Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton Article in the Argus today.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No they spent it calling for the manager's head.

So did I am I truly don't care beyond loathing Hughes and his £40,000,000 in pay off for being proper proper shitehouse.

But I'll say again I bet 7p no I'm so confident make it 11 pence, that below 'Hughes-out' there was still plenty of noise about the quality of players he was working with.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I'll hazard a guess plenty of Southampton fans spent the first half of the season thinking their players were shithouse, their transfer policy was failing and nobody could get a tune out such bad footballers.

Oh and I'm beginning to think CH doesn't have enough in the bank to get past the teams inevitable 'bad' start next season (irrespective as to how actually bad the start is).
I'm also questioning whether he has enough sway with those above him to say 'I need x,y & z gone and many more millions spent on a, b & c, in order to have a team that WILL score the goals you expect'.

I work with a few soton fans, thy didnt believe this at all. They felt hughes was a dinosaur and the team had no synergy

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I work with a few soton fans, thy didnt believe this at all. They felt hughes was a dinosaur and the team had no synergy

I do hope you applied the word synergy to their feelings.
Because if you're trying to tell us they said that themselves I'm gonna have to press this:-

41n0S5fHOLL._SY355_.jpg

:lolol:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Surely it's Tony Bloom that has the say on budgets and money to be spent? January would surely have been his call?

No matter what you say, I cannot imagine Hughton wouldn't have wanted to bring players in, when he was told he couldn't, he towed the party line as he does. For all we know he had specific targets and was denied going after them.

You know blaming Bloom is crossing the line, so you just vent at the manager and CEO, and likely neither of them ultimately made that call.

I'm not afraid to criticise Bloom, if there's reason to. Hard to criticise a man who has pumped over 300 Million in to the club though.

If Hughton wanted to strengthen the squad he should have been more forceful. If Barber could see the squad wasn't good enough, as CEO he should have insisted on bringing reinforcements in. Bloom is not stupid, he is also a fan like us and he sees the same problems we do. Maybe neither trusted Hughton to spend any more money? None of us know who bought in the summer signings so to blame Hughton is perhaps unfair. If it wasn't Hughton, he should have been insisting that players were needed, especially goal scorers and midfielders, if we wanted to stay up. The CEO runs the club for Bloom. Hughton reports to Barber presumably given Bloom isn't always around? Regardless, Hughton and Barber should have been more insistent. Unless they are both looking over their shoulders? None of us know that either.

Ultimately, the recruitment buck stops somewhere, be that Bloom, Hughton or Barber or a combination of the three and somebody totally f.ucked up in January.

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Sorry if this has been mentioned in this thread but FOR ****S SAKE!
We've spent the BULK of our money on attacking players and "we haven’t been a big goalscoring team. For what we have, we’re not going to be that."

What an absolute '**** you' to those players and any attacking player at the club. In fact, bollocks, just play 11 defenders.

The Albion

Apr 15, 2019
For a team that has a manager fully focussed on us shutting up shop and nicking a cheeky 1-0 win here and there, we sure do concede a whole lot of goals...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'm officially HughtonOut, but I kind of agree with him here. His successes with us have all been based on ultra conservative defensive solidity, keeping it tight and then exploiting the few chances we get. Assuming that he is unable of getting us to ping it round like Ajax in a week, and assuming that we're far less proficient at exploiting chances, our best bet is definitely to hunker down further.

Certainly virtually every Premier League appearance has been based on ultra conservative defensive stability as you put it. That wasn't true when we were a Championship side though, and in out promotion season we were free scoring.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol

He's got to go.
I'm sorry- it's not a 'symptom of the modern game', it's not ungrateful supporters, or us 'forgetting the dark days'. He has obviously lost the dressing room to the most extreme level and players are being sent out with no motivation, no clue, and no fight. He just seems to have given up. It's inexcusable. Our loyalty wouldn't be rewarded (unless you regard another season of this reward).

We've just lost 0-5 at home and 0-2 at home to Cardiff. 0-5! Bournemouth had won one in eleven previous away games- and that was Huddersfield. We lost 0-5. We then had the perfect opportunity to put that right on Tuesday, another home game against an even weaker team, and we absolutely bottled it. No fight. No energy. Attacking players left on the bench. Players fighting. etc etc.

