Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton Article in the Argus today.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
If I remember correctly...and I DO, here's a fact that I think has been totally forgotten by many Albion fans.

Around November time last year, Hughton was asked about his plans for the upcoming Winter transfer window.

His words went something like this...I believe we have enough quality in the squad and I don't particularly see the need for us to go into the market.

Or to quote We are Brighton.com in an early 2019 article...

"Chris Hughton said it would be a quiet January transfer window for Brighton and Hove Albion and he wasn’t wrong as the Seagulls didn’t bring in one player to strengthen their squad for the immediate future"

So, now tell me all the 'in Hughton we trust' fans, do you still have total faith in Hughton as our manager for the remainder of this, and possibly next season??

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Hughton is right.
We haven’t got the players to play an expansive game with lots of goal scoring opportunities.
If we played like that we’d risk getting slaughtered in the premier league.
Is that not obvious?
Our budget is bottom four, our squad is bottom four quality.
The best we can do is ground out a one nil win. If we concede we will struggle - that’ll be because our best forward is 35yo. His replacements range from crap (locadia) to patchy (andone).
So It comes back to poor recruitment. Our big signings are duffers. Hughton May be responsible for this, but right now the squad is what it is.
Unfortunately we are getting found out at the the worst possible time. That’s football.
I’m amazed some people think aj, locadia, bissouma , Propper etc would suddenly become world beaters if they were pushed further forward. Do me a favour...maybe in the Dutch league, not against Man City. They’re not good enough.
Hughton is limited and his teams can be a grim watch, but in this article his grounded take on things is about right.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If I remember correctly...and I DO, here's a fact that I think has been totally forgotten by many Albion fans.

Around November time last year, Hughton was asked about his plans for the upcoming Winter transfer window.

His words went something like this...I believe we have enough quality in the squad and I don't particularly see the need for us to go into the market.

Or to quote We are Brighton.com in an early 2019 article...

"Chris Hughton said it would be a quiet January transfer window for Brighton and Hove Albion and he wasn’t wrong as the Seagulls didn’t bring in one player to strengthen their squad for the immediate future"

So, now tell me all the 'in Hughton we trust' fans, do you still have total faith in Hughton as our manager for the remainder of this, and possibly next season??

I have been thinking about his comments on the January transfer window whilst reading all the posts about lack of the required quality in the squad. The fact that he actually said that he thought we had enough makes me wonder if those decrying our quality are suggesting they know better than him?

I am firmly in the Hughton out camp since the Cardiff game but respect that there is no right or wrong solution to this. I’d have liked to see a caretaker in to the end of the season from tomorrow to hopefully get a new manager bounce to get the three points, which would probably be enough.

I will, of course, remain behind him and hope to be proved very wrong in my feeling of impending doom for this season. To be clear I didn’t and never have booed the team at any stage and nor do I hurl loud abuse at players. I limit it to moaning to the people I go with and on here.

Onwards and upwards, we are all in this together with different views on the best way forward. Only one man actually makes those decisions though, just how it should be too. Fan power should not be a major consideration in the decision.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Hughton is right.
We haven’t got the players to play an expansive game with lots of goal scoring opportunities.
If we played like that we’d risk getting slaughtered in the premier league.
Is that not obvious?
Our budget is bottom four, our squad is bottom four quality.
The best we can do is ground out a one nil win. If we concede we will struggle - that’ll be because our best forward is 35yo. His replacements range from crap (locadia) to patchy (andone).
So It comes back to poor recruitment. Our big signings are duffers. Hughton May be responsible for this, but right now the squad is what it is.
Unfortunately we are getting found out at the the worst possible time. That’s football.
I’m amazed some people think aj, locadia, bissouma , Propper etc would suddenly become world beaters if they were pushed further forward. Do me a favour...maybe in the Dutch league, not against Man City. They’re not good enough.
Hughton is limited and his teams can be a grim watch, but in this article his grounded take on things is about right.
The thing that disappoints most of us are the basic lack of skills on display since Christmas. Lack of fight/passion, lack of movement, lack of ball control, lack of accurate passing. I could go on but you get the picture. These are team skills that many championship ( and lower) teams have. Why can't our players get their act together on the pitch. As many have said if our people at work underperform they will be replaced. Shame we can't do the same.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The thing that disappoints most of us are the basic lack of skills on display since Christmas. Lack of fight/passion, lack of movement, lack of ball control, lack of accurate passing. I could go on but you get the picture. These are team skills that many championship ( and lower) teams have. Why can't our players get their act together on the pitch. As many have said if our people at work underperform they will be replaced. Shame we can't do the same.

