Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] For the Hughton out brigade

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
They don’t call it second season syndrome for nothing.

Cup run undoubtedly a distraction this season. We hit the new year after some good performances, the games against Arsenal and Everton we’re both very strong. Confidence seemed to collapse after Burnley, there is no easy fix for that, last 2 games may just revive that key strength of not giving away easy goals that has plagued us in 2019.

Not sure I’d agree ours has been any worse than any other premier league struggler in recent memory. If we hang on in there, it’s certainly got to be a busy summer.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Feel like we were given 5 chances to stay up with 5 winnable home games. Last chance saloon Saturday..

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
yes. I'm sure you can come up with different analogies and insults directed against the players and Hughton going all morning. Why though ? I'm not sure. But fair enough.

Don't get me wrong, I've no problem with the players, they are working their arses off.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
They don’t call it second season syndrome for nothing.

Cup run undoubtedly a distraction this season. We hit the new year after some good performances, the games against Arsenal and Everton we’re both very strong. Confidence seemed to collapse after Burnley, there is no easy fix for that, last 2 games may just revive that key strength of not giving away easy goals that has plagued us in 2019.

Not sure I’d agree ours has been any worse than any other premier league struggler in recent memory. If we hang on in there, it’s certainly got to be a busy summer.

It has got to be a busy summer.
The club needs £30m players and a wage structure that matches the rest of the bottom half.
Big investment and risky with a new manager in place?
Will TB stick or twist (if we stay up)?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The club needs £30m players and a wage structure that matches the rest of the bottom half.

I'm almost positive TB will stick. He'll have the opinion of senior players, staff, people he trusts, he'll take in various opinion and make an informed decision. I'm not blindly backing the manager, only giving opinion on matters that might be outside his control. Too many clubs change managers with no impact because the underlying reasons for poor performance remain. In our case, I think it's far too simple to lay it all at the manager's door. Might be that TB feels it is time for a change, and that might turn out to be the right decision, I couldn't make that call with any certainty though.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Need a new manager early as possible, so a fresh pair of eyes can appraise our recent signings and decide whether he wants them or not and then go on from there, working with Ashworth to try and recruit what is required.
Hughton can't hack it in the Prem and if we go down, we need someone who can get us back up and move on from there. Hughton is not the man.
Trouble is, I'm not convinced TB will get rid.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Don't get me wrong, I've no problem with the players, they are working their arses off.

While the manager is sitting with his feet up smoking cigars!

Maybe if Chris Hughton kicked water bottles into the crowd or boots in players’ faces, or lambasted his players at every opportunity he might get more plaudits for being “passionate”, instead of vilified for his demeanour of being a gentleman and a gentle man.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I'm almost positive TB will stick. He'll have the opinion of senior players, staff, people he trusts, he'll take in various opinion and make an informed decision. I'm not blindly backing the manager, only giving opinion on matters that might be outside his control. Too many clubs change managers with no impact because the underlying reasons for poor performance remain. In our case, I think it's far too simple to lay it all at the manager's door. Might be that TB feels it is time for a change, and that might turn out to be the right decision, I couldn't make that call with any certainty though.

THIS

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

Our wage structure isn't hugely out of kilter with the other bottom half teams (Bold Seagull posted yesterday)

Average wage bills Premier League 2018/19
Rank Team Average annual wage per player
1 Manchester United £6,534,654
2 Manchester City £5,993,000
3 Chelsea £5,020,004
4 Liverpool £4,862,963
5 Arsenal £4,853,130
6 Tottenham Hotspur £3,515,778
7 Everton £3,242,690
8 West Ham £3,189,333
9 Crystal Palace £2,757,000
10 Leicester City £2,710,710
11 Southampton £2,669,333
12 Bournemouth £1,989,520
13 Watford £1,775,172
14 Wolves £1,757,600
15 Fulham £1,727,440
16 Brighton & Hove Albion £1,695,040
17 Newcastle United £1,650,133
18 Burnley £1,603,197
19 Huddersfield Town £1,238,000
20 Cardiff City £957,471

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
While the manager is sitting with his feet up smoking cigars!

Maybe if Chris Hughton kicked water bottles into the crowd or boots in players’ faces, or lambasted his players at every opportunity he might get more plaudits for being “passionate”, instead of vilified for his demeanour of being a gentleman and a gentle man.
Nobody is suggesting Hughton isn't working. And yes, he comes across as being a gentleman and maybe even a gentle man. Unfortunately, the PL in no place for gentle.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Nobody is suggesting Hughton isn't working. And yes, he comes across as being a gentleman and maybe even a gentle man. Unfortunately, the PL in no place for gentle.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Would you have called him for him to be sacked two years ago then ?

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
I admire your loyalty to Chris Hughton, but you must see that he is out of his depth now, surely? 11 hours without a Premier League goal, 6 shots on target in 6 matches. I had to travel home with Spurs fans last night and they were embarrassed for us.

Chris is a lovely, honest and honourable guy, but he is not a Premier League quality manager. He is an excellent coach of defenders, but lacks the offensive nous to cut it at this level.

Regardless of how this season finishes for us, Chris has to go.
No, I don't think I share your perspective. Yet.

We have one of the lowest playing budgets in the league. Chris - rightfully - set up yesterday to frustrate spurs and claim a point via a goalless draw. This was never going to be easy against a team that put four past City last week. But he nearly did it. In fact, it took a last minute strike from one of the world's greatest midfielders to beat us. For now, for me, Chris's personality and achievements at the club mean his job is secure. Another Bournemouth or Cardiff and that might have to be reviewed.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
No, I don't think I share your perspective. Yet.

We have one of the lowest playing budgets in the league. Chris - rightfully - set up yesterday to frustrate spurs and claim a point via a goalless draw. This was never going to be easy against a team that put four past City last week. But he nearly did it. In fact, it took a last minute strike from one of the world's greatest midfielders to beat us. For now, for me, Chris's personality and achievements at the club mean his job is secure. Another Bournemouth or Cardiff and that might have to be reviewed.

I think the Bournemouth and Cardiff results were my personal tipping point, I just hope the Newcastle game doesn't prove to be yours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here