Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There’s trouble at t’mill

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It is quite simply so easy to blame the players, rather than the manager in this situation though. That's the irony of it, when Hughton is criticised people claim his critics lack 'long term vision'; but often forget our team was capable of producing results up until we changed from 4-4-1-1 to 4-3-3 and then stuck to 4-3-3 irrespective of our performances and results.

Players didn't just choose to play 4-3-3....

And vice versa is completely true.

When did we actually switch to 4-3-3, was it after Gross got injured at Leicester?

Gross is the key for us playing 4-4-1-1. We tried March, Jahanbakhsh and Bissouma there and it didn't really work in Gross's long spells of absence this season. We've tried 4-5-1, 4-3-3, 4-4-1-1, different players in different roles. I don't think we haven't experimented or been completely committed to one way of playing. As soon as Gross was available, we were straight back to a 4-4-1-1.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don't think our formation is quite so rigid:
I think we play 4-3-3 in possession and 4-1-4-1 when ball-chasing - it just gets called 4-5-1 [or 4-4-1-1] because that's what our shape ends up looking like most of the time ....

Yes, as I've repeated (and could have saved myself the bother) above.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It’s mid April and we don’t know our best formation or our best line up. What does that tell you ?

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Loc, I don't think there are any over paid, under achieving, can't get in the side players who haven't been with us that long with a sh1t attitude. :wink:

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I thought the title was referencing the Mill Lane park&ride. Strange to feel disappointed it is about someone being disappointed about a player being disappointed. How disappointing

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Yep. That’s why the club effectively touted for a buyer when he left and also why he was carted out of Sheff Utd.

I’ve suspected it’s Duffy for a while now. His ‘winning’ mentality might be less #together and more #bully

Why does everyone ever involved with the Albion, players and staff, say differently about Danny and that he was and is a natural leader? Also, he wasn’t quite good enough for the PL / injury prone at Sheffield Utd which is mainly why he left there. Sorry, completely disagree with you there BT.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
With the recent form being so awful, I'd be surprised if there wasn't some bitching/negativity behind the scenes, I am sure none of the players are happy with the current situation. I would guess that the players (much like NSC) all have their own opinions on what is going wrong and when you get in to a 5 game losing streak with no goals, I'd imagine they are all getting defensive about their own short comings. After all there aren't many in that dressing room now that are confident in their own contribution. Added to that we have a few "hot heads" and we have a recipe for anger and disharmony.

Like someone said earlier, this is part of CH's job to chart to calmer waters, make sure they all know what is expected of them and lead us through to safety

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
It wouldn't surprise me if the players were tired of the current tactics, it looks to me as if the only offensive training we do is corners and free kicks launched into the box.

We seem so bereft of ideas when we do have the ball that we can't wait to give it back to the opposition so we can get on with defending again.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
We can't defend for toffee and Stephens is a crab.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
It wouldn't surprise me if the players were tired if the current tactics, it looks to me as if the only offensive training we do is corners and free kicks launched into the box.

We seem so bereft of ideas when we do have the ball that we can't wait to give it back to the opposition so we can get on with defending again.

You mean the same corner floated to the back post EVERY time?

Teams really don't need to do much preparation before playing us do they.

Teamsheet freely available on NSC couple days prior, every free kick and corner a carbon copy of the previous and just throw a bit of pace on the pitch.

Job done.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
With the recent form being so awful, I'd be surprised if there wasn't some bitching/negativity behind the scenes, I am sure none of the players are happy with the current situation. I would guess that the players (much like NSC) all have their own opinions on what is going wrong and when you get in to a 5 game losing streak with no goals, I'd imagine they are all getting defensive about their own short comings. After all there aren't many in that dressing room now that are confident in their own contribution. Added to that we have a few "hot heads" and we have a recipe for anger and disharmony.

Like someone said earlier, this is part of CH's job to chart to calmer waters, make sure they all know what is expected of them and lead us through to safety

I think this will be happening at most clubs that go through bad patches, but what we witnessed yesterday was almost total capitulation. We looked like a 5 a side team we had so many gaps. Bruno's run into the box was a statement to the redundant forward players - "where the **** are you!". Tactics are up for question, yes, but a team who just seem to have given up is another thing IMO.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
You mean the same corner floated to the back post EVERY time?

Teams really don't need to do much preparation before playing us do they.

Teamsheet freely available on NSC couple days prior, every free kick and corner a carbon copy of the previous and just throw a bit of pace on the pitch.

Job done.
Two defensive midfielders, regardless of the opposition, and even if one is clearly only suited to playing as an attacking midfielder.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I like many others like to watch the warm up just see who looks up for it who's sulking for example Locardia around Christmas, yesterday I was watching Andone hen was messing around with Locardia while four of the other subs were playing keep ball Locardia was in the middle and he lost the ball Andone said somthing and the coach steeped in and Andone apologised and Locardia jogged away he shoved Andone they were all smiles but I did wonder, then during the game Andone was out warming up several times where he appeared to have a lot to say to whoever was also out warming up

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Why does everyone ever involved with the Albion, players and staff, say differently about Danny and that he was and is a natural leader? Also, he wasn’t quite good enough for the PL / injury prone at Sheffield Utd which is mainly why he left there. Sorry, completely disagree with you there BT.

No worries you’re allowed to.

My understanding was that when he left he’d been incredibly vocal in the dressing room about team selection and individuals within the team.

Doesn’t make him any less of a legend to me overall but you can see why the manager would need it to be him or me situation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here