This, but that has to be down to a total lack of confidence and belief, either in their own ability or the team and tactics, or both.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Aye I agree with you....it seems that posters just love giving him a good kicking no matter what he says ..this team was built on solid defence and that has disintegrated ..back to basics to give us that platform to grind out a draw/nick a win ....I'll get shot down in flames ..but I'm totally with this

Me too. We’re not going to suddenly become Barcelona. The one detrimental aspect of the Cup run is that the games are now so close together, I doubt he could change anything meaningful even if he wanted to. So, with Gross fit, the obvious tactic is to return to the system that served us well and be defensively solid.

No-one seems to register that circumstances meant we had 2 strikers on for a lot of the game on Tuesday - and still made little impression. If we’d defended properly and drawn 0-0, we’d be pretty much safe.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Lack of movement is absolutely infuriating. Players making no effort to find space with a player standing beside them. No wonder we go backwards and sideways so often. The alternative is a 50 percent chance of giving the ball away, over the last three games it must have risen to 70 percent given the lack of effort from some players.

Is this not something the manager should address?

I am staggered so many of you are blaming everyone BUT the manager for shortcomings that have absolutely nothing to do with skill levels. If we don’t do the basics right then of course our players shortcomings will be highlighted.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If you blame coaches for everything that happens on a football pitch, then we are at an impasse in the discussion.

Where did I say I blame them for everything? A few times now I’ve said the blame should be shared. The longer it goes on however, the more that rests on the manager.

If you genuinely think that 2 goals in 4 and a half months is anything other than shocking, then there’s probably no point in us carrying on.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So you don’t think Hassenhuttl has made a difference at saints? (Without any change in players, and a squad many on here agreed was poor)

I said blaming a manager for everything. For every Hassenhuttl, there are relegated teams that changed their manager once, twice in the season to no effect. Norwich sacked Hughton with 5 to play, they'll never know if he would have steered them to safety, could they have won at Fulham, and got a draw in one of the others? What was clear is the change made no impact whatsoever.

Solksjear has had a massive impact, he could still be sacked by Christmas though. Was it his management that got the lift from the players, or just the players deciding to play? Funny old thing football.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Where did I say I blame them for everything? A few times now I’ve said the blame should be shared. The longer it goes on however, the more that rests on the manager.

If you genuinely think that 2 goals in 4 and a half months is anything other than shocking, then there’s probably no point in us carrying on.

You said that defined Hughton as not being an attacking coach. That is what I was disputing, and giving you evidence of his time with us, and spells with other clubs that clearly show many of his teams have been free scoring.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I said blaming a manager for everything. For every Hassenhuttl, there are relegated teams that changed their manager once, twice in the season to no effect. Norwich sacked Hughton with 5 to play, they'll never know if he would have steered them to safety, could they have won at Fulham, and got a draw in one of the others? What was clear is the change made no impact whatsoever.

Solksjear has had a massive impact, he could still be sacked by Christmas though. Was it his management that got the lift from the players, or just the players deciding to play? Funny old thing football.

Nothing’s guaranteed in football for sure. But given the choice between the likelihood of a caretaker manager bounce vs Hughton-ball finding a way to nick a point by defending for 90 minutes I know which I’d put my money on

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Nothing’s guaranteed in football for sure. But given the choice between the likelihood of a caretaker manager bounce vs Hughton-ball finding a way to nick a point by defending for 90 minutes I know which I’d put my money on

You'd have to know what is going on in the dressing room I feel. That would be the key to that decision. I wouldn't want to call it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Lack of movement is absolutely infuriating. Players making no effort to find space with a player standing beside them. No wonder we go backwards and sideways so often. The alternative is a 50 percent chance of giving the ball away, over the last three games it must have risen to 70 percent given the lack of effort from some players.

Is this not something the manager should address?

I am staggered so many of you are blaming everyone BUT the manager for shortcomings that have absolutely nothing to do with skill levels. If we don’t do the basics right then of course our players shortcomings will be highlighted.

Exactly this. Our movement off the ball is restricted to very near the play. Our passing is too slow. We take too long on the ball. When we try something more adventurous we simply attempt ill-considered passes that go astray. We seem to have the confidence only to play conservatively (the famous horse shoe configuration). The fact that CH isn't screaming at them from the touchline, or commenting on it post match suggests the team are doing exactly what he's asking them to do. That, frankly, means we are going down.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Exactly this. Our movement off the ball is restricted to very near the play. Our passing is too slow. We take too long on the ball. When we try something more adventurous we simply attempt ill-considered passes that go astray. We seem to have the confidence only to play conservatively (the famous horse shoe configuration). The fact that CH isn't screaming at them from the touchline, or commenting on it post match suggests the team are doing exactly what he's asking them to do. That, frankly, means we are going down.

Funny, I was sure he was screaming at them most of the game Tuesday, he seemed exasperated at times. I think we all see what we want to see.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Funny, I was sure he was screaming at them most of the game Tuesday, he seemed exasperated at times. I think we all see what we want to see.

So he’ll be dropping the players who ignored him at the Cardiff game for tomorrow’s game? Because they were definitely not even attempting to move around, even at throw ins ffs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here