Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton Article in the Argus today.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Jesus wept, if that’s really what he thinks the answer is we’re even more f***** than I thought. We’re averaging 1 (ONE) shot on goal in the last 5 matches. No, we’re not Barcelona going forward, but setting the players up to think that their best chance is to pack their own half, keep it to nil nil and hope to nick one off Duffy’s arse is hardly going to help their confidence or positivity. I was In till recently but the man needs to go and he needs to go now

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Jesus wept, if that’s really what he thinks the answer is we’re even more f***** than I thought. We’re averaging 1 (ONE) shot on goal in the last 5 matches. No, we’re not Barcelona going forward, but setting the players up to think that their best chance is to pack their own half, keep it to nil nil and hope to nick one off Duffy’s arse is hardly going to help their confidence or positivity. I was In till recently but the man needs to go and he needs to go now

Right this very minute?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Idk why so much blame goes on Ali J and Locadia. What about all our other signings? Have they performed well? I would say no. when its a bunch of new players not performing well u kind of start to think it might not be the players but the management that cant get the best out of them. I genuinely believe if they left to any decent attacking side they all flourish. My opinion though.
There's no hiding the fact they've made themselves very easy targets.

There have been occasions when Locadia has given his doubters momentary pause for thought, the same can't be said of Ali.

My opinion of 'first season, new team mates, manager, country, seemingly new position, on the back of a World Cup all hampered by injury and a lack of consecutive starts' go some way for mitigation doesn't wash with many on here, Ali is now officially shitehouse..

Your joining date would suggest you might be surprised to learn the manager was completely above reproach (with a fair degree of justification) up until just a few weeks ago, so oddly failings on the pitch were entirely down to the players.

We, as fans, have always had a curious need to hound 'one of our own', I'm a veteran of 40 years and along with seemingly hundreds of fabulous centre backs & a similar number of really poor centre forwards, booing our own players have been the 3 mainstays of my time.

More so for football fans in general (thankfully not just us this time) first impressions matter, they really matter.
If someone takes against a player 10 minutes into their debut, it'll take many many Messiesque seasons for that person to eventually say 'I guess he's not bad, although I was right he still has a mistake in him'. High praise indeed.
Thankfully though the same does work t'other way round, so it's not all doom and gloom.
Which in turn might help you understand why the shotshy Murray is keeping players half his age out of the team.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Idk why so much blame goes on Ali J and Locadia. What about all our other signings? Have they performed well? I would say no. when its a bunch of new players not performing well u kind of start to think it might not be the players but the management that cant get the best out of them. I genuinely believe if they left to any decent attacking side they all flourish. My opinion though.

I start to think that our PL recruitment might be suspect, to an extent.

We’ll soon find out next season, wherever the players are ... at what first team level are they starring at?

Some might make the grade as first teamers in a tough top flight, but others won’t cut it.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Do you think Warnock would have been saying to his team "These are a good side" before their game against us?

He would have been saying "Look at them, they are shit. They lost 5-0 to ****ing Bournemouth. We are going to batter these ********. It's in our hands now lets ****ing take it to them". Surprise surprise, they beat us.
Oh yes indeedy , that's more like it Chris . They don't like it up em .

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Do you think Warnock would have been saying to his team "These are a good side" before their game against us?

He would have been saying "Look at them, they are shit. They lost 5-0 to ****ing Bournemouth. We are going to batter these ********. It's in our hands now lets ****ing take it to them". Surprise surprise, they beat us.

We weren't up to our levels.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Bozza, you are simplifying matters to diminish the man’s true capability. The real talk is “we didn’t reach them levels in those areas and these are a good side”.

Seriously, this bloke has asphyxiated every last drop of confidence, fight, bite, guile, guts and belief out of our players, to the point he is sending them out in lambs to the slaughter mode. Considering he earns ten times what the Prime Minister earns, and his job is infinitely more simple, all he needs to do is organise 10 talented geezers and send them out there with belief and a method. Firk me, it’s not difficult, is it?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Bozza, you are simplifying matters to diminish the man’s true capability. The real talk is “we didn’t reach them levels in those areas and these are a good side”.

Seriously, this bloke has asphyxiated every last drop of confidence, fight, bite, guile, guts and belief out of our players, to the point he is sending them out in lambs to the slaughter mode. Considering he earns ten times what the Prime Minister earns, and his job is infinitely more simple, all he needs to do is organise 10 talented geezers and send them out there with belief and a method. Firk me, it’s not difficult, is it?

