambition which is becoming clearly apparent in his tactics as the season goes on. We are a great club and we are very proud to be where we are but we do not want to hope there are three clubs worst of than us every season, as our luck we run out.

Does this sentence refer to the level of club we are, or the level of manager Chris Hughton is?

Thoughts?

Inferiority complex. He needs to grow a pair. Tony has always been on about incremental improvements and establishing as. PL club, not reaching a ‘level’. Beginning to sound like CH is less ambitious than the club (or this is as close - being the true gent that he is - as he’s going to get to saying he’s been ****ed over in the recruitment dept)

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not often l agree, but on this occasion l do, and to be quite honest I don't mind losing games in this league, but only after we have put up one hell of a fight and given everything. That last bit isn't happening though, and that's what makes me very sad.

I can only recall us being crap in both ability and lacking fight once before, where the last few weeks/months of home games ended in a whimper. That was the 2006 relegation from the Championship - where everyone else seemed simply better at football than us.

In the NS, people actually seem quite jokey and light about crap we are, rather than sadness and silence. Quite surreal.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Is it?
Is it the definition of our ambition or just a figure that we happened to spend in a given year on our road to our long term goal.
A point in our progression.
What does the amount Wolves or Fulham say about them?

Wolves have a squad with incredible internationals, acquired through a special relationship with a super agent. That squad is comfortably a top half squad.

Fulham blew £110m on overpriced lemons in one window, mugged.

Last edited:

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Are they great players or just really suited to the system?

They’re great players. Moutinho, Neves and Jiminez ooze class, plus they seem to have the entire Portugese U21 team. We’ll find out shortly. I won’t hold it against Hughton if they prove to be far better than our players.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The level of club we are needs everyone pulling together. They’ve stopped doing it.

scooter1

How soon is now?
CH is trying to manage expectation in the interviews he gives, but it’s the lack of fight in the last 2 games that has got people groaning. I don’t want to see him lose his job here as he has done well, but I don’t think he has the skill set to create a dynamic forward thinking team. His skill is defending, it’s what he did. Keegan was an attacker, it’s how he tried to manage. Could we not bring in a coach to work under Hughton who has the skills to work with the team moving forward, allowing Hughton to manage the team and work to his own strengths?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here