Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton Article in the Argus today.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
We will roll over and get our bellies tickled on Saturday as we will concede first half and not have a plan b to keeping it tight

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If we're going to criticise Chris Hughon, can we collectively do so by complaining about what is happening on the pitch, let's not find stupid reasons to slaughter him further. He has been absolutely OUTSTANDING for us for 48 months and shithouse for 3. He does not deserve to be criticised over wànky meaningless newspaper interviews.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
He's right though isn't he?

If this was happening to anyone else, we would all be saying 'They've got to stop shipping goals' and that is all he has said. We need to start picking up some points to stay in this division and the team that went 1-0 down to Cardiff on Tuesday look totally devoid of any confidence. If they are able to go to Wolves on Saturday and grind out a 0-0, the pressure shifts back to Cardiff and starts to ease on us. It was only 2014/15 when Hughton saved us from relegation from the Championship with virtually no forward line, scraping out points despite scoring only a couple in the last 5-10 games. I know its frustrating, but the Hughton-Out element need to understand that we do not have the players to go toe to toe in a scoring competition with anybody in the last five games. If we are going to scrape out of this it will be by getting back to doing what we have done well in the past: frustrating opponents by defending well. Six of the seven goals we conceded last week were on the counter attack. If we try to force it, we will concede, heads will go down and things will get worse.

There is nothing wrong with fans wanting us to be more attacking, but at this stage of the season, with players who's confidence is on the floor and four of the top seven left to play, it would be suicidal.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
We've shipped 11 goals in the last 4 games and haven't scored.

If our attackers are going to have a dry spell we absolutely have to defend better than we have done. Even if we find our shooting boots, the way we've been defending of late it won't be enough to get anything out of most games.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
hardly....but then you're glass has never been half empty let alone half full

Exactly. We're in squeaky bum territory, but if he steers us to safety (as he did in his opening 3 months here), ships out the dross (cheerio Locadia, Propper, Ali J, and you're on thin ice too Andone) and we have a quality Watford-esque season because Hughton decides he has the personnel to play more attacking football next season, I hope he gets a chance to have a good look around at all bet-wetting pant-pissing nobs around him who wanted him binned off so badly that they were slaughtering him for the most stupid reasons known to man.

They voted for Brexit unconditionally.
They voted for Brexit given what they were told and/or knew of the complexity surrounding it. The point I was making was that nobody voted for a no-deal Brexit and there is no evidence to suggest that this is the majority view given the current situation, yet those two people have told bare faced lies suggesting otherwise.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Well, we need to stop letting goals in and it's very obvious we aren't much cop at scoring.

Can we make them into a team of fearless effective attackers who defend like lions in the next couple of weeks? CH is pragmatic at all times and in this case he's probably right - but it isn't what we want to hear.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Exactly. We're in squeaky bum territory, but if he steers us to safety (as he did in his opening 3 months here), ships out the dross (cheerio Locadia, Propper, Ali J, and you're on thin ice too Andone) and we have a quality Watford-esque season because Hughton decides he has the personnel to play more attacking football next season, I hope he gets a chance to have a good look around at all bet-wetting pant-pissing nobs around him who wanted him binned off so badly that they were slaughtering him for the most stupid reasons known to man.

:thumbsup:

Couldn't have put it better

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Taking into account the ability of both Wolves and Spurs to score goals what would you expect if we attacked them as many suggest... Simple a 3- 0 defeat at least. Being tight says that we MIGHT get a 0-0 draw or even a 1-0 win. I would gratefully settle for one of each a 0-0 draw and a 1-0 win in any order.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I’m frustrated with the excessive focus on defence. My guess is that the players are.

Nobody is saying that we should be ignoring the need to be solid. Clearly what we need is a risk based approach to attacking, a better balance between attack and defence. The messages coming from the manager, and the football we’re seeing suggest the plan is to 0-0 our way to safety. Now that might work, but I’m not sure it’s inspiring fans or players.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Well, we need to stop letting goals in and it's very obvious we aren't much cop at scoring.

Can we make them into a team of fearless effective attackers who defend like lions in the next couple of weeks? CH is pragmatic at all times and in this case he's probably right - but it isn't what some of us want to hear.

Excuse me ...but just a slight correction if thats ok

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He's right though isn't he?

If this was happening to anyone else, we would all be saying 'They've got to stop shipping goals' and that is all he has said. We need to start picking up some points to stay in this division and the team that went 1-0 down to Cardiff on Tuesday look totally devoid of any confidence. If they are able to go to Wolves on Saturday and grind out a 0-0, the pressure shifts back to Cardiff and starts to ease on us. It was only 2014/15 when Hughton saved us from relegation from the Championship with virtually no forward line, scraping out points despite scoring only a couple in the last 5-10 games. I know its frustrating, but the Hughton-Out element need to understand that we do not have the players to go toe to toe in a scoring competition with anybody in the last five games. If we are going to scrape out of this it will be by getting back to doing what we have done well in the past: frustrating opponents by defending well. Six of the seven goals we conceded last week were on the counter attack. If we try to force it, we will concede, heads will go down and things will get worse.

There is nothing wrong with fans wanting us to be more attacking, but at this stage of the season, with players who's confidence is on the floor and four of the top seven left to play, it would be suicidal.

Problem is you need a near-perfect defensive performance to keep virtually any PL team at bay for 90 mins - we did it brilliantly at times this season (Wolves - H, WHU - H, Watford - H, Newcastle - A for example) but it's very difficult to keep a clean sheet, if and when we concede a goal - and we do now because a) the team isn't performing and b) we've been sussed by every other manager - we're utterly ****ed because we simply can't score (or even create a meaningful chance). The team KNOW this, so their heads drop because they already know the game has gone when we concede, then we get battered. Rinse and repeat.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
I can understand what CH is saying. Whilst I would like more entertaing football now is not the time. However it seems to me that the way he put it potentially demotivates the likes of Murray and Andone by suggesting they are not good enough to score. Maybe thats true but saying it publically wont help players who are already struggling. There is no either or here: of course we need the defense to play like they did last year but we also need forward players who believe in themselves.

If we survive this year the management need to evaluate where we are going. If as CH says we cant be free scoring we need to find a striker who can be relied on to score regularly or strengthen the midfield attack so we have more options flr goal scoring. At the moment I'm not sure CH can see past the defensive problems but we need something next season to enthuse players and fans.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Ball retention is our biggest problem, that’s what leads to a lot of goals. It is actually pretty disgraceful for a top flight team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here