Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton Article in the Argus today.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's that last bit that completely riles me, if we were beaten by a better side on the day, having put up a hell of a fight and tried as hard as we possibly could, then fair enough, but we were beaten before we even kicked off.

Absolutely. I'd rather go down swinging than go down with a whimper.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I genuinely think this is a big clue to things not being right. The idea of Bloom and Hughton falling out seemed utterly ludicrous just weeks (maybe even days) ago. Bloom won't be happy about this UNLESS he is thinking the same, if he is what of Winstanley? It's revealing a crack, somewhere.

As In understand it, Hughton says the type of player he wants (e.g a ball playing centre half). Winstanley advises who they know of /have scouted that fits the bill. Its assessed for what it does with age profile, home grown player rules etc and a short list is agreed. Bloom and Barber agree the budget etc and barber and winstanley then go do the business.

So unless Hughton said I want a winger who cant cross or shoot and doesnt track back, then its fair to say that Ali J will be a disappointment to him and maybe the other 3 too

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As In understand it, Hughton says the type of player he wants (e.g a ball playing centre half). Winstanley advises who they know of /have scouted that fits the bill. Its assessed for what it does with age profile, home grown player rules etc and a short list is agreed. Bloom and Barber agree the budget etc and barber and winstanley then go do the business.

So unless Hughton said I want a winger who cant cross or shoot and doesnt track back, then its fair to say that Ali J will be a disappointment to him and maybe the other 3 too

It's a really bizarre one. Ali isn't even a winger.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
The trouble is to fans, our plight really means everything..... To a lot of the players it doesn't much, it's just a job where I get paid either way...... no doubt players agents are already considering the "where next" should we go down.
If you are right and the bulk of the players really don't give a sh#t ( and the performances do indicate tgat) then they gave let the fabs down badly. Just started watching 'Sunderland till I die'. Early days but it seems very close to hone

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's that last bit that completely riles me, if we were beaten by a better side on the day, having put up a hell of a fight and tried as hard as we possibly could, then fair enough, but we were beaten before we even kicked off.
I thought the first 20 minutes was OK but as soon as Cardiff went 1-0 up we got progressively worse. You get that sort of reaction when a team knows it doesn't have two goals in them against anyone.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Imagine playing Frank Lampard as a defensive winger on his wrong foot and wondering why a clearly gifted footballer looks shit.

He's been tried this season as a no.10, on the left on the right, just accept he's crap. I can imagine playing Lampard in goal and he'd make a better fist of the position than Ali J currently is.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He's been tried this season as a no.10, on the left on the right, just accept he's crap. I can imagine playing Lampard in goal and he'd make a better fist of the position than Ali J currently is.

He played Ali in his correct position ONCE (West Brom FA Cup replay). He played well there.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
His last season in holland he went from a number 9 to a number 7

From the highlight reels of his goals he appeared to be playing overwhelmingly as a 10, behind the striker. Much like Propper has done to good effect for Holland.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
His last season in holland he went from a number 9 to a number 7

He was a winger when he arrived in Holland, think it was NEC that played him as a more forward player, and he reverted to winger where I think he mostly turns out for his country.

We have the same issue with people thinking Propper is a no.10 because he played the attacking role twice for Holland.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
From the highlight reels of his goals he appeared to be playing overwhelmingly as a 10, behind the striker. Much like Propper has done to good effect for Holland.

So that provokes another question does it not? why isn't Davy Propper occupying that position for us? We know he has goals in him, he has scored a fair few for his country when playing as a number 10, and it's very much what's missing from our team, goals. Gross hasn't been able to come up with the goals he got last season having been missing through injury, and we have the poosibility of playing Propper further up the pitch now that Bissouma has joined us to slot in behind.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

See above. Propper played twice for Holland as a no.10, twice, it wasn't even a genuine no.10 as they were playing 3 at the back. There is genuine delusion befalling people at the moment. I would expect a decent enough no.10 to be able to contribute to a game of football, whether no.7, 10, 11 or no.9. He's shown nothing.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
See above. Propper played twice for Holland as a no.10, twice, it wasn't even a genuine no.10 as they were playing 3 at the back. There is genuine delusion befalling people at the moment. I would expect a decent enough no.10 to be able to contribute to a game of football, whether no.7, 10, 11 or no.9. He's shown nothing.

Ali or Propper?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

What would your rationale therefore be, if when he leaves us he reverts back to being the effective attacking player he was before he joined us?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here