Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] For the Hughton out brigade

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Plenty who would be interested in a top job like Brighton and plenty with excellent CV's but any better than Hughton?

Big Sam
Davey Moyes
Darren Moore
Alec McLeish
Carlos Carvahal
Gary Rowett
Alan Curbishley
Steve Cotterill
Aitor Karanka
Nigel Pearson
Billy Davies
Mark Hughes

Of course not ... TB would have to take a risk and evaluate that risk/reward against what he has now. If anyone one knows how to take a calculated risk then he does

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Mmm Dyche went from a run of losses to telling his team to cheat, can’t believe the ref didn’t spot a fake head injury after a blatant hand ball. They are t much better than us really 2 more wins the over reaction oh here sometimes... :shrug:

Exactly. Fortunately for Dyche, his absymal run, worse than ours has been, came at the start of the season. He had time to turn it around; by doing exactly what Chris is doing, by turning back the clock and going back to the basics they got right last season. We've just got a lot less time to sort our shocking form out, and they can point to Europe distraction where equally we can reflect on how the cup can upset your league form.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Plenty who would be interested in a top job like Brighton and plenty with excellent CV's but any better than Hughton?

Big Sam
Davey Moyes
Darren Moore
Alec McLeish
Carlos Carvahal
Gary Rowett
Alan Curbishley
Steve Cotterill
Aitor Karanka
Nigel Pearson
Billy Davies
Mark Hughes

Out of all of them, I could only see Moyes. That though, would still not be too inspiring.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Big Sam
Davey Moyes
Darren Moore
Alec McLeish
Carlos Carvahal
Gary Rowett
Alan Curbishley
Steve Cotterill
Aitor Karanka
Nigel Pearson
Billy Davies
Mark Hughes
Perhaps take a punt on Ruel Fox ? ???

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Big Sam
Davey Moyes
Darren Moore
Alec McLeish
Carlos Carvahal
Gary Rowett
Alan Curbishley
Steve Cotterill
Aitor Karanka
Nigel Pearson
Billy Davies
Mark Hughes

Slightly disappointed that you didn’t include Pards in that list Crodo.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Exactly. Stylistically they're a very different offensive team than us though. They're so much more vertical than we are and a part of that is pace, but they're much more intelligent in the press too.

Correct, and they have Joao Moutinho, who loves receiving the ball under pressure, knowing exactly what he is going to do with it without panicking. Oh for a player like that.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Burnley are solid at the back and can score a goal and the movement of the players from box to box last night was immense. We just don't have the ability to do that with the players we have. If we stay up then we need to change our style.

Thanks, that's the point I wanted to make. The movement from box to box. That is coached and practiced. Burnley scared Chelsea, scored 2 goals (remember them, goals?) and had players working really hard. Passing to teammates ahead of them. That's a novelty...

I think that our current set up needs changing. End of season now obviously. Players need moving on, manager too. No idea who to replace him with (Crodo's list is horrible, even without Pardew on it). That's what Barber gets paid for. Time to earn his salary.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Burnley are solid at the back and can score a goal and the movement of the players from box to box last night was immense. We just don't have the ability to do that with the players we have. If we stay up then we need to change our style.

Absolutely. It’s one of the things I’ve been banging on about all season, our transitional play is diabolical. Predictable and ponderous. That is a coaching issue, it’s not just a case of filling your side with pacey players as Burnley prove.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Absolutely. It’s one of the things I’ve been banging on about all season, our transitional play is diabolical. Predictable and ponderous. That is a coaching issue, it’s not just a case of filling your side with pacey players as Burnley prove.

Are you sure that's not just a knee jerk reaction? [emoji3]

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
How about giving a foreigner a go who has a track record of setting up teams to cross the half way line.....how about someone from the Dutch league?

Anyway Percy tau will be back and he makes Pele look like Baz Savage.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Transitional play always goes out of the window when you're low on confidence and short of form - otherwise you wouldn't be. Dyche couldn't coach Burnley out of their malaise until January. I agree with your point about our transitional play being diabolical, I disagree with it being simply coaching. You use the Burnley example, but I doubt Dyche coached them differently between August to now. What has changed for them is they went back to basics, stopped trying to 'play' beyond their capabilities, and the players regained confidence in themselves to compete in games.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Transitional play always goes out of the window when you're low on confidence and short of form - otherwise you wouldn't be. Dyche couldn't coach Burnley out of their malaise until January. I agree with your point about our transitional play being diabolical, I disagree with it being simply coaching. You use the Burnley example, but I doubt Dyche coached them differently between August to now. What has changed for them is they went back to basics, stopped trying to 'play' beyond their capabilities, and the players regained confidence in themselves to compete in games.

But we were poor at this from August to January when not short on confidence. Our way of playing just wasn’t sustainable which is what I kept saying. You can only defend for your lives and hope Murray or Duffy nick a goal for so long before you get found out and that’s what’s happened.

Burnley’s poor start was purely down to the Europa cup.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Correct, and they have Joao Moutinho, who loves receiving the ball under pressure, knowing exactly what he is going to do with it without panicking. Oh for a player like that.

This is true, but what Moutinho and Never both have is runners looking for passes into space. To be fair to our midfielders, our system/manager doesn't allow for such things really.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But we were poor at this from August to January when not short on confidence. Our way of playing just wasn’t sustainable which is what I kept saying. You can only defend for your lives and hope Murray or Duffy nick a goal for so long before you get found out and that’s what’s happened.

Burnley’s poor start was purely down to the Europa cup.

I don't think this season we have intended to play in that way, we have ended up that way much of the time, largely down to the form of some of the players, which has eventually dragged everyone down with them. I thought we've been decent at certain times, we created more chances and more shots on target than Arsenal did, similar amount v Everton, and at West Ham I thought we took the game to them with 13 shots, 6 on target away from home. Those periods over bonfire night and boxing day I thought we were starting to get it together.

Come to think of it, I completely forgot about Watford at home where we had 21 shots, 5 on target, 55% possession to their 5 attempts, 0 on target, with Foster having the game of his life! There have been moments it just hasn't run for us this year.

You seem to want to simplify things, Burnley was down to Europa, ours down to tactics, it's never that simple. Burnley were done and dusted with Europe by the end of August, their first 3 games were really just competitive pre-season friendlies.

Last edited:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Last season: 40 points from 38 games: Triumph - Hughton for England!

This season: 34 points from 34 games: disaster - Sack Hughton!

Sure, we're not playing well but some of the comments on this Board and elsewhere are embarrassing. Chrissy deserves better.

PG

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
One of the things I like most about Chris is that he doesn't suffer fools gladly, while some EPL managers do suffer fools glady, Chris doesn't. This stands him in good stead to root out the problem players and bring in replacements in the summer.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016

Sure, we're not playing well but some of the comments on this Board and elsewhere are embarrassing. Chrissy deserves better.

PG

You've seen us play this season, or is this what you call blind faith.

Just because we've mugged a few teams this season, it doesn't hide the fact that we've been awful. Dunk and Duffy's last ditch defending can only paper over some of the cracks.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

PG

This. All day long. Sometimes I hate football fans.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

PG

Err no.

CH had struggled all season and we were in massive trouble until an anti-Mourihno United and an anti-Wenger Arsenal arrived . That saved our season.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
This is true, but what Moutinho and Never both have is runners looking for passes into space. To be fair to our midfielders, our system/manager doesn't allow for such things really.

Izquierdo and Knockaert both love balls into space, but seldom receive any passes of quality. That beauty from Stephens to Knockaert against Palace a rare piece of quality.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here