Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] To top it off.......

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
How do countries that have a lot of cyclists - like Holland or Denmark - deal with bike thefts? Does it not happen there? Does everyone ride bog-standard cheap bikes?

It's the main thing that puts me off cycling. I used to like using my bike to get to places, but was fed up with the need to double lock everything in a public place so I had any chance of getting the bike back again.

Have you been to Amsterdam ? Google some images of the outside of Amsterdam station if you haven't. And that's just an example of the carnage of bikes in the city !!!! I don't think anyone there need worry about their bike being nicked. I read somewhere that there is three times as many bikes in Amsterdam than people.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Have you been to Amsterdam ? Google some images of the outside of Amsterdam station if you haven't. And that's just an example of the carnage of bikes in the city !!!! I don't think anyone there need worry about their bike being nicked. I read somewhere that there is three times as many bikes in Amsterdam than people.
So is it just volume of bikes that provides safety there? I wonder what it's like My experience in the UK is that anyone who has a more expensive bike (say £500+) is just going to get it nicked if they leave it locked up virtually anywhere, but maybe I'm just paranoid. And electric bikes more so.

I guess crime does take place in the same way: http://www.holland-cycling.com/tips-and-info/safety/bicycle-theft. Maybe buildings for bike storage are the the answer in towns.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Been on the phone to the insurance company this morning.

I asked the wife to put it on the insurance when I got it new last year. Because its registered as a speciality item the excess is £350!!!!!

We've got baby no 2 due in July and have been frantically saving to cover her drop in maternity pay. I just dont have 350 quid laying about. The bike was "only" £600.

I got it on cycle to work scheme last July so I still haven't finished paying for it yet.

****ing **** who stole it better ****ing die a slow miserable death and burn in hell. But the truth of it is that they'll just sell it and carry on as normal.

Sometimes the Police will have a couple of Bikes that they have recovered, or have been handed in because they were dumped somewhere that they may gift you if they have had them long enough. Alternatively they might let you know which auction they are putting them in and you can get one a bit cheaper.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I have been tempted in the last to wire my Scooter up to the mains over night . . . . having lost one forever I had a Lambretta stolen a few times, always found it close by as kids have no idea what tjhey're sdoing with them . . . . . 23 years later I still have it, in the hallway at home!!!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Got back to Burgess Hill train station last night already in a bad mood to find my mountain bike had been stolen from the cycle racks.

It was padlocked and under station CCTV.

This was my work transport and my means of trying to keep fit.

Gutted beyond words really. It's been reported to British Transport Police and it is insured but that's not the point.

I work ****ing hard for things and some thieving **** thinks they can just take it.

I've got a lot on my plate right now and this is the last ****ing thing I need.

Sorry to hear G.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Sounds about right. I've never been down a street in Amsterdam without seeing a large pile of bikes just parked there doing nothing. It's mad for unused bikes. And they really are unused, flat tyres, rusting metal work. Bike morgue of Europe. If someone did own one of them, they'd have no clue which one was their's.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Got back to Burgess Hill train station last night already in a bad mood to find my mountain bike had been stolen from the cycle racks.

It was padlocked and under station CCTV.

This was my work transport and my means of trying to keep fit.

Gutted beyond words really. It's been reported to British Transport Police and it is insured but that's not the point.

I work ****ing hard for things and some thieving **** thinks they can just take it.

I've got a lot on my plate right now and this is the last ****ing thing I need.

I don't want this understood incorrectly. This is a terrible thing and everything must be done to find the criminals involved in this crime and they should be punished severely.

OTOH, if there is nothing you can do you must see that you are lucky it didn't cost you more such as your life. Be greatful and get past this and don't let it drag you down to lower levels. You will come to the realization that you are the one who truly controls your destiny and your future love of life. Get on with loving life and turn a negative into a positive. If anything have a drink night, being safe, and forget about the whole incident for one night.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Well, I'm just back from a ban for "serious abuse". Dont know if the other nobhead got an infraction as well for deliberate trolling.

Thanks for the positive vibes. Had a few days to mull it over and accept it. I'm undecided what to do right now.

I have to chase the BTP up as they still havent got back to me with a crime number and I don't have £350 for the insurance excess.

And I also stand my original comment to Pork Pie. You are.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
[MENTION=20792]spongy[/MENTION] if the bike is on a cycle to work scheme then, legally, the company you work for own the bike until you have finished the payments AND made a nominal extra payment to purchase the bike from them. Therefore it may be worth asking if their insurance covers the loss.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here