Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Change the wage structure.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If, and it's a big if, we avoid relegation, and want to avoid being in the same position next year then there have to be changes to the transfer and wage policies.

We have to bring in proven talent with experience of playing in the PL or Championship; Ligue1 /Eredivisie to PL is too big a step and it's a bit hit and miss whether the player comes up to scratch; given our experiences with Locardia and AJ, I would suggest they're likely to struggle.

Whenever a decent PL striker, such as Mitrovic, is mentioned they are dismissed with a comment "couldn't afford the wages"; If we are going to continue to pay bottom dollar, we are going to keep getting relegation players.

I know it isn't my money (well, a little bit of it is), but those is control of the purse strings need to think about what's most important, becoming an established PL side or scraping by hoping three other teams are either stingier or more crap than we are.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The problem is my business would be much better placed with an office in The Shard, but it can't afford it so we pay for an office in West Sussex and are building, successfully, but far slower. That said our plan is more likely to succeed and much more sustainable. That's where I feel Brighton are, many clubs have broken pay scales to get success, some have and some haven't but most have had financial troubles of varying degrees!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If, and it's a big if, we avoid relegation, and want to avoid being in the same position next year then there have to be changes to the transfer and wage policies.

We have to bring in proven talent with experience of playing in the PL or Championship; Ligue1 /Eredivisie to PL is too big a step and it's a bit hit and miss whether the player comes up to scratch; given our experiences with Locardia and AJ, I would suggest they're likely to struggle.

Whenever a decent PL striker, such as Mitrovic, is mentioned they are dismissed with a comment "couldn't afford the wages"; If we are going to continue to pay bottom dollar, we are going to keep getting relegation players.

I know it isn't my money (well, a little bit of it is), but those is control of the purse strings need to think about what's most important, becoming an established PL side or scraping by hoping three other teams are either stingier or more crap than we are.

Didn't help Sunderland.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

Mitrovic has just been relegated

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I could be wrong here but when Chelsea were signing the likes of Gullit, Vialli, Zola etc. Weren't most of them free transfers? Obviously wages would have been huge as would signing on fees, but if the total expendature is less than paying £15-20m on a fee plus 40k per week on wages surely its better not to have a wage cap.

You would of course have to make sure that nobody has a clause ensuring they are equal to the highest earner.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
The problem is my business would be much better placed with an office in The Shard, but it can't afford it so we pay for an office in West Sussex and are building, successfully, but far slower. That said our plan is more likely to succeed and much more sustainable. That's where I feel Brighton are, many clubs have broken pay scales to get success, some have and some haven't but most have had financial troubles of varying degrees!

We are already working in The Shard, but not paying the wages that other companies in The Shard are paying :wink:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

You need to do a bit of research. I'll give you a clue, where was Mitrovic playing before being signed by Newcastle?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Wijnaldum got relegated with Newcastle, signed for Liverpool and has recently made his 100th appearance.

There can be good players in shit teams.

Yeah of course.

I'm just saying that if HappyPig wants to cite examples of non-'Relegation Players' then he could do better than one who has been relegated in every full Premier league season he has played in.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Yeah of course.

I'm just saying that if HappyPig wants to cite examples of non-'Relegation Players' then he could do better than one who has been relegated in every full Premier league season he has played in.

Yes, I could have picked a better example but the point still stands; pay peanuts, get donkeys

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
We are already working in The Shard, but not paying the wages that other companies in The Shard are paying :wink:

Any room for 36 desk spaces at West Sussex rates! :wink: :drink:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
We have decent enough players, just not being deployed properly.

That side last night is largely the one that turned over Utd twice.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Yeah of course.

Good point, well made.

Mitrovic will be in the Prem again next season though I think. Won't be with us, whether we scrape survival or not. He'll end up somewhere like Everton or Watford. Or with that lot up the road; they like spunking money on wages.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

Just quoting the OP in an attempt to bring this thread back on track,

You've identified the problem: money. Unless we pay more we're likely to continue to struggle in the top flight. Whether that's a sensible approach I'm not sure. Personally I'd rather we slowly built even if that did mean a few painful seasons between now and becoming an established PL team. It's not my money, I enjoy the ride and I think it's a safer longterm position to hold.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Clearly money does not solve anything , just look at Fulham as an example of that , even West Ham have spent big & in real terms have under achieved in comparison to money spent.

Recruitment has been OK but have the players been recruited the right fit for the formation & tactics.

Brighton could spend big and sign Ronaldo & Salah but it does not solve the underlying issue of not creating quality chances & not keeping clean sheets.

I am not blaming it all on CH but if the players dont fit the system then the system should change to fit the available players & I think CH is very much set in his ways & not learning new tactics & formations very well.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Burnley do alright on a very restrictive player budget - and less billy big bollocks commercial activity too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here