Other managers get paid far more & its just as easy for them to organise 10talented geezers.

I'm officially HughtonOut, but I kind of agree with him here. His successes with us have all been based on ultra conservative defensive solidity, keeping it tight and then exploiting the few chances we get. Assuming that he is unable of getting us to ping it round like Ajax in a week, and assuming that we're far less proficient at exploiting chances, our best bet is definitely to hunker down further.

I’m Hughton In but if he doesn’t realise that constantly drawing the opposition towards your goal area by defending deep and in numbers and isolating any poor **** who gets picked up front for the Albion, then the game really is up for us support the manager diehards

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I think CH is simply saying that he’s trying to make the best use of the resources he has available and that you can’t turn a sow’s ear into a silk purse. But if the resources ain’t good enough and don’t seem to be up to the job, ultimately that comes down to poor recruitment, motivation and leadership.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Quite a damning indictment of some fans who have picked up on this interview, as if he isn't saying what most of us are thinking. The sensible ones anyway.

What would you like us do against Wolves? Attack them? ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK on the back of the last set of results? That's not going to go well, we will get mauled. The time to discuss what went wrong and whether we want to see another season of Hughton football should be left until later. Tony is backing him, we need to back him.

Back to basics, keep things tight, grind out a result of some kind. Hughton is good at that, and judging by the fact he is still in a job implies that he has not lost the dressing room. The only other implication being Tony has accepted the worst and doesn't want to pay him off. I think that's unlikely.

I have somehow got some positivity back, away from home the onus is on them and we might just be able to smash and grab.

Because as I see it, we are set up to defend and keep it tight as per. Which is fine.....until you go one down and then you are totally screwed because a team with no outlet, no pace and no attacking options is left on the field, that is what has happened in all of the last 4 games.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Because as I see it, we are set up to defend and keep it tight as per. Which is fine.....until you go one down and then you are totally screwed because a team with no outlet, no pace and no attacking options is left on the field, that is what has happened in all of the last 4 games.

I disagree. We have it within ourselves to be a hell of a lot more negative than what was on display in the past few games. I understand that's probably hard to believe :lolol:

We have conceded through quick turnovers of possession, often with one of our midfield pair pushed up too far. Infringements on the centre circle must not be permitted.

We need to be proper Hughts negative, away to Hull a couple of seasons back I recall. Something like that.

Need to scrape some points, not expect our players to suddenly turn on something which they haven't managed to show us they are capable of in well over 30 games this season.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I think CH is simply saying that he’s trying to make the best use of the resources he has available and that you can’t turn a sow’s ear into a silk purse. But if the resources ain’t good enough and don’t seem to be up to the job, ultimately that comes down to poor recruitment, motivation and leadership.

They were good enough in the first half of the season

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's hard to know if the resources 'ain't good enough' when they aren't used.
Sure it'll take a brave man to change things when they were going well, but by not doing so CH has left himself unable to change when it's going badly.
I assume that's the reason for consistently picking a striker who has not had a shot on target for over a month ahead of 3 players who have a history of goals.
2 of which have scored for the Albion and have even scored, as Murray's form has fallen off a cliff.
They were good enough in the first half of the season

We were 10th after beating palace "and we've only got 10 men".

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

There is another reason why NSC has all but melted to the ground, under the sheer weight of us melts.

We've been allowed to run riot because a certain poster from Chailey keeps us all in check, by pointing out just how wrong everybody else and every single slightest criticism of the club, owner, CEO, recruitment, manager and players is even wronger, because everything is awesome.

Unfortunately if that poster is taking a holiday from NSC, we know things are bad, iceberg/big boat type of bad (oddly he never loses his log in when the Albion are winning).
That in turn induces panic among us passengers and we all end up leaping overboard in the hope we'll be the one who can float home on Winslet's norks.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
a sobering stat

in 2019 we've scored 2 goals at home

unless we get a hatful against Newcastle

that must be some kind of record
That really is shocking.

Based on that alone he should not be allowed anywhere near the first team ever again.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
a sobering stat

in 2019 we've scored 2 goals at home

unless we get a hatful against Newcastle

that must be some kind of record

Although the ratio of shots on target to goals scored is still probably pretty high...

...oh hang on that's not a good thing, is it?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here