Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 1983 or 1981

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Just to cheer everyone up, I'd like to go back to 1980-81, when we lost 1-0 away to Middlesbrough to leave us needing to win our last four games to stay in the old First Division under Alan Mullery. And we did, seeing off Palace 3-0 away, Leicester 2-1 at home, Sunderland 2-1 away and Leeds 2-0 at home.

Let's hope that this season ends more like that than 1983, which is the parallel everyone has been drawing since we reached the FA Cup semi-final.

Of course, Mullery's team included Steve Foster, Mark Lawrenson, Nobby Horton, Michael Robinson, Gordon Smith, Gerry Ryan, John Gregory and a few other big characters who would stroll into today's team and automatically be the best player, but they had to win four and we might get away with just one. So all is not lost!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Also has parallels with 1981/82 when the players did well enough in the first half of the season for the ultra defensive manager to contemplate a more expansive game, and then relegation form beckoned.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Just to cheer everyone up, I'd like to go back to 1980-81, when we lost 1-0 away to Middlesbrough to leave us needing to win our last four games to stay in the old First Division under Alan Mullery. And we did, seeing off Palace 3-0 away, Leicester 2-1 at home, Sunderland 2-1 away and Leeds 2-0 at home.

Let's hope that this season ends more like that than 1983, which is the parallel everyone has been drawing since we reached the FA Cup semi-final.

Of course, Mullery's team included Steve Foster, Mark Lawrenson, Nobby Horton, Michael Robinson, Gordon Smith, Gerry Ryan, John Gregory and a few other big characters who would stroll into today's team and automatically be the best player, but they had to win four and we might get away with just one. So all is not lost!

Gordon Smith is 64 but I'd still play him ahead of Jahanbaksh

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here