For many matches now our midfield has been woeful
And yet Kayal has been bench warming or not even got that far - Wembley
When he plays he always looks forward and busts a gut
So why not starting?

Am I missing something?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
His pass completion is 70% compared to 80% from Stephens. Covers around 4 km less per game than stephens (not sure if that is a per 90 min number).

Not sure? Must be worth a go simply to keep the others fresh...

good stats. id like to know what proportion of Stephen's passes are to Dunk and km ran in own half.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I have no idea why he isn’t playing, hope he does from now. Not hard to find a person to drop - for me it would be Propper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
His pass completion is 70% compared to 80% from Stephens. Covers around 4 km less per game than stephens (not sure if that is a per 90 min number).

Stephen's isn't 80% any more, unless ball boys count as players.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I have no idea why he isn’t playing, hope he does from now. Not hard to find a person to drop - for me it would be Propper

His fault for the goal really, he had it on the edge of their box with loads in support, could have got a shot off, passed it, flicked it into the box, instead he didn’t make a decision, faffed about, lost it, and they broke. He’s no no.10 at this level. His form perhaps has collapsed more alarmingly than anyone else’s.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Another call here for Kayal to be given a chance. He's committed and would run through the proverbial brick wall for the team - a work ethic that some of the others should perhaps take a look at.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Stephens - "Doesn't matter how many times I pass to the opposition or lose possession, Chris will still pick me and a lot of brain dead fans will sing about how I never give the ball away".

Aye-eee-aye..........oh shut up.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Stephens - "Doesn't matter how many times I pass to the opposition or lose possession, Chris will still pick me and a lot of brain dead fans will sing about how I never give the ball away".

Aye-eee-aye..........oh shut up.

I think you'll find the lyrics to that song get changed frequently depending on his form. Never/always/Seldom if I;m hearing it right.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I’m always wary of falling into the trap of thinking that a player who’s not involved will miraculously transform our fortunes. I also think Kayal was probably a shade below Propper and Stephens when they were on song.

But certainly have to agree that in games like last night’s, in the situation we’re in, his desire and drive seemed perfect for the situation. It would be a real puzzle if he doesn’t get a chance against Wolves.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean

Don’t know where these stats come from but Stephens’ passing stats will always be inflated by the number of short backwards passes he makes. Both him and Propper were shocking last night and if Kayal doesn’t start on Saturday then it will show how much Hughton has run out of ideas !

Personally I would drop both Stephens and Propper and start Kayal and Bissouma on Saturday.

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
As much as I'd like to see him start unfortunately Kayal is not our savior.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Kayal should have got some game time over the last few weeks absolutely.

Stephens Propper and Bissouma have been flogged to death the last couple of months and are now all low on confidence.

Yes all 3 are probably stronger players on there day, but that has not been the case for some time

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
His pass completion is 70% compared to 80% from Stephens.
I think that's a poor stat to compare, because Kayal is often further forward, attempting more passes that are likely to split a defence, and also more likely to be intercepted.

Over the last 4 or more of seasons Stephens has been great. He was in terrible form when we started yesterday, he made loads of mistakes, and I'd think it's worth bringing Kayal in to replace him for a game or two. But Chris likes to show loyalty to his players - this can help make players feel under less pressure, as they know they're not going to get blamed and dropped when they accidentally make a mistake.

Note this is quite different to if they're not putting in the effort, they'd be dropped for that.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Don’t know where these stats come from but Stephens’ passing stats will always be inflated by the number of short backwards passes he makes. Both him and Propper were shocking last night and if Kayal doesn’t start on Saturday then it will show how much Hughton has run out of ideas !
I'd also like to see Kayal start, but if he doesn't it won't be because Chris has run out of ideas - it's not exactly a eureka moment to come up with the plan of playing Kayal, is it. If he doesn't play him, it's either because he's not happy with Kayal (things he's saying off the pitch, or his training etc), or because he trusts the others to come good and perform better than Kayal can.

We'll see.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Personally I would drop both Stephens and Propper and start Kayal and Bissouma on Saturday.

I think if Kayal's in there, we certainly don't need to drop Stephens. The balance is good with both in the team. Kayal and Bissouma together - not for me. Will be interesting to see what happens.

borat

Jul 16, 2003
We are simply too slow with both Stephens and Propper in the middle. Kayal may arguably not be as a good a passer as either but we need some of his desire, grit and energy to lift the team as a whole. Someone who will inspire others to do the same.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
For many matches now our midfield has been woeful
And yet Kayal has been bench warming or not even got that far - Wembley
When he plays he always looks forward and busts a gut
So why not starting?

Am I missing something?

Not at all. If l was Beram l would most certainly being banging on the gaffer's door this morning demanding to know where l stand. With our current midfield not even turning up for the last few games surely he is worth a try?

As you say he is always totally committed to the cause, which is something the current incumbents don't seem to be.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There was an argument for starting Kayal yesterday purely on the aspect of fatigure. Stephens and Propper were off the pace from the first whistle and dire once we went behind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here