Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Any Hope Left?

el punal

After the Bournemouth debacle I really thought the players would be fired up for the Cardiff game. I must admit I was looking forward to the match thinking that the team’s pride had taken such a battering that they would be fired up and seeking redemption. As we all know that all fizzled out after twenty minutes. The rest is sorry history.

Calamitous as the situation is, we are still two points clear of Cardiff, with a better goal difference, and, a game in hand. I also admit, again, that immediately after the Cardiff game we wouldn’t score another goal, let alone get another point. I would imagine that feeling applied to most Albion fans.

Time has mellowed my thoughts of doom and gloom, but not by much. Is there any chance that from those five remaining games we will be able to scrape four valuable points - enough, maybe, to save our skins, and enough to keep Cardiff out of the equation?

Hope springs eternal and all that, and in my view that’s all we’ve got left.

zefarelly

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Like you I was hoping for a spirited backlash after Bmuff . . . . but what I saw on Tuesday tells me we're utterly ****ed.

IF, and its a huge IF we can put on a performance on Saturday, regardless of the result, it may just be a glimmer of hope . . . . but frankly we can't play football at all At the moment, let alone grind out a result.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
While the baying hordes looking for blood unpick a couple of quotes from the Argus, I would say Hughton is absolutely right, our best chance of results and staying up is if we stop conceding goals.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
We've come a long, long way together
Through the hard times and the good
I have to celebrate you, baby
I have to praise you like I should

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
After the Bournemouth debacle I really thought the players would be fired up for the Cardiff game. I must admit I was looking forward to the match thinking that the team’s pride had taken such a battering that they would be fired up and seeking redemption. As we all know that all fizzled out after twenty minutes. The rest is sorry history.

Calamitous as the situation is, we are still two points clear of Cardiff, with a better goal difference, and, a game in hand. I also admit, again, that immediately after the Cardiff game we wouldn’t score another goal, let alone get another point. I would imagine that feeling applied to most Albion fans.

Time has mellowed my thoughts of doom and gloom, but not by much. Is there any chance that from those five remaining games we will be able to scrape four valuable points - enough, maybe, to save our skins, and enough to keep Cardiff out of the equation?

Hope springs eternal and all that, and in my view that’s all we’ve got left.

Of course there is. I think we all need to be a bit more stoic. We have 5 opportunities to affect this situation. That is 1 more opportunity than Cardiff have. We have 2 more points plus a healthier goal difference than them as well. Conclusions should be drawn at the end of the season. All the negativity is just wasted energy and an unwelcome distraction. Bring on Saturday, a game against a team that might already be on the beach mentally, disappointed by their FA Cup exit. There are fine margins between teams in this league, and we can get a result against any of them, on any given day. UTA.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yes. We will pick up more points between now and the end of the season. I just don't know how many...

Brovion

Jul 6, 2003
Yeah, I still have hope. I said on another thread that the one game recently where we've played (relatively) well was against Man City. No one gave us much of a chance, and that got even less of a chance after they scored so early. The contrast between our performance then and the home games where we've expected to get something has been staggering - did the same team that ran Man City close really lose 0-5 at home to Bournemouth one week later? We obviously can't cope with the pressure of not being underdogs.

So with the possible exception of Newcastle we've only got 'hard' games between now and the end of the season. We're expecting to lose them, so with the pressure off we might be able to play like we did against City - and we might, just might be able to pick up enough points to see off Cardiff.

I'm not going to give up hope until it's mathematically all over.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
The anger and frustration I felt on Tuesday night is slowly subsiding.

I'm slowly beginning to believe that we can do this. Against all the odds.

And that is why I HATE football.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Draw v Wolves

Liverpool beat Cardiff

Lose to Spurs

*Massive favour from Fulham who beat Cardiff*

... Then the late kick off v Newcastle.

An unlikely win would put us 6 ahead with 2 to play...

So there is a bit of hope still lingering...

Brovion

Jul 6, 2003
Of course there is. I think we all need to be a bit more stoic. We have 5 opportunities to affect this situation. That is 1 more opportunity than Cardiff have. We have 2 more points plus a healthier goal difference than them as well. Conclusions should be drawn at the end of the season. All the negativity is just wasted energy and an unwelcome distraction. Bring on Saturday, a game against a team that might already be on the beach mentally, disappointed by their FA Cup exit. There are fine margins between teams in this league, and we can get a result against any of them, on any given day. UTA.

Yeah, I agree with this as well. After the Cardiff game it felt like we were already relegated and we were all extremely pissed off and angry, but we have got five more chances. Five Cup Finals. Plus of course even if we do have five more defeats Cardiff do have to actually win another game. It's not all over by any means, in fact the Fat Lady hasn't even turned up at the theatre yet.

Just one point could do it. That would allow for Cardiff beating either Palace or Fulham, assuming they lose to the other and Liverpool and Man U.

Or even zero points if they lose all four, or lose three and draw one, or even lose two and draw two. (Straw clutching going on here).

But judging by the last two games we probably won't even get zero points.

(but I still think we'll manage to stay up although God knows how)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This has echoes of 2 years ago, when we "only" needed one more win from our last 3 games to secure the Championship title.

We're not too great in these situations, are we.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There is always hope. I expect it to evaporate quite quickly though as a really pumped up Cardiff get an unexpected win and we continue to look like strangers on the pitch and keep conceding soft and worldie goals without having many chances ourselves.

Thoroughly depressed at how this in panning out.

My hope is that we pull off the unexpected win we sometimes come up with, but we will need everyone pulling together which they certainly haven’t done this year apart from in the FA cup

We are that cliched team that plummet to relegation having looked safe.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Still hope as this isn't hurting massively yet.

Fully expect to pick something up to take it to the last day

where Cardiff will get what they need at United late doors

A1X

Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I didn't think we would get the win against United last season which kept us up, but we did.

The problem was they had nothing to play for at that stage and were saving their players for the cup final. The big concern for me is all the teams we still have left to play (bar Newcastle) still have something to play for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here