Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lee Johnson - Bristol City manager

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The young manager I've mentioned has got an extremely bright future ahead of him. He's taken Bristol City from an average to very probable play-off side in just over three years, managing 168 times for the west country team.

I've got a neighbour who supports Bristol City, who said it's only a matter of time before a Premier League or VERY ambitious Championship side takes him away to promising new pastures. The one thing that I always listen for is how he's tactically and motivationally up there with the very best. Bristol is a huge catchment area - he's bringing through youngsters and his man-management is A1.

He'd be a breath of fresh air. Please, Tony Bloom. Whatever happens now, I'd love this guy to manage Brighton and Hove Albion next season. If we don't get him, another ambitious side will.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Even assuming Bristol City let us speak to him, Johnson strikes me as another nice guy who doesn't have an air of the disciplinarian about him - and that is what we need at the moment more than anything else. All we'd be doing is swapping Chris Hughton for Chris Hughton-lite. Let's face it, the only real difference is that our manager has actually done it all before.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I agree, Simster.

He is a nice guy who gets the full respect from all his players but he's attacking and none of this dour, defensive dross. It wouldn't be cheap getting him but I honestly think we'd reap the rewards.

It always ends in tears with any side Chris Hughton manages.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Great manager and even though they went through a real dodgy spell the club stuck with him.
There recruitment team is excellent and they find a lot of decent players from lower leagues and aren't afraid to play them from the off.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Great manager and even though they went through a real dodgy spell the club stuck with him.
There recruitment team is excellent and they find a lot of decent players from lower leagues and aren't afraid to play them from the off.
Did he have four years of almost unbroken success before that dodgy spell that presumably caused 80% of their fan base to want him out?

Asking for a friend.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick

Oh no that won't do at all - we have to put players in the reserve team, browbeat any spark out of them and then sell them for a loss cos that appears to be the Brighton way !

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green

6th in a really hard league higher than a lot of bigger clubs has done a fantastic job . Gets my vote British as well no foreign crap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Bristol City also reached the fifth round of the FA Cup, beating Huddersfield on the way before Wolves were rather fortunate to win 1-0 at Ashton Gate on BT Sports. He could have binned that off and concentrated on the league but showed the FA Cup the respect it fully deserves.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
If people don't like the calm and steady approach of Hughton in their manager and want a tea cup thrower, Lee Johnson is not your man.

So how does Eddie Howe do an incredible job at Bournemouth every season? ???

He looks the type more likely to cry than rant and rave at his players.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
He might have been interested back in Feb but would he be now in our position?

I’d have him here in a shot but don’t think it’s club policy to poach managers sadly

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Wagner for me. If he can get Huddersfield promoted on one of the most conservative budgets in the Championship, he can get this lot organised again.

A1X

Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Wagner for me. If he can get Huddersfield promoted on one of the most conservative budgets in the Championship, he can get this lot organised again.

Wagner is the only obvious answer, not in a job but with a proven track record of taking an unfancied squad all the way. Plus it keeps him away from any rivals given he always smashed us when we played his teams.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Wagner is the only obvious answer, not in a job but with a proven track record of taking an unfancied squad all the way. Plus it keeps him away from any rivals given he always smashed us when we played his teams.

Most importantly, his wife is bang tidy.

Camp Freddy

Sep 23, 2004
Wiltshire
Just saying if people want some broken china with their manager, Lee Johnson is not who you want. I see him a lot on local TV and if he hurts after a defeat, he doesn't articulate it. I think I would find that a bit frustrating. I would take a calm level headed Howe over a histrionic toy hurler like Poyet every day given a choice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here