Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Come off it you know we can't go down if you do the maths....

Truthsayer

Nov 29, 2017
Yes, it's true Hughton doesn't realise Brighton do actually have good finishers and brought in strikers who are good enough but aren't getting enough service from the team. There was a point in the season where we couldn't stop scoring for a few games.

BUT..... looking at the fixtures there is almost no chance Cardiff will get any points from two of the games (Liverpool and Man U). Then to have any chance they have to WIN BOTH of their other two games to get to 37 points and give them a chance.

I say Cardiff need 37 points because in FIVE GAMES Brighton must at least get 3 points (any win will do or even three draws). In fact, Brighton might even win against Wolves on Saturday and that means it is as good as all over for Cardiff.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes, it's true Hughton doesn't realise Brighton do actually have good finishers and brought in strikers who are good enough but aren't getting enough service from the team. There was a point in the season where we couldn't stop scoring for a few games.

BUT..... looking at the fixtures there is almost no chance Cardiff will get any points from two of the games (Liverpool and Man U). Then to have any chance they have to WIN BOTH of their other two games to get to 37 points and give them a chance.

I say Cardiff need 37 points because in FIVE GAMES Brighton must at least get 3 points (any win will do or even three draws). In fact, Brighton might even win against Wolves on Saturday and that means it is as good as all over for Cardiff.

2 wins and 2 draws in 13 games this year..............and performances deteriorating. We'll need a real stroke of luck to get anything

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that Cardiff will drop points from their 2 winnable games ie Fulham and Palace. Palace are better away than at home. If they draw 1 game it will be sufficient for us unless of course it is against Liverpool or United.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

I might be more sympathetic toward your scenario if we had made a change this week. New faces on the training ground, slight tweaking of tactics, something a little bit different, bit more smiling around the place etc. Players spirits lifted and confidence starting to seep back in. Weight lifted off their shoulders, a run-in to look forward to.
Without change what is going to change? Unless we manage some 0-0 draws ( highly unlikely given the number of mistakes we make ) we need to create chances, have efforts on goal and actually score some goals! ( check recent record......not promising is it )
If we stay up, it is more likely that it will be due to Cardiff's own shortcomings, not our own efforts across the last 5 games. In fact, it is more likely that we will lose all five as opposed to the winning one or drawing three scenario.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I think that Cardiff will drop points from their 2 winnable games ie Fulham and Palace. Palace are better away than at home. If they draw 1 game it will be sufficient for us unless of course it is against Liverpool or United.

Palace play better away if they are allowed to counter attack sides with a lot of attacking intent. Warnock won't play like that. It will be tight and ugly. In your face. Incremental gains upfield like a rugby match. Lots of broken up play. Long throws and time-wasting. Palace won't be allowed to find any rhythm. Wilf will get no space. Be similar at Fulham.

jamie (not that one)

May 3, 2012
Valencia
2 wins and 2 draws in 13 games this year..............and performances deteriorating. We'll need a real stroke of luck to get anything

0.61 points per game so if we maintain that form we can take 3 points over the next five games. However, as you said... performances are deteriorating.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
I’m inclined to agree all the sides Cardiff have left are excellent counter attackers with any luck 2 draws will do for us just struggling to see where they’ll come from

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Unfortunately, "if you do the maths" doesn't take current form into consideration. Yes, mathematically I would put money on us staying up, but current form wise, I won't be.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Palace play better away if they are allowed to counter attack sides with a lot of attacking intent. Warnock won't play like that. It will be tight and ugly. In your face. Incremental gains upfield like a rugby match. Lots of broken up play. Long throws and time-wasting. Palace won't be allowed to find any rhythm. Wilf will get no space. Be similar at Fulham.

I disagree. Cardiff will need to win that match and will come at them and Palace will hit them on the counter-attack. Cardiff have done brilliantly to still be in with a chance but are going to come up short.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
0.61 points per game so if we maintain that form we can take 3 points over the next five games. However, as you said... performances are deteriorating.

We were much better against Cardiff than we were against Bournemouth. That's not deterioration

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
Apr 5, 2014
There is no such word as can't. We can hope but nothing is sure.

Quite.

The fact remains that twelve points are available to Cardiff City. That's 11 we need to get to make sure.

Any points they drop obviously reduces that total.

There is no other equation that should be in the players minds.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We were much better against Cardiff than we were against Bournemouth. That's not deterioration

We certainly started better.

Fortunately for us, Cardiff are nowhere near as good as Bournemouth so they didn't posses the ability to destroy us once our heads dropped.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Think "much better" is going a bit far. For one thing, Bournemouth are a comfortably better side than Cardiff. We had attacking intent for the first 20 mins, up until the final third. We had **** all idea how to get past their backline. After that we were poor, then eventually woeful, with the absolute basics going wrong.

Truthsayer

Nov 29, 2017
In other words, they would need two wins from those games they can realistically get any points from. If they don't then the highest they can get to is 35 points (1 win and a draw in those two games) so even two draws are enough in the 5 games we have left. Even if they get those wins, we only need 4 points.

Also you must remember the two games in a row Brighton came back from 2-0 down and scored twice in the last 23 minute of both games. I doubt it was a fluke as when the team want to score they can do. Remember, the three in the first half against Man U and Crystal Palace too at home. Hughton is not really helping the team score.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
I thought we would pick up at least 2 points from our last two games , that didn't go well , i'm honestly not expecting anymore points except a scrappy win v Newcastle , it's going to be a squeaky ride .

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I thought we would pick up at least 2 points from our last two games , that didn't go well , i'm honestly not expecting anymore points except a scrappy win v Newcastle , it's going to be a squeaky ride .

You're EXPECTING a scrappy win ? I'm desperately hoping for one, but not expecting it.......................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here