How bad does it have to get? Personally, being relegated isn't worse if we at least show some semblance of fight. Staying up, but playing like this is ****ing BLEAK.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
He doesn’t even seem that bothered he blames everything and everybody else but himself, I hadn’t noticed until a non Brighton fan pointed it out. When Knocky scores the winner at Palace he didn’t even praise him only said Antony needs to improve. He’s like the dad your always trying to please yet always finds a fault in whatever you do.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
To me it looks like we have lost the mentle concentration levels which are needed the way Hughton sets is up.

You would have hoped that the players that came in last summer and in previous windows would have added some quality in the middle of the park and up top to take away from us having to commit to do or die defending where the concentration levels have to be top notch EVERY GAME.

To not sign anyone in January was extremely naive.

Hughton is partly to blame but the tools he’s been given over recent windows are not anywhere near the standard or what we actually needed.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Just a bit of clarification from my perspective:-

Hughton said: “We haven’t been a big goalscoring team. For what we have, we’re not going to be that.

Hughton means: "We ****ed up royally in the summer transfer market spunking record cash for players that don't make us more attacking, and in January we thought we were already safe, plus we didn't trust our own recruitment team to buy wisely"

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He's got to go.
I'm sorry- it's not a 'symptom of the modern game', it's not ungrateful supporters, or us 'forgetting the dark days'. He has obviously lost the dressing room to the most extreme level and players are being sent out with no motivation, no clue, and no fight. He just seems to have given up. It's inexcusable. Our loyalty wouldn't be rewarded (unless you regard another season of this reward).

We've just lost 0-5 at home and 0-2 at home to Cardiff. 0-5! Bournemouth had won one in eleven previous away games- and that was Huddersfield. We lost 0-5. We then had the perfect opportunity to put that right on Tuesday, another home game against an even weaker team, and we absolutely bottled it. No fight. No energy. Attacking players left on the bench. Players fighting. etc etc.

How bad does it have to get? Personally, being relegated isn't worse if we at least show some semblance of fight. Staying up, but playing like this is ****ing BLEAK.

He doesn’t even seem that bothered he blames everything and everybody else but himself, I hadn’t noticed until a non Brighton fan pointed it out. When Knocky scores the winner at Palace he didn’t even praise him only said Antony needs to improve. He’s like the dad your always trying to please yet always finds a fault in whatever you do.

I was watching him during the game on Tuesday quite a bit - didn't seem to be very animated at all, particularly in the second half. Obviously difficult from a distance but just got a sense he was either paralysed with fear, or resigned to the fact the game had gone. Allowing Stephens to carry on having the nightmare he was, not even making a third sub when we simply had to get something out of the game, and resorting to letting Duffy lumber about upfront and Bruno chase through-balls into the box as the player furthest forward suggested the plot had been completely lost, on the pitch and in the dugout. It's not just his press comments here that are the issue for me - it's how they tie in with what's actually been happening on the pitch. When we concede first we are screwed. He knows it, the players know it and we all know it. I'm all for him trying to cure our leaky defence because that is clearly an issue too, but as soon as we let one in I don't feel as though we have any chance of getting anything, and to compound it we don't really try anything materially different when it happens - we get a like for like sub between 60 + 75 mins.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
To me it looks like we have lost the mentle concentration levels which are needed the way Hughton sets is up.

You would have hoped that the players that came in last summer and in previous windows would have added some quality in the middle of the park and up top to take away from us having to commit to do or die defending where the concentration levels have to be top notch EVERY GAME.

To not sign anyone in January was extremely naive.

Hughton is partly to blame but the tools he’s been given over recent windows are not anywhere near the standard or what we actually needed.

The trouble is to fans, our plight really means everything..... To a lot of the players it doesn't much, it's just a job where I get paid either way...... no doubt players agents are already considering the "where next" should we go down.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sorry if this has been mentioned in this thread but FOR ****S SAKE!
We've spent the BULK of our money on attacking players and "we haven’t been a big goalscoring team. For what we have, we’re not going to be that."

What an absolute '**** you' to those players and any attacking player at the club. In fact, bollocks, just play 11 defenders.

Absolutely. Imagine being Andone reading that. Piss poor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here