Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Any Hope Left?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Spurs winning last night could be good for us, with out match falling between their two semis.

Isn't the Spurs game next Tuesday? (Not sure if that is better or worse than between two CL semis?)

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
2 points will probably do it. But with our form I can only see 1. It’s going to be a nerve wracking end.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Not for me after the utter dross served up in the last 3 home games with the manager standing like a mannequin on the touchline seemingly accepting the inevitable relegation that now hangs over us. For gods sake what has he done to the team since Christmas they have been truly shocking

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
The problem is that recent performances haven't even offered a glimmer of hope. It's almost impossible to see us scoring and our defence is calamitous. I can even see the goal difference advantage being wiped out over the remaining fixtures.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Out of all of this Cardiff still have to win a game. Who knows they may not. We don't know although they seem to be fired up and playing well they may get the jitters. If they don't and they win one or two games......well good luck to them. We would have deserved what we got and so would Cardiff. It's going to be tight.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm struggling to find a specific tangible thing to feel optimistic about, I remember thinking this before the Cardiff game. This is why I feel so desolate now.

In prior similar bleak situations, you might have something like;

"Knocky's in decent form at the moment, he'll find something out of nothing."
"Duffy and Dunk are defending like kings, we could definitely get a clean sheet."
"Murray will score. He does nothing for 80 mins but he'll still get one, he always does."

We have nothing like the above right now. Absolutely nothing. There is no logical, rational reason to believe we will suddenly start playing much, much better than the last few games. We might, I just don't see the reasoning behind believing it.

I think we'll need some ABSURD luck to go our way, like a freakish own goal or a very soft penalty to go our way. That's how it feels.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I'm struggling to find a specific tangible thing to feel optimistic about, I remember thinking this before the Cardiff game. This is why I feel so desolate now.

In prior similar bleak situations, you might have something like;

"Knocky's in decent form at the moment, he'll find something out of nothing."
"Duffy and Dunk are defending like kings, we could definitely get a clean sheet."
"Murray will score. He does nothing for 80 mins but he'll still get one, he always does."

We have nothing like the above right now. Absolutely nothing. There is no logical, rational reason to believe we will suddenly start playing much, much better than the last few games. We might, I just don't see the reasoning behind believing it.

I think we'll need some ABSURD luck to go our way, like a freakish own goal or a very soft penalty to go our way. That's how it feels.

We are Brighton, we probably won't score untill the City game then BIG JURGE will score a hatrick to prevent City winning the league. Cardiff will still win at United to relegate us though.

Iovan The Sweeper

May 16, 2016
I still think we'll be ok, despite our woeful form. We've got a 2 point lead, and - barring any freak results against the top 6 for both teams - it will be settled with these 4 games:

Us - Wolves (A), and Newcastle (H)
Cardiff - Fulham (A) and Palace (H)

I don't think Cardiff have got it easy. Fulham just beat Everton, whilst Palace tend to be better away from home - although we can't rely on them of course.

We've got a fantastic record against Wolves (although it's a very different team these days). Newcastle don't score many away from home.

1 win from Cardiff, and 1 draw from us will see us safe, unless there is a freakish swing in goal difference, or a shock in the games against the top 6. I'd still rather be in our position than theirs.

And yes, it would be typical Albion if we went into the last game needing to beat Man City...and did it. The spirit of Stockport in '09...just with a few million quid added to the opposition team sheet, and minus one Russell Slade cap.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I think going to Wolves will actually suit us more. We will probably go with a more defensive mindset and try to shut up shop. We won’t be expected to create too many chances and a 0-0 will be a good result. Playing away from home I think will come as a welcome break to our players, not having to cope with the pressure and anxiety of our home crowd

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
No hope, no chance. We won’t get another point this season. I’ve accepted it. We are in such freefall and so far off the required standard that it is simply impossible to turn this round in five games with the same personnel.

It does make me laugh that people are still so detached from reality that they’re expecting us to beat Wolves and/or Newcastle. Wolves are far better than us and Newcastle have only lost one game away from home against non-top six teams all season. It’s a case of how many will they want to win by!

