Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The first sign that we were in big trouble

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hardly. Conceding 4 to Fulham was a bigger clue but we’ve been poor most of the season. Chickens have come home to roost now though.

A1X

Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Fulham was the big flashing neon sign pointing the way to disaster. But IMHO the first glimmer of a problem was the two goals against West Ham.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
The second half capitulation at Fulham was the first sign and probable turning point. Yes letting a two goal lead slip at West Ham was bad, but West Ham are not a bad side.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Someone text the radio to say the 3 wins in November were so bad, that was when the writing was on the wall.

I'd forgotten all about them, but once mentioned I did instantly remember a fair few posters, at the time, saying 'hang on a minute'.

(I'm pretty sure I had my fingers in my ears while singing 'everything is awesome'.)

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Yup conceding 4 in 45 mins against Fulham was the alarm bell for me.

Binney on acid

Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Drawing 1:1 at Villa Park, after we had attempted to defend a one nil lead against ten men, and winning the championship for Newcastle. That is when he should have resigned.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Signs have been there all year. We did what we did last year for the 1st half of the season. We competed and hate to say it brought teams down to our level and won points we didn’t deserve. This papered over the cracks till Xmas and we didn’t recruit when we should have done in the winter. Now we have been found out and found wanting.
Poor recruitment this summer when it came to spending the big money has cost us as well

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
I'd say the warning signs have been there for most of the season. The home games against Palace and Manchester United were anomalies that lured us into a false sense of security. That purple patch where we were winning games 1-0 were products of good fortune, rather than being a reflection of a team playing well. We were incredibly efficient in converting the very few chances made in those games, rather than peppering the opposition goal with chances fostered from creative play.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Outplayed by West ham early in season but got a 1 nil win and again at Newcastle

Having the tenacity to win those 3 games in a row 1-0 even though we weren’t the best team is actually a good sign of team spirit and organisation. Conceding a relatively late 2 goal lead against West Ham and then 4 in the second half against Fulham 3 weeks later was the warning sign for me.

Albion100

Jan 4, 2013
Patcham
We have been very poor all.year
Got away with it in a few games early on but didn't deserve to win them. Writings been on the wall as soon as we saw the new signing was awful and we were playing the same team as last season.

When we didn’t sell Stephens to Burnley, making him an undroppable player we defended in the market, was the beginning of the end for me. Everything bad, the complacency, the negativity, the lack of technique, the lack of even an average passing game, flows from this one deficient player.

And even now he’s nailed on to play every game still to come this season. Just drains all hope

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Fulham was the big flashing neon sign pointing the way to disaster. But IMHO the first glimmer of a problem was the two goals against West Ham.

yep. we had a good run at end of December that gave us too much breathing space, pressure and focus was off. otherwise getting smashed like that at Fulham would have been a bigger concern.

that said, we say this as fans getting wrapped up on the week by week, the management must have recognised that at the time. right?

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I’m not desperate to stay in the Premier League although I assume TB will be. The fun was the journey to get there. On promotion I said that this is as good as it gets. I stand by that and didn’t expect any more than what have had.
As a footballer you want to play at the highest level you can attain. It’s the same for a club of course.
We are upper Championship/lower Premier league club. Probably a candidate for a Yoyo club. Is that so bad? At least you have excitement every season!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here