Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dale Stephens. Discuss...

Jan 6, 2015
I’m one of Stephens fans, but obviously no denying last night he had a bad game. Yes he’s a limited player but it’s like some people are so fixated on the notion that he ‘passes backwards’ they fail to see why, and also that’s his job in the team. He seriously can’t win whatever he does and feel its going to go the same way as Ashley Barnes went and driven out the club

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I feel for him. He's being forced into playing a game that isn't natural to him. The crowd is on his back for giving it simple, but that is his role in the team. He isn't there to drive us forward, making incisive passes, he's there to give it to the players that can, only they aren't either. Much of the crowd can take some responsibility for how he played last night. Moaning and groaning, even booing has never helped a player EVER.

I agree. I presume the issue is not so much that he was shit last night, but that he is deemed un-droppable. But the fact is, he has no competition. Kayal is far more of a punchy, box-to-box midfielder. Stephens' job is to win the ball and give it to our midfielders who should attack from deep. In my view, that is where we are lacking. He does give it, but we have no idea going forward.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Oh and it was high time Davy Propper was given a pasting on here. He has been missing for weeks now. He is far more culpable than Dale Stephens for what is going on.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m one of Stephens fans, but obviously no denying last night he had a bad game. Yes he’s a limited player but it’s like some people are so fixated on the notion that he ‘passes backwards’ they fail to see why, and also that’s his job in the team. He seriously can’t win whatever he does and feel its going to go the same way as Ashley Barnes went and driven out the club

Same here.

A shocking game last night, but normally he’s sound in his role, although some other crap games this year.

If he moves onto Burnley this summer, he’ll be fine with them in the PL. He’ll have good creative PL midfielders in front and beside him such as McNeil and Westwood.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Oh and it was high time Davy Propper was given a pasting on here. He has been missing for weeks now. He is far more culpable than Dale Stephens for what is going on.

It turned on Propper's indecision. He had it in a good spot edge of their box, had time for a shot, flick a pass out wide, sling it into the box. He dithered, did nothing, turned, lost the ball. We conceded 5 seconds later. We were on top at that point.

Last edited:

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
The Stephens and Kayal partnership worked very well in the Championship
Unfortunately Kayal broke his leg in the next pre season against Atletico which allowed Pröpper an "in" - I'm convinced that he would not have had that chance had Kayal remained fit.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
He the sort of player that should come on last 10 to 15minutes of a game if we’re 1-0. God if only we were in a game 1-0 up. We can dream.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It turned on his indecision. He had it in a good spot edge of their box, had time for a shot, flick a pass out wide, sling it into the box. He dithered, did nothing, turned, lost the ball. We conceded 5 seconds later. We were on top at that point.

Football analysts such as Neville wouldn’t attribute the goal to DS, attacks break down. Instead they would look at the collective errors that then led to the goal 15 seconds later.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He the sort of player that should come on last 10 to 15minutes of a game if we’re 1-0. God if only we were in a game 1-0 up. We can dream.

What is this 1-0 you speak of?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
All the CMs have looked poor recently.

Yes, Stephens is ponderous and produced mistakes. He’s slow at making a decision when passing forward, but this isn’t down to just him. The team is set up with just an isolated Murray up front and out of form wingers either side. There is no movement. What is he supposed to do? He passes sideways to retain possession and everyone moans. He attempts to pass to the static spuds up field but the opposition can easily defend that.

Bissouma has the ability to produce something special. But have we seen this enough? No. Does he lose possession as much as Stephens in terms of loose passing and wild shots? Yes. He fails to track back too and leaves gaps in midfield, exposing the CBs. He is not a regular starter for me, yet.

Propper is our best midfielder, but horribly out of form. He’s not a fighter. Scared to tackle, reluctant to take it to the opposition and is awful at heading the ball. His form has made Stephens job harder. He had his worse game in an Albion shirt yesterday.

Kayal is a fighter. He never stops trying and will do his absolute best. Issue is, he’s not that good I’m afraid. It is time to start him though as everyone ahead of him have failed on too many occasions. He won’t shy away from challenging for the ball like Propper and will run into space unlike Stephens. He works well with Stephens as he drops back when he pushes into space. I won’t trust the other CMs to do that.

Groß can play CM. He can switch play and find teammates consistently with passes. Issue is, his best position is higher up the pitch without being shackled with protecting the defence. He isn’t quick and isn’t great in the air.

Pick your CM poison. They’re all out of form or not good enough for consistent Premier League performances. I’m adamant that if ANY of our CMs play the deeper CM position Dale Stephens plays, they’d actually do an inferior job.

Agree with every word. Top post - some of our more "x is shit, why isn't y playing" posters could do with reading this.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Maybe Dale keeps his place in the team because every time Hughton challenges him about why he keeps giving the ball away he explains that he just doesn't know what giving the ball away means and his misplaced passes are purely coincidental?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Yes, we've all had a pop at him for his crab-like tendencies but I genuinely fail to see why Chris Hughton's values him so much that he seems undroppable.

Last night took the cookie and in a cavalcade of crap, he stood out as the stinkiest of all.

I simply can't watch him play any more.

It's not good for my mental health.

No we haven't all had a pop at him. The narrative is that he always passes sideways or backwards regardless of the stats that say otherwise. The noisy minority amongst some of our fans are so ready to groan audibly if he doesn't pass forwards that they don't even notice the lack of movement in front of him to allow him to play forwards every time. My seat buddy next door last night was a prime candidate even as Ali J was holding his hand up to apologise on more than one occasion. These are probably the same 'fans' who drove out Ashley Barnes who will again be playing in the Premier League next season, but I suspect Dale understands that his role is not generally fully understood. He would be one of the first names on my team sheet.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Is Stephens and inherently bad player? No he isn't. Is he currently playing utterly sh*tehouse, Yes he is. by far and away my non-MoM last night. He cannot stop losing possession in utterly crucial areas. He no longer looks after the ball, I hate slagging players off but really Kayal has to start ahead of him Saturday.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
No we haven't all had a pop at him. The narrative is that he always passes sideways or backwards regardless of the stats that say otherwise. The noisy minority amongst some of our fans are so ready to groan audibly if he doesn't pass forwards that they don't even notice the lack of movement in front of him to allow him to play forwards every time. My seat buddy next door last night was a prime candidate even as Ali J was holding his hand up to apologise on more than one occasion. These are probably the same 'fans' who drove out Ashley Barnes who will again be playing in the Premier League next season, but I suspect Dale understands that his role is not generally fully understood. He would be one of the first names on my team sheet.

Indeed.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton

Getting the argument about who we would replace him with but it's clearly not working at the moment and we can't keep giving him and Propper chances, not in the current predicament. Seriously, how much worse does it have to get? And why wouldn't you change things given how insipid it's been of late? It's not like time is on our side, is it?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
DS like several of our players, were considered marginal by me and others when we got promoted . . . could they step up to PL quality . . .last season was clearly a purple patch.

Jan 6, 2015
The people saying put kayal in for him....they are two different players and personally think they compliment each other rather than a like for like swap. Dale sits allowing Kayal to effectively do his running and pressing, and well I would say Put propper in the number 10 role to create but Yet to really see what he’s done in 2 seasons

Jan 6, 2015
Also watching the U23s Molumby plays in exactly the same role as Stephens and looked very good each time I’ve seen him, he also tweeted at the weekend saying he doesn’t understand why people can’t see how important Stephens is to the team

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here