Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results...

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I respect Hughton for the job he has done and thank him for his time as Brighton manager.

But anyone with an ounce of common sense could see what was coming tonight. The system was changed to accommodate Gross and to go back to the 4-4-1-1 that was relatively successful last season, but if the tactics are to pass the ball around the back four and lose any momentum when we have counter attacking opportunities, the same things is going to keep on happening. We need to have some clear attacking ideas, and it was clear the players had absolutely no cohesion or clue what to do in an attacking sense tonight. Even the corners, nearly every single ****ing corner was overhit to the back post, ffs try something different, surprise them.

Our one dimensional tactics and our complacency since Christmas mean we deserve to go down, and it's therefore time for someone new to take the helm and perhaps bring some attacking football to the Amex. If and when our relegation is confirmed I'd like us to go for Jokanovic.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If IF he rewatches the game Mr Hughton will be shocked to see the only 2 positive attacking plays came from a Murray flick on to Andone.

If only someone had said that might just work.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I respect Hughton for the job he has done and thank him for his time as Brighton manager.

But anyone with an ounce of common sense could see what was coming tonight. The system was changed to accommodate Gross and to go back to the 4-4-1-1 that was relatively successful last season, but if the tactics are to pass the ball around the back four and lose any momentum when we have counter attacking opportunities, the same things is going to keep on happening. We need to have some clear attacking ideas, and it was clear the players had absolutely no cohesion or clue what to do in an attacking sense tonight. Even the corners, nearly every single ****ing corner was overhit to the back post, ffs try something different, surprise them.

Our one dimensional tactics and our complacency since Christmas mean we deserve to go down, and it's therefore time for someone new to take the helm and perhaps bring some attacking football to the Amex. If and when our relegation is confirmed I'd like us to go for Jokanovic.
Agree with all of that apart from the man to take over long term.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
No doubt some will call the original post a knee jerk reaction. But our knees have taken a battering since January and if your knee is not jerking I suggest you are the one with the problem.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's pretty clear that CH's philosophy is all about not conceding, and hoping for the best when it comes to goalscoring. Someone needs to tell him that attack is the best form of defence.

A couple of snippets from his post match interview today:

"If we're not able to score the goals we need to score to have that breakthrough to open up the game a little bit more, now we've got to make sure we're not conceding..."

"It's making sure you put enough into a game that says if we're not scoring, that we got to make sure we're not conceding"

I disagree. We committed players forward today, first break they have we concede. Same as Bournemoth’s first. Our defending has been woeful, yeah we’re not scoring goals, but Dunk & Duffy’s form in particular has fallen through the floor.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Agree with all of that apart from the man to take over long term.

Fair enough, who would you go for? Just think we need someone to rebuild and play a different style of football to get the fans back on side. Wagner would be an option too imo although he is rather unlikeable.

Hamilton

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
We are so slow turning defence into attack.

Slow slow slow.

Slower than a sloth on a go slow day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drummerboy10

Apr 18, 2012
I disagree. We committed players forward today, first break they have we concede. Same as Bournemoth’s first. Our defending has been woeful, yeah we’re not scoring goals, but Dunk & Duffy’s form in particular has fallen through the floor.

Because we lost the ball in attack? Which happened with Bournemouth also.
Dunk and Duffy have still been pretty consistent all year but when they’re put under the amount of pressure as they are in each game, they will concede.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It's pretty clear that CH's philosophy is all about not conceding, and hoping for the best when it comes to goalscoring. Someone needs to tell him that attack is the best form of defence.

Nonsense. We set off on the front foot last night and got caught with a counter-attack. Defending would have been the best form of defence! Especially in a game where a draw would have left us in a healthy position.

The trouble is, the message has become scrambled. I think Hughton is cautious and conservative - but that’s not quite the same as unremittingly negative. With relatively strong attacking players, he sets up attacking teams as he’s shown with us and Newcastle in the Championship. I’d say the moment it all started to unravel was actually when he tried to move us on from 18 months of pragmatic survival orientated football (presumably in the belief the new signings could make the difference - or feeling the pressure to prove that).

Now we’re caught in a vicious circle that’s led to even the reliable core of the team losing all confidence. Mentally, perhaps, they weren’t prepared for a relegation battle having been a long way clear at one stage whereas Cardiff are full of beans, knowing they’ve already far exceeded expectations. Our players need to get their heads round the fact that this is all too real now - while simultaneously trying to play with a free mind and achieve their optimum level. Not easy.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Nonsense. We set off on the front foot last night and got caught with a counter-attack. Defending would have been the best form of defence! Especially in a game where a draw would have left us in a healthy position.

The trouble is, the message has become scrambled. I think Hughton is cautious and conservative - but that’s not quite the same as unremittingly negative. With relatively strong attacking players, he sets up attacking teams as he’s shown with us and Newcastle in the Championship. I’d say the moment it all started to unravel was actually when he tried to move us on from 18 months of pragmatic survival orientated football (presumably in the belief the new signings could make the difference - or feeling the pressure to prove that).