Sadly I must agree. We know a bad defeat doesn't produce a reaction so why will it be any different this time? Our only chance of survival was a change of leadership but clearly that isn't going to happen now.

Of course there is hope until it is technically impossible, but to actually believe it will happen involves a large sprinkling of fairy dust.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I still think we'll be ok, despite our woeful form. We've got a 2 point lead, and - barring any freak results against the top 6 for both teams - it will be settled with these 4 games:

Us - Wolves (A), and Newcastle (H)
Cardiff - Fulham (A) and Palace (H)

I don't think Cardiff have got it easy. Fulham just beat Everton, whilst Palace tend to be better away from home - although we can't rely on them of course.

We've got a fantastic record against Wolves (although it's a very different team these days). Newcastle don't score many away from home.

1 win from Cardiff, and 1 draw from us will see us safe, unless there is a freakish swing in goal difference, or a shock in the games against the top 6. I'd still rather be in our position than theirs.

And yes, it would be typical Albion if we went into the last game needing to beat Man City...and did it. The spirit of Stockport in '09...just with a few million quid added to the opposition team sheet, and minus one Russell Slade cap.

Although I admire your optimism, and actually completely agree with your points about Cardiff’s fixtures (tougher than they may look- it will be interesting to see how Fulham get on against Bournemouth at the weekend). With regards to your point about Newcastle not scoring many away from home- I believe Cardiff were the lowest away scorers in the entire division (including us!) before they rocked up at the Amex which really highlights how shockingly poor we are at the moment. I just can’t see where the next goal is going to come from never mind points- hope I’m wide of the mark of course!

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Its the hope that kills you

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Like you I was hoping for a spirited backlash after Bmuff . . . . but what I saw on Tuesday tells me we're utterly ****ed.

IF, and its a huge IF we can put on a performance on Saturday, regardless of the result, it may just be a glimmer of hope . . . . but frankly we can't play football at all At the moment, let alone grind out a result.

This is the crux of the problem, so well put too "...we can't play football". Yep, until we can it's going to be difficult!!

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I'm sure this has been done before, but's very interesting to see the comparison's between CH's season 1 & 2 at Norwich, and how our season 2 is panning out.

Norwich season 1 & 2 at home:
W D L (Season 1)
8 7 4
W D L (Season 2)
6 6 7

Brighton season 1 & 2 home:
W D L (Season 1)
7 8 4
W D L (Season 2 so far)
6 4 7

Norwich Away
W D L (Season 1)
2 7 10
W D L (Season 2)
2 3 14

Brighton Away
W D L (Season 1)
2 5 12
W D L (Season 2 so far)
3 2 11

So two things, in 73 Away Premier League fixtures (excluding Newcastle) - 9 wins for CH.
The other is quite clear, with both Norwich and Brighton - it was the collapse of home form that saw them drop into the Championship in season 2.
So in answer to the question - no I don't think there is any hope left. Probably 1 point from Newcastle, but that will be it.

Iovan The Sweeper

May 16, 2016
Although I admire your optimism, and actually completely agree with your points about Cardiff’s fixtures (tougher than they may look- it will be interesting to see how Fulham get on against Bournemouth at the weekend). With regards to your point about Newcastle not scoring many away from home- I believe Cardiff were the lowest away scorers in the entire division (including us!) before they rocked up at the Amex which really highlights how shockingly poor we are at the moment. I just can’t see where the next goal is going to come from never mind points- hope I’m wide of the mark of course!

Yes, good point about Newcastle (although they have nothing really to play for, whereas it was last chance saloon for Cardiff). Looks like a 0-0 v Wolves, and a 1-1 v Newcastle (via a comedy own-goal) could do it then. What a way to survive.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
It's the hope that kills you in football.

After being full of it all year I finally gave up hope after the last few spineless performances.

I travel to Wolves with full expectation of getting beat. No one will persuade me otherwise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here