Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Lactose free diet has transformed my life

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Prompted by the resurfaced haemorrhoid thread...

OK so I have been suffering for 25 years with a lively bottom.

In 2001, doubling up with stabbing pains to the left lower abdomen, I got a 'clinical diagnosis' of diverticulosis. This means pockets in the lower bowel, causing problems (sudden pain, sudden need to shit) especially in the morning.....

So I changed to a high fibre diet. Pain disappeared.....

But the frequency of morning shits slowly increased over the years. To the point where if the train to work had 'no working toilets' (a super special here on the north Kent railway to Hell) I had to go home instead of work.

Early this year, having reached a preposterous seven shits before ten in the morning, I went back to the doc. Cancer? A camera up the arse said 'no'. It also said my colon was as smooth as a baby's forehead. No diverticulosis. What the actual fark?

An old mate of mine told me 20 years ago that milk was for children. Adults metabolise lactose with bacteria that irritate the bowel. '**** off, you silly tart' I said.

In January I though what the ****. Let's try it. Lovely lactose free semi skimmed at Sainsbury. Jobbies a good un?

Within three days my bowel returned to a motion and productivity I had 40 years ago. I accidentally had a cafe au lait a couple of weeks ago and spent three days on the donought in granny's greenhouse, a situation that reverted after I gave my head (and attention to milk) a wobble.

Trust me, you over 35s. This is life changing. Milk is for children. I would be rude to not share this with you.

HWT

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Very true, all of that advice. Similarly, huge numbers of people unknowingly suffer from the effects of IBS.

Although the issue I had was a tumour, I still have that horrible feeling of always needing a loo in sight. It stopped me going to Wembley.

As my ‘mechanics’ aren’t normalised yet, I might try that milk, just to see if it helps.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Soya Milk for me, but I do consume yoghurt and cheese.

Cow milk tastes like dung once you’ve stopped pouring it in your corn flakes.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Have one close relative and one pal both of whom had significant tummy issues and were recommended to go lactose-free. Both instantly stopped having the problems they were suffering.........definitely worth trying.....

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
It may have improved your shitting ability but it hasn't improved your musical taste has it???!!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Prompted by the resurfaced haemorrhoid thread...

OK so I have been suffering for 25 years with a lively bottom.

In 2001, doubling up with stabbing pains to the left lower abdomen, I got a 'clinical diagnosis' of diverticulosis. This means pockets in the lower bowel, causing problems (sudden pain, sudden need to shit) especially in the morning.....

So I changed to a high fibre diet. Pain disappeared.....

But the frequency of morning shits slowly increased over the years. To the point where if the train to work had 'no working toilets' (a super special here on the north Kent railway to Hell) I had to go home instead of work.

Early this year, having reached a preposterous seven shits before ten in the morning, I went back to the doc. Cancer? A camera up the arse said 'no'. It also said my colon was as smooth as a baby's forehead. No diverticulosis. What the actual fark?

An old mate of mine told me 20 years ago that milk was for children. Adults metabolise lactose with bacteria that irritate the bowel. '**** off, you silly tart' I said.

In January I though what the ****. Let's try it. Lovely lactose free semi skimmed at Sainsbury. Jobbies a good un?

Within three days my bowel returned to a motion and productivity I had 40 years ago. I accidentally had a cafe au lait a couple of weeks ago and spent three days on the donought in granny's greenhouse, a situation that reverted after I gave my head (and attention to milk) a wobble.

Trust me, you over 35s. This is life changing. Milk is for children. I would be rude to not share this with you.

HWT

Harry ..whats taken you so long to type a very good post :D

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It seems countless people have dodgy bowels these days. It's quite noticeable at work. I've always put it down to poor modern diet, additives etc.

One colleague of mine can't eat white bread. For me, green salad gives me agonising stomach cramps, but yet I drink milk (often on its own) and have no issues.

I can't do wholemeal....gave in as week and paid for it

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It seems countless people have dodgy bowels these days. It's quite noticeable at work. I've always put it down to poor modern diet, additives etc.

One colleague of mine can't eat white bread. For me, green salad gives me agonising stomach cramps, but yet I drink milk (often on its own) and have no issues.

How old are you? Lactose intolerance generally seems to kick in the older you get. That was my point - it will creep up on you, as it has me, despite my having poo poohed it (see what I did ther? ???). This was a intended as a bit of useful help to the unaware. My advice to you is stay away from green salad. Or you will end up with brown salad, perhaps.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I have my own names. For example No 1 are Maltesers and 6 is "Treasure at the bottom of the sea".

BristolStoolChart.png

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Indeed it's worth sharing, but what if you have milk all the time, and it's not causing you ill effects? You appear to have some lactose intolerance - I don't.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
About 10 years ago i did the same (after giving up many things i guessed might be causing it) never looked back since. I am able to cope with milk in tea but that is all I consume. Cheese and Yoghurt don't seem to have the same effect so my breakfast is very yogurt/soy milk based.

Great post and great advice.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I had a similar problem with Stella and Kronenburg. Switched to Carlsberg or Carling and "Bob's yer Uncle. Fanny's yer Auntie" No more excessive No 2s

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here