Now we’re caught in a vicious circle that’s led to even the reliable core of the team losing all confidence. Mentally, perhaps, they weren’t prepared for a relegation battle having been a long way clear at one stage whereas Cardiff are full of beans, knowing they’ve already far exceeded expectations. Our players need to get their heads round the fact that this is all too real now - while simultaneously trying to play with a free mind and achieve their optimum level. Not easy.
Not easy? Impossible.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If IF he rewatches the game Mr Hughton will be shocked to see the only 2 positive attacking plays came from a Murray flick on to Andone.

Agreed. The two split seconds out of 90 minutes that we looked like we might get something, were from old fashioned two up top link up play.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Because we lost the ball in attack? Which happened with Bournemouth also.
Dunk and Duffy have still been pretty consistent all year but when they’re put under the amount of pressure as they are in each game, they will concede.

'Amount of pressure' - really? Last night Cardiff hung back as much as any team this season. First real chance they have, watch the replay, Duffy and Dunk are so deep, they're almost on the penalty spot, Stephens not much better to be fair. The 2nd goal is schoolboy error from Dunk getting under the ball. That shouldn't happening from a set piece. Other than that, I don't recall them having a huge amount to do, other than when we had to go all out in the 2nd half.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Agreed. The two split seconds out of 90 minutes that we looked like we might get something, were from old fashioned two up top link up play.

Did you not think we started well? I thought that was the best first 15 / 20mins we've played at home in 2019. Thought we were positive, got players in support, Bruno was linking up and getting crosses in. Despite us still playing some bad passes and taking wrong decisions, I felt pretty good in that first period in the game. Gross was conducting things like we know he can, some of his touches and flicks were sublime.

The sucker punch game when we overreached and Propper did what you can never do as a centre midfielder with most of your team in front of you at the edge of the opposition box - lose the ball. We went from a great position of getting a shot off, or ball into the box to conceding a goal 5 seconds later. I keep hearing people say Propper can play as a no.10, the reality is he did it twice or so for Holland, it's not happened again, and I haven't seen anything of Propper to suggest he can play that role.

I stand by that we started well, tactics were working, and we looked threatening. Our confidence is so fragile though, that conceding the goal killed us. Watching the defending again, and I'm convinced that is where our problems lie. Dunk and Duffy have stopped being brave, they're happy to stand off, even though they broke, we could and should have dealt with the threat. The 2nd goal is just a joke to concede, an England capped centre half getting under the ball, it was basic.

Andone coming on looked threatening, but like I said above, I thought all our good play first 20mins came from Gross getting the ball into key areas. Not sure where the sacrifice would come from to play 2 up top, because Propper - Stephens isn't good enough to provide for that, not sure Kayal is either. Bournemouth paid £25m to get in a midfielder to do that for them.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Did you not think we started well? I thought that was the best first 15 / 20mins we've played at home in 2019. Thought we were positive, got players in support, Bruno was linking up and getting crosses in. Despite us still playing some bad passes and taking wrong decisions, I felt pretty good in that first period in the game. Gross was conducting things like we know he can, some of his touches and flicks were sublime.

The sucker punch game when we overreached and Propper did what you can never do as a centre midfielder with most of your team in front of you at the edge of the opposition box - lose the ball. We went from a great position of getting a shot off, or ball into the box to conceding a goal 5 seconds later. I keep hearing people say Propper can play as a no.10, the reality is he did it twice or so for Holland, it's not happened again, and I haven't seen anything of Propper to suggest he can play that role.

I stand by that we started well, tactics were working, and we looked threatening. Our confidence is so fragile though, that conceding the goal killed us. Watching the defending again, and I'm convinced that is where our problems lie. Dunk and Duffy have stopped being brave, they're happy to stand off, even though they broke, we could and should have dealt with the threat. The 2nd goal is just a joke to concede, an England capped centre half getting under the ball, it was basic.

Andone coming on looked threatening, but like I said above, I thought all our good play first 20mins came from Gross getting the ball into key areas. Not sure where the sacrifice would come from to play 2 up top, because Propper - Stephens isn't good enough to provide for that, not sure Kayal is either. Bournemouth paid £25m to get in a midfielder to do that for them.

How would Cardiff have faired if you were in goal?

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I would have managed to scoop at least one of those off target shots into my own net. I can tell you that much. :lolol:

Ohhhh la de da something thinks he can play for Millwall. :lolol:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I thought we started well up until we got anywhere near the box, where we still looked fairly devoid of ideas - how many clear cut chances did we create in that first 20?

I saw nice flicks and touches from the likes of Bruno and even the dreadful Alireza for the full 90 mins. We no doubt were the more skilled side of the two, but it counted for nothing when we attacked with so little urgency that every pass was so easily telegraphed/cut out.

In terms of actually getting in on goal I felt it only looked likely once Murray and Andone were together.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here