Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Hope Left?

Bitterne,Southampton. In the land of wrong stripes and boo-boys!

Any Hope Left?

4 Not allowed!
    After the Bournemouth debacle I really thought the players would be fired up for the Cardiff game. I must admit I was looking forward to the match thinking that the team’s pride had taken such a battering that they would be fired up and seeking redemption. As we all know that all fizzled out after twenty minutes. The rest is sorry history.

Calamitous as the situation is, we are still two points clear of Cardiff, with a better goal difference, and, a game in hand. I also admit, again, that immediately after the Cardiff game we wouldn’t score another goal, let alone get another point. I would imagine that feeling applied to most Albion fans.

Time has mellowed my thoughts of doom and gloom, but not by much. Is there any chance that from those five remaining games we will be able to scrape four valuable points - enough, maybe, to save our skins, and enough to keep Cardiff out of the equation?

Hope springs eternal and all that, and in my view that’s all we’ve got left.
    Just a hedgehog on the motorway of life.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

2 Not allowed!
      Like you I was hoping for a spirited backlash after Bmuff . . . . but what I saw on Tuesday tells me we're utterly ****ed.

IF, and its a huge IF we can put on a performance on Saturday, regardless of the result, it may just be a glimmer of hope . . . . but frankly we can't play football at all At the moment, let alone grind out a result.
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      I think so, a draw against Wolves and a scrappy win against Newcastle. So long as we do that, we'll stay up. But **** me it would have been easier to just have beaten Cardiff...

3 Not allowed!
      While the baying hordes looking for blood unpick a couple of quotes from the Argus, I would say Hughton is absolutely right, our best chance of results and staying up is if we stop conceding goals.
      Members

3 Not allowed!
      We've come a long, long way together
      Through the hard times and the good
      I have to celebrate you, baby
      I have to praise you like I should
      Members

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by el punal View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      After the Bournemouth debacle I really thought the players would be fired up for the Cardiff game. I must admit I was looking forward to the match thinking that the team’s pride had taken such a battering that they would be fired up and seeking redemption. As we all know that all fizzled out after twenty minutes. The rest is sorry history.

Calamitous as the situation is, we are still two points clear of Cardiff, with a better goal difference, and, a game in hand. I also admit, again, that immediately after the Cardiff game we wouldn’t score another goal, let alone get another point. I would imagine that feeling applied to most Albion fans.

Time has mellowed my thoughts of doom and gloom, but not by much. Is there any chance that from those five remaining games we will be able to scrape four valuable points - enough, maybe, to save our skins, and enough to keep Cardiff out of the equation?

Hope springs eternal and all that, and in my view that’s all we’ve got left.
      Of course there is. I think we all need to be a bit more stoic. We have 5 opportunities to affect this situation. That is 1 more opportunity than Cardiff have. We have 2 more points plus a healthier goal difference than them as well. Conclusions should be drawn at the end of the season. All the negativity is just wasted energy and an unwelcome distraction. Bring on Saturday, a game against a team that might already be on the beach mentally, disappointed by their FA Cup exit. There are fine margins between teams in this league, and we can get a result against any of them, on any given day. UTA.

0 Not allowed!
      Yes. We will pick up more points between now and the end of the season. I just don't know how many...
      Members

5 Not allowed!
      Yeah, I still have hope. I said on another thread that the one game recently where we've played (relatively) well was against Man City. No one gave us much of a chance, and that got even less of a chance after they scored so early. The contrast between our performance then and the home games where we've expected to get something has been staggering - did the same team that ran Man City close really lose 0-5 at home to Bournemouth one week later? We obviously can't cope with the pressure of not being underdogs.

So with the possible exception of Newcastle we've only got 'hard' games between now and the end of the season. We're expecting to lose them, so with the pressure off we might be able to play like we did against City - and we might, just might be able to pick up enough points to see off Cardiff.

I'm not going to give up hope until it's mathematically all over.

9 Not allowed!
      The anger and frustration I felt on Tuesday night is slowly subsiding.

I'm slowly beginning to believe that we can do this. Against all the odds.

And that is why I HATE football.
      Not seen such Bravery! Blue Valkyrie's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
      Draw v Wolves

Liverpool beat Cardiff

Lose to Spurs

*Massive favour from Fulham who beat Cardiff*

... Then the late kick off v Newcastle.

An unlikely win would put us 6 ahead with 2 to play...

So there is a bit of hope still lingering...
      Out of contract June 2019 : Hemed, Towell ( 1 further year option ).