Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton Article in the Argus today.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
There is nothing wrong with fans wanting us to be more attacking, but at this stage of the season, with players who's confidence is on the floor and four of the top seven left to play, it would be suicidal.

I am critical and FWIW it's not about being 'more attacking' but it is about playing with more pace and energy, movement off the ball, creating space and moving upfield. Too often I saw Propper and Gross in good positions to receive a ball but they weren't spotted ... surely that's coaching, maybe discipline?

Cardiff looked like world beaters on Tuesday night, largely because we persisted in giving the ball back to them, leaving huge holes in midfield, being predictable (CB's to FB's who sent it up the line to be chased or who tried to play triangles in a hugely crowded area). As we became more frustrated I saw the discipline going (long balls over the top, more misplaced passes and players out of position)

Of course 'tightening up our defence' is needed but if we're going to let teams like Cardiff glide through our midfield the way we did and offer no forward threat whatsoever, then hoping we might sneak a couple of draws is fanciful at best

#stillangry

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
That 12 to 5 is looking very tempting at the moment

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We've just conceded 7 goals in 2 games at home without scoring - both games we've conceded a pathetically defended goal inside the first half hour making it incredibly difficult to get anything from the game.

What is he supposed to say, defending isn't the issue at the moment?

If we got a new manager in tomorrow, that is exactly what they'd say. Our survival right now I will say is down to how many goals we don't concede, not how many we score. If we can keep a clean sheet, we will genuinely have a chance of the winning the game. Keep going 1 nil down early and we'll go down.

Put it this way, 2 draws from our last 5 is basically as good as 1 win, in either event Cardiff would need to beat Fulham and Palace provided our GD stays reasonably ahead, or get something against Liverpool or Man Utd.

Clean sheet on Saturday would be massive. Could transform how we go into the final 4 games.

I completely agree but, and obviously it's a massive BUT.
No shots on target.

Currently going 1-0 down is the end of the game, whether it's the first or last minute it really doesn't matter.

No shots on target = No points.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We are playing Spurs at an ideal time, 2 matches against City and a CL semi to come means they aren't going to take us that seriously which means we should go at them whilst at Wolves it's DEFEND for our LIVES

In the words of our dear departed mutual friend Roy Chuter (from a banner he took to Stoke)

"REPENT and DEFEND"

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No shots on target.

Currently going 1-0 down is the end of the game, whether it's the first or last minute it really doesn't matter.

But when you are where we are, every minute that passes is a minute you might have the confidence you will score. Conceding is a hammer blow when your confidence is on the floor. We'll never know, but had we not conceded that first goal Tuesday, perhaps the shots on target would have started to come. We have to give ourselves that chance.

When you're not scoring very many, and it's feeling like you're not going to, once a team scores, it's like going 2 nil down at any other time. We have to give ourselves the chance that 1 goal will be enough to win a game.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
This is frustrating. I'm in the hughton in camp. Or am I. I dont know now.
This just says to me let's park the bus for the season and hope for 0 0s to stay up. Get on the bore draws with every bookie that does them folks. It's not going to be pretty while Chris battens down the hatches and inspects the damage after

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No shots on target.

71 PL games played, wins after conceding the first goal = 1

Logically therefore don't concede the first goal, and we may have a chance

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Eh? Saying he can't see us turning into a free-scoring outfit is NOT the same thing as having no faith in us scoring any more goals.

Jesus Christ, I haven't seen that sort of disingenuous nonsense outside of extreme Brexiteer liars like IDS and John Redwood telling every interviewee that the people clearly voted for a no deal Brexit.

Flip it round. Imagine he said “we’re not gonna become defensively solid anytime soon”. **** me.

Being really really cautious and playing 1 up front at home against shit teams not working? Go MORE cautious and HOPE they don’t score.

His heads gone. No wonder the players aren’t playing for him.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
Tony Bloom can't be happy about seeing the money spent on forward players that he is coming out with statements like that. Can't help but feel he is making it easy for the club to sack him so he gets a nice little pay off

I don't think that's fair: he's always struck me as a decent, honest manager. That said, things are going horribly wrong with most everyone losing 'form' at the same time. But now is not the time to start vilifying him, much as many of his tactical decisions and late substitutions probably deserve it. Surely the only thing to do is give as much support as we can and leave the rest till the end of the season. And then we might think of a new manager. Pity that Nathan isn't still here...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
"So Chris, we've had one shot on target per game for the last 5 games. What do you plan to do about that?"

"Be more defensive."

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Flip it round. Imagine he said “we’re not gonna become defensively solid anytime soon”. **** me.

Being really really cautious and playing 1 up front at home against shit teams not working? Go MORE cautious and HOPE they don’t score.

His heads gone. No wonder the players aren’t playing for him.

If he'd said "we’re not gonna become defensively solid anytime soon” I'd have had more of an issue with it because we were defensively solid until 3 months ago. On the other hand, we haven't scored more than 2 goals in a game since Palace at home (4th Dec) and that isn't changing any time soon because we don't have the players.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
71 PL games played, wins after conceding the first goal = 1

Logically therefore don't concede the first goal, and we may have a chance

And that win was against the worst team in the league that had a man sent off with an hour to play.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I genuinely fear for what could happen on Saturday.

We were very fortuitous to nick that win back in October and Wolves can now focus on securing the 7th place spot that is likely to see them playing in Europe next year.

Screenshot 2019-04-18 at 10.40.40.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here