Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Next season

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
24 hours hasn’t mellowed me, I still think CH is just as big a problem as the players everyone is now pointing fingers at. We apparently have a Championship squad, I think we also have a Championship manager.

I won’t be at all thrilled if he is still at the helm next season but I am pretty sure that he will be.

Not so sure CH will be about based on current form- going down like a ton of shit as it stands

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We have a mixed squad, some players can hack it, some others lack the basics to be a PL players eg pace.

I was loyal towards CH throughout, until last night. He doesn’t appear to have the Warnick-like fire to inspire any more, even if some of the players are shockingly poor.

I tend to believe the rumours of players being frustrated at the style of football that they are forced to play, that is bound to affect them imo. If we as fans are bored and ground down by it surely it’s even more frustrating for the players. Especially those asked to play out of position and wingers whose brief is defence first and when they do get to break there is absolutely no support there.

This season has been grim.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But when they've played, can you seriously say they've looked threatening.. Bissouma and izzy yest at times, but on the whole they haven't offered us anything we don't already have in the other player's aside from izzy's pace. Kayal has more than matched Bissouma's drive and energy from midfield when he's played and he's much better defensively. Also, I am by no means directly correlating these two events, but it is interesting that after Ali J and co started playing more after the turn of the year, our form has utterly nosedived.

In 2019 in home games particularly, CH has tried to push more bodies forward. Full backs, Propper and Stephens have ventured forward in support of ‘attacks’. We’ve abandoned the deep lying mass Alamo defence that got us results.

So now we’re picked off at will by teams almost as shit as us, an avalanche of goals against.

With our slow and inadequate squad, I preferred the much hated defensive strategy.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
In 2019 in home games particularly, CH has tried to push more bodies forward. Full backs, Propper and Stephens have ventured forward in support of ‘attacks’. We’ve abandoned the deep lying mass Alamo defence that got us results.

So now we’re picked off at will by teams almost as shit as us, an avalanche of goals against.

With our slow and inadequate squad, I preferred the much hated defensive strategy.

The recruitment team are obviously on a totally different wavelength to CH. Recruitment since we've been promoted has actually been pretty poor, with the only real 'bargain' being Pascal Groß. Needs looking at before we go anywhere in the summer, whatever division we're in

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I tend to believe the rumours of players being frustrated at the style of football that they are forced to play, that is bound to affect them imo. If we as fans are bored and ground down by it surely it’s even more frustrating for the players. Especially those asked to play out of position and wingers whose brief is defence first and when they do get to break there is absolutely no support there.

This season has been grim.

Your last sentence, couldn’t agree more.

And those poor buggers (are you one?), who travel to Stamford Bridge, Goodison, Dean Court, KingPower, Craven Cottage, Etihad, to see teams take us apart with ease. Do people go purely for the craic, sharing pints with mates?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Maybe rather than bringing in 4 at around £15m each we look to bring in 2 at £30m each preferably a forward and a provider of chances both with pace so that when we do attack on the break we can score more frequently.

A completely new team may mean we are playing catch up as we start slowly before the team becomes embedded

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Maybe rather than bringing in 4 at around £15m each we look to bring in 2 at £30m each preferably a forward and a provider of chances both with pace so that when we do attack on the break we can score more frequently.

A completely new team may mean we are playing catch up as we start slowly before the team becomes embedded

Definitely. If only Winstanley could be beamed back to April 2017 or May 2018.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

In a position that we need them in not ones we shoehorn in to give them game time out of position.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
You start with the manager first.

Once that’s sorted, either way, then you go at the players.

If we have disruptive players, however important, them first. Rumours on Duffy, fine, get rid. For sure Locadia, he can talk to the Dutch media as much as he wants then.

Then those who are just not up to this level. Maybe 6. There are many. I am clamouring for Kayal to start, he is a fighter, but it indicates how much of a problem we have as he should be a squad player.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
It’s interesting that everyone above is in unison that our squad/team is clearly inadequate.

Until this moment, half the supporter base have blamed CH for all our woes, saying repeatedly that our players are all quality.

The penny’s dropped.

Yep. This

And the recruitment team buy what they can get for the funds supplied to them.
We’re second bottom in funding and unless TB wants to really push the boat out next year, we will be in the same position next.
That’s if we stay up....

Hughton’s tactics may be boring but he is doing the job with his hands tied behind his back. Only Dyche is doing a better job with the funds he has been given.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
It's hard to say without knowing what is wrong in that dressing room at the minute.

Our starting point is that Ryan, Duffy, Dunk, Bernardo, Propper, Gross, Murray have Prem quality.

We also know that Bruno is likely to retire and that Glenn - by dint of age - is likely to be a bench option. That takes a lot of leadership off the park.

We know Burn, Bissouma and Andone have shown glimpses of quality, and we have new signings ACM Alexis McAllister and DCM Tudor Baluta on loan but ready to figure next season.

It also appears that Montoya, Bong, Stephens, Knockaert, March, Locadia, Ali J, Kayal, Balogun aren't quite good enough although with a change of manager 3 or 4 of those could improve.

Duffy ain’t Prem quality and beginning to suspect that nor is Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Clear out and replace the old and infirm.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yep. This

And the recruitment team buy what they can get for the funds supplied to them.
We’re second bottom in funding and unless TB wants to really push the boat out next year, we will be in the same position next.
That’s if we stay up....

Hughton’s tactics may be boring but he is doing the job with his hands tied behind his back. Only Dyche is doing a better job with the funds he has been given.
Only two subs last night that’s not doing your job we needed something should of changed at half time.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
More importantly, if we go down ( I hope we don’t) it will reduce our risk profile and might lead to reinstatement of flasks and bottles with caps.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

This - pretty much anyway. Two huge signings, both midfield in my opinion. The rest of the team would suddenly look a lot better if our midfield was dominant, fast, powerful and creative. The likes of Andone and Locadia will score a percentage of the chances they get - treble their chances, treble their goal-scoring. Similarly the defence would concede far fewer goals if they didn't spend 85 minutes backs-to-the-wall defending, with wave after wave of attacks raining in. Plus we'd have midfielders who chipped in with a few goals!

This idea that some people have or replacing 6 or 7 players is just nonsense; we won't get much for the outgoing players (remember, we'd be trying to offload the ones we don't want, and they won't be the ones who might be much sought after by other clubs) and spreading our budget over 7 new players would be likely to mean that the quality of player that we get in wouldn't be any better than the ones we were replacing!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Thoughts on Aaron Mooy? I think he would be an upgrade in Center mid, no?

As he plays in centre midfield and he’s not really a ball winner is he, we would have to think about whether we can go with Gross at 10 or shore it up a bit by playing a proper 4-5-1...
If we go 4-4-1-1 then we lose a wide man. I do like him though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here