Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mental Strength

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
It isn’t about being bad players. It’s about our inability to handle the pressure of a crunch match. That the only conclusion I can come to for such poor passing

Bottled it, end of story

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Dale Stephens was shitting himself from minute one. I was a huge fan of his but he is getting worse and worse. Dithers on the ball and if he doesn't get robbed his passing is laughable at this level. One of the worst performances I've seen from an Albion player.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Agree.
I said on the match thread I cannot remember ever playing a team like us. We have games where we give up. I think that is on Hughton to be honest. The inevitable loss after sitting back away from home. The acceptance of defeat after 50 minutes. Who have we played in such an important match (ever) where the opposition has given up like we did tonight?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Dale Stephens was shitting himself from minute one. I was a huge fan of his but he is getting worse and worse. Dithers on the ball and if he doesn't get robbed his passing is laughable at this level. One of the worst performances I've seen from an Albion player.

Agreed. Totally shocking performance. Yet Hughton continues to play him.

D

Deleted member 2719

Let's face it Warnock would have given his players mental strength day in day out, let alone pre-match and at half time.

How do you think that would go with Hughton?

Exactly.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Yup, when that moment comes - when the pressure is really on - you take that fleeting look at the people around you and some seem to visibly grow in stature whilst others shrink and diminish. We need some moral courage out there - players prepared to step up and take a leadership role. But I fear it may now be too late for that now, regardless.

Meek - and getting what meek will alway get; **** all. :nono:

A1X

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Opposition teams have actually stopped trying to tackle him as they know they'll get it off him more often than not anyway. Been happening for a few games now, better to wait and risk it than potentially concede a foul.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not seen us bottle it this much since we threw away winning the Championship

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

Agreed, he was truly pathetic tonight but it wasn’t just him, there was hardly a player on the pitch who didn’t give the ball away at some point during the match.

Our strongest player mentally, Kayal, didn’t even get a look in.

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
The body language as most of the team trudged off at half time, shoulders stooped, heads down, said a lot for me. They appeared beaten even then. As for leadership in a tight spot who would you want in the Trenches with you? Warnock or Hughton?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
The body language as most of the team trudged off at half time, shoulders stooped, heads down, said a lot for me. They appeared beaten even then. As for leadership in a tight spot who would you want in the Trenches with you? Warnock or Hughton?

Agree with all of that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Agreed, he was truly pathetic tonight but it wasn’t just him, there was hardly a player on the pitch who didn’t give the ball away at some point during the match.

It just gets worse having watched the highlights. Guess who is at fault for not closing down on their first goal. Stephens switches off and drifts to the right leaving Mendez Laing way too much time to line up his admittedly great shot.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The OP is spot on, and I said as much during the game.

There is now a chronic mental fragility to this team. We actually started ok (as we did against the muff), but at the FIRST SIGN of things going wrong, ie when we concede a goal, almost from 1 to 11 we visibly shrink. The passing is the first thing that goes. The composure on the ball disappears. The anxiety sets in, and literally the simplest passes start going straight to the opposition, or even straight into touch. I literally do not have the words to describe quite how abject Stephens, Propper and Jahanbakhsh were tonight. They were not alone, but that trio's 'performance' tonight absolutely killed us stone dead. You can't get anything from a game when your midfield does that.

Our confidence is on the floor now. I get the impression that our players are now DREADING these games. We have been playing with fear for months now, and as the pressure has gradually increased, we're seeing them fall apart in front of our very eyes. I'm afraid to say, this team just does not have the bollocks for a relegation scrap. They've gone, folded.

The way I see it, the only possible prospect of another point now is at home to Newcastle, IF they are on the beach by then. But this team is so paralysed by fear now that unless we catch a break, I have severe doubts they are capable of battling their own way to safety now. We look shot. Its all on Cardiffs opponents to do the job for us.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The number of straightforward passes that went yards astray or straight into touch was almost laughable. And invariably the player doing the crap pass would then throw his hands up in disgust like it was somebody else's fault. This group of players has abdicated all sense of personal responsibility. Hard to see how they can regain it now. Utterly shameful.

matumaini

Feb 25, 2018
One of the worst performances from an Albion player, wow - you haven't seen many games over the years then!

Sent from my HUAWEI G7-L01 using Tapatalk

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Not seen us bottle it this much since we threw away winning the Championship

yes........that , for me was a big indication of the lack of mind power , going on the lash once mathematically promoted and throwing away a 5 point lead.....i don't know what was aid behind closed doors .....nothing evidently , Kayal must be spewing watching our recent performances , always gives 100 %.

Albion100

Jan 4, 2013
Patcham

Not for the first team hes bottled it in a big game

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Kayal threw his bib at at the bench tonight don’t blame him either Hughton would leave Tony Cruz on the bench for Dale fffin Stephens.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here