Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton Article in the Argus today.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/17581377.albion-warned-tighten-up-to-stay-up-warns-chris-hughton/

ALBION have been told to tighten up if they want to stay up.

The Seagulls will increase their two-point advantage over 18th-placed Cardiff City, who host Liverpool on Sunday, if they keep just a second away clean sheet of the season at Wolves.

But Chris Hughton admits his low-scoring side have not been defending well enough.

The Albion boss says he cannot see his current squad suddenly becoming a free-scoring outfit.

But he believes they must defend better as a team – starting at Molineux.

Albion, Fulham and Arsenal have each managed just one shut out away from home.

Hughton said: “We haven’t been a big goalscoring team. For what we have, we’re not going to be that.

“What we have been able to do is stay in games, make games close and tight affairs.

“In those games (defeats at home to Bournemouth and Cardiff), we’ve conceded far too many goals, and that’s not down to individuals. It’s down to the team.

“If we’re not going to score the goals, we need to be more resilient.

“Over the last few days, we haven’t been like that.”

Albion have only once conceded less than two goals in their last seven away games – and it brought them a 2-1 win at Crystal Palace.

Hughton, whose side are goalless in five games in league and cup, said: “We put in a performance at Palace which allowed us to win the game. We’ll have to do that again.”

I am in the Hughton in camp - but Jesus Christ this man is testing me. Admittedly the defense has been utterly shocking lately - but he continues to miss the key reason we are in the shitter. We aren't scoring goals.

I don't pretend to be a football expert - but unless I am mistaken the way you win a game is to score more goals than the opposition?

All I am reading from this article is 'don't expect change folks - we are going to continue on this depressing sleepwalk to the championship, enjoy.'

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It'll be nice to have 11 men behind the ball instead of 10.

To think posters say 'CH is too rigid and doesn't react'.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
"If we're not going to score"

FFS. Said in the same way as you or I might say "If we're not going to win the lottery, we need to cut down on the food and electricity".

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He might as well have left the word 'If' off. What a shocking, if honest, admission.

Don't forget though. Wolves. These are a good side.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I'm officially HughtonOut, but I kind of agree with him here. His successes with us have all been based on ultra conservative defensive solidity, keeping it tight and then exploiting the few chances we get. Assuming that he is unable of getting us to ping it round like Ajax in a week, and assuming that we're far less proficient at exploiting chances, our best bet is definitely to hunker down further.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Tony Bloom can't be happy about seeing the money spent on forward players that he is coming out with statements like that. Can't help but feel he is making it easy for the club to sack him so he gets a nice little pay off

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We've just conceded 7 goals in 2 games at home without scoring - both games we've conceded a pathetically defended goal inside the first half hour making it incredibly difficult to get anything from the game.

What is he supposed to say, defending isn't the issue at the moment?

If we got a new manager in tomorrow, that is exactly what they'd say. Our survival right now I will say is down to how many goals we don't concede, not how many we score. If we can keep a clean sheet, we will genuinely have a chance of the winning the game. Keep going 1 nil down early and we'll go down.

Put it this way, 2 draws from our last 5 is basically as good as 1 win, in either event Cardiff would need to beat Fulham and Palace provided our GD stays reasonably ahead, or get something against Liverpool or Man Utd.

Clean sheet on Saturday would be massive. Could transform how we go into the final 4 games.

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The Seagulls will increase their two-point advantage over 18th-placed Cardiff City, who host Liverpool on Sunday, if they keep just a second away clean sheet of the season at Wolves.

You mean if we get at least a draw on Saturday and Cardiff aren't playing until Sunday, we will increase the gap?

No shit!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Pre Christmas we would never have given away 5 goals against Bournemouth and made similar mistakes against Burnley, Southampton or Cardiff, I have been saying on here that our problems stem from Duffy and Dunk not performing as they did early season.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Pre Christmas we would never have given away 5 goals against Bournemouth and made similar mistakes against Burnley, Southampton or Cardiff, I have been saying on here that our problems stem from Duffy and Dunk not performing as they did early season.

Agreed. You need a foundation to win games. Our wins against the likes of Everton, Wolves, Palace, Huddersfield, came from being completely solid.

I don't know whether player power and meetings have resulted in Hughton's hand being forced to try to play more attacking football, but it's backfired badly, and we're like a sieve at the back. We have to give ourselves a chance in games.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
CH is absolutely correct if we keep 4 clean sheets until the Man City game we will be safe, or hopefully nick a goal in one of the games, even an OG.

Aye I agree with you....it seems that posters just love giving him a good kicking no matter what he says ..this team was built on solid defence and that has disintegrated ..back to basics to give us that platform to grind out a draw/nick a win ....I'll get shot down in flames ..but I'm totally with this

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here