Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mental Strength

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
In all my years following this club, I am struggling to recall three more utterly abject consecutive performances at home as we have just witnessed against Southampton, Bournemouth and Cardiff. Three games which, on paper, were quite winnable. Or you'd at least expect to chisel at WORST 2 or 3 points from.

But no. Not only did we go and lose the whole lot 8 to nil, we managed to play the best part of 300 minutes, as the home team, with barely a serious attempt on goal. Added to our now customary goal-less capitulations on the road of course.

Can someone stop the season please ? I want to get off.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
In all my years following this club, I am struggling to recall three more utterly abject consecutive performances at home as we have just witnessed against Southampton, Bournemouth and Cardiff. Three games which, on paper, were quite winnable. Or you'd at least expect to chisel at WORST 2 or 3 points from.

But no. Not only did we go and lose the whole lot 8 to nil, we managed to play the best part of 300 minutes, as the home team, with barely a serious attempt on goal. Added to our now customary goal-less capitulations on the road of course.

Can someone stop the season please ? I want to get off.

Well said. Just incredible

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
One of the worst performances from an Albion player, wow - you haven't seen many games over the years then!

Sent from my HUAWEI G7-L01 using Tapatalk

Stephens was so poor tonight it beggars belief

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
The OP is spot on, and I said as much during the game.

There is now a chronic mental fragility to this team. We actually started ok (as we did against the muff), but at the FIRST SIGN of things going wrong, ie when we concede a goal, almost from 1 to 11 we visibly shrink. The passing is the first thing that goes. The composure on the ball disappears. The anxiety sets in, and literally the simplest passes start going straight to the opposition, or even straight into touch. I literally do not have the words to describe quite how abject Stephens, Propper and Jahanbakhsh were tonight. They were not alone, but that trio's 'performance' tonight absolutely killed us stone dead. You can't get anything from a game when your midfield does that.

Our confidence is on the floor now. I get the impression that our players are now DREADING these games. We have been playing with fear for months now, and as the pressure has gradually increased, we're seeing them fall apart in front of our very eyes. I'm afraid to say, this team just does not have the bollocks for a relegation scrap. They've gone, folded.

The way I see it, the only possible prospect of another point now is at home to Newcastle, IF they are on the beach by then. But this team is so paralysed by fear now that unless we catch a break, I have severe doubts they are capable of battling their own way to safety now. We look shot. Its all on Cardiffs opponents to do the job for us.

That is exactly my point, you just detailed a lot better than I did. Not sure how you fix a lack of mental strength, they need some sort of mental coaching

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
In the mid 90's we were utter gash, everything that could be below par was . . .but despite all that and the mental batterings going on on and off the pitch the players did grind out a few results.

Only watched a stream Sat, but you could see from that, and last night, that there is a major problem. Mentally shot, and I don't thing CH can do anything about it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Warnock " We don't know when we are beaten ".... Whereas we are beaten when we walk out.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The OP is spot on, and I said as much during the game.

There is now a chronic mental fragility to this team. We actually started ok (as we did against the muff), but at the FIRST SIGN of things going wrong, ie when we concede a goal, almost from 1 to 11 we visibly shrink. The passing is the first thing that goes. The composure on the ball disappears. The anxiety sets in, and literally the simplest passes start going straight to the opposition, or even straight into touch. I literally do not have the words to describe quite how abject Stephens, Propper and Jahanbakhsh were tonight. They were not alone, but that trio's 'performance' tonight absolutely killed us stone dead. You can't get anything from a game when your midfield does that.

Our confidence is on the floor now. I get the impression that our players are now DREADING these games. We have been playing with fear for months now, and as the pressure has gradually increased, we're seeing them fall apart in front of our very eyes. I'm afraid to say, this team just does not have the bollocks for a relegation scrap. They've gone, folded.

The way I see it, the only possible prospect of another point now is at home to Newcastle, IF they are on the beach by then. But this team is so paralysed by fear now that unless we catch a break, I have severe doubts they are capable of battling their own way to safety now. We look shot. Its all on Cardiffs opponents to do the job for us.

We need some SENSATIONAL luck now to drag us off our arses. A completely undeserved penalty, or a freakish own goal. The way we are mentally it genuinely feels like it's out of our hands now, despite the 2 point lead and the game in hand.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The body language when we conceded the 2nd was so telling. All shoulders slumped, hands on hips, everyone looking down at the floor. Not even any anger or finger pointing anymore. Just nothing. Just gone. Gone.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It just gets worse having watched the highlights. Guess who is at fault for not closing down on their first goal. Stephens switches off and drifts to the right leaving Mendez Laing way too much time to line up his admittedly great shot.

He doubles up with the full back. Standard. Wouldn't have been a problem if the rest of the midfield was anywhere to be seen.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
One of the worst performances from an Albion player, wow - you haven't seen many games over the years then!

Sent from my HUAWEI G7-L01 using Tapatalk

The worrying thing is that watching since 1973 with probably 3 or 4 seasons off for good behaviour, I have. He was f****** dire.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
It isn’t about being bad players. It’s about our inability to handle the pressure of a crunch match. That the only conclusion I can come to for such poor passing

Bottled it, end of story

As we pretty much always do in recent years.

Blew the Championship title.

Play-off defeats left, right and centre.

It's par for the course now. We go behind and that's it. End of game.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I emailed Paul Barber this morning, and got an immediate response, I asked about the mental strength along the lines of my OP and some of the other responses in this thread. Here is Paul's response:-

Firstly, I fully understand your disappointment and frustrations. We are all concerned about the team’s poor form and run of results.

Please rest assured that our training ground staff cover the full range of skills and services you would expect to be available to a Premier League club.

Best wishes, Paul

Paul Barber
Chief Executive and Deputy Chairman
Brighton & Hove Albion FC

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Dale Stephens was shitting himself from minute one. I was a huge fan of his but he is getting worse and worse. Dithers on the ball and if he doesn't get robbed his passing is laughable at this level. One of the worst performances I've seen from an Albion player.

When you've got 27000 people on your back - it ain't easy to perform. And sorry, it's nothing more than hyperbole to say it's one of the worst performances from an Albion player. Propper and Ali J were worse LAST night.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I emailed Paul Barber this morning, and got an immediate response, I asked about the mental strength along the lines of my OP and some of the other responses in this thread. Here is Paul's response:-

I can't work out if that is real or not

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

This is a wind up right?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Too short.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
100% real I can assure you

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
When you've got 27000 people on your back - it ain't easy to perform. And sorry, it's nothing more than hyperbole to say it's one of the worst performances from an Albion player. Propper and Ali J were worse LAST night.

He was by far the worst player on the pitch. The crowd were right behind the team at the start and his performance was pathetic. Whether you agree or not, I couldn't give a toss.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here