Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lee Johnson - Bristol City manager

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Would Lee Johnson be prepared to manage a Brighton team playing in the Championship though? Next season could conceivably see his current team in the Premier League.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
He's hardly working miracles is he, they were in a dogfight in the Championship when we went up.

Lansdown has been pumping serious money into that club for years.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Steve Lansdown has invested heavily into Bristol City. He has stuck by Johnson and it looks like they may be in the play offs this season but it’s taken a long time to achieve. Overly slow and steady progress. A more experienced manager might have achieved more with Lansdown’s support in a shorter timeframe.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
No manager with any chance of promotion is going to come here for 5 games to potentially end up in a division their old club may get out of.
If we stayed up then we would have a much better chance of getting thee person we want
If picking out the championship I’d gamble on Wilder whose some a lot in 2 years at Sheffield United
But there are some outstanding young managers on the continent
Ivan Leko at Brugge (look beyond the anti corruption interview) tactically outstanding plays great football but recognises short comings early never afraid to make a change early door for the benefit of the team
Borles at Getefe they play great high pressing football
Marcelo Gallardo Another who will eventually be at a top top club on the continent but could be tempted

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Johnson has done a great job with Bristol City but hasn't achieved anything yet. If we had to replace Hughton I'd be looking at managers like Bilic first - so much experience and still only 50 years old.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The young manager I've mentioned has got an extremely bright future ahead of him. He's taken Bristol City from an average to very probable play-off side in just over three years, managing 168 times for the west country team.

I've got a neighbour who supports Bristol City, who said it's only a matter of time before a Premier League or VERY ambitious Championship side takes him away to promising new pastures. The one thing that I always listen for is how he's tactically and motivationally up there with the very best. Bristol is a huge catchment area - he's bringing through youngsters and his man-management is A1.

He'd be a breath of fresh air. Please, Tony Bloom. Whatever happens now, I'd love this guy to manage Brighton and Hove Albion next season. If we don't get him, another ambitious side will.

The same Lee Johnson that B.City fans have wanted out for a number of times.

Have heard about this guy from 2 season ticket holders at Ashton Gate and he isn't someone I'd like us to employ at all !

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Seems like people on this thread are scared of a manager who isn't afraid to show a bit of passion and to throw a few tea cups around when he loses.
Lucky a few of you weren't around when we had Mullery around because that's exactly what he was like.

I would love someone like that instead of someone who praises the opposition everytime we get beat.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The same Lee Johnson that B.City fans have wanted out for a number of times.

Have heard about this guy from 2 season ticket holders at Ashton Gate and he isn't someone I'd like us to employ at all !

It's a huge city that should have Premier League football. Both Bristol clubs have fans that feel their side should be doing much better. At times they've both gone through a lot of managers. It's no coincidence that by sticking with their current ones it has/might bear good fruit. City could be playing us next season - if we stay up - and Darrell Clarke at Rovers got them back-to-back promotions before Graham Coughlan replaced him and they're still not safe. Bristol is a very expectant but passionate city of football when I've been to both grounds.

Possibly one point off Aston Villa - not bad for a club that won the European Cup and regularly get 38,000 watching them. The Championship standard of quality gets higher every season.

Edit: Graham Coughlan current Bristol Rovers manager.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
City are potentially a much bigger club than us. Can’t see him leaving them for us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here