Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] At least next season we are likely to see more attacking football from the Albion

If we go down, with or without CH, we will not need to be as defensive as we have been this year.

If we stay up, with or without CH, I can't see TB sanctioning the stay-in-the-game-for-70-minutes-and-hope-to-nick-it-at-the-end tactics we've seen this year for another season.

I've never seen as much negativity from fans since the Mike Bailey years and he got the tin tack, even though we finished 13th.

You have to look on the bright side if you are an Albion fan, even though it can be hard to find.

B52

Jan 23, 2013
Super Seaford From the South
If we go down, with or without CH, we will not need to be as defensive as we have been this year.

If we stay up, with or without CH, I can't see TB sanctioning the stay-in-the-game-for-70-minutes-and-hope-to-nick-it-at-the-end tactics we've seen this year for another season.

I've never seen as much negativity from fans since the Mike Bailey years and he got the tin tack, even though we finished 13th.

Not really a day for negativity is it, surely we all need to lift the mood and get behind the team tonight.

Stay up or go down, this season will have served as a huge wake up call for the club in terms of recruitment.

I'm not sure recruitment is the main problem. Yes, we did seem to concentrate on improving depth of the squad (and improving the quality of the U23s) rather than strengthening the first team, but for me the main problem is more to do with how we have used the players we have, both existing and newly recruited.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Were you not there when we played Millwall under Hyypia. That was far worse in fighting in the north and that was dire football at a lower standard

Personally most fans are unrealistic in their expectations. We are currently a bottom 6 PL club and CH is doing his best I’m sure to get us over the line.
If we stay up we would be better changing the recruiting policy and hopefully DA will identify some young exciting British talent who Want to prove what they are about

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Stay up or go down, this season will have served as a huge wake up call for the club in terms of recruitment.

I disagree, our recruitment has been sound and each signing has improved our squad. We made a significant tactical change once we looked to be comfortable at the midway point of the season and it has left us open and exposed. Bernardo, Andone, Bissouma and Jahanbakhsh would all slot into the side in a 4-4-1-1 and be effective

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I disagree, our recruitment has been sound and each signing has improved our squad. We made a significant tactical change once we looked to be comfortable at the midway point of the season and it has left us open and exposed. Bernardo, Andone, Bissouma and Jahanbakhsh would all slot into the side in a 4-4-1-1 and be effective

The priority is not strengthening the squad shirley? In the olden days that would be called strengthening the reserve team. Both then and now, the priority should be to strengthen the first team. Which overall we've not done.

el punal

Agreed. We've signed PLENTY of attacking players with pedigree. Just haven't utilised them as such.

True enough. I hope that in the summer, and hopefully staying up, that by next season the players that are square pegs in round holes become round pegs or the holes become square . . . . well you get the gist, which I hope the players will get tonight as they certainly didn’t last Saturday.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Or just not very good ones from a PL perspective.

I don't feel they've all been given a chance to play in a system that would suit them. Jahanbakhsh hasn't ONCE played in his natural position. Nor does Locadia. Andone hasn't had a settled run of games.

Bernardo is the one out of that 4 who has been given a decent run of games in his correct position and - surprise, surprise - he's a clear improvement on Bong.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The priority is not strengthening the squad shirley? In the olden days that would be called strengthening the reserve team. Both then and now, the priority should be to strengthen the first team. Which overall we've not done.

I disagree, I think all 4 of those I mentioned are an improvement on what we already had or will be in the near future. The problem has been the formation not the recruitment

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Agreed. We've signed PLENTY of attacking players with pedigree. Just haven't utilised them as such.

Absolutely, Ali J and Locadia had lucrative returns in the Dutch league. As Murray said, the goalposts don't move what ever league you are in. If you shackle offensive players with excessive defensive duties, they will not score as frequently as people like.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I disagree, I think all 4 of those I mentioned are an improvement on what we already had or will be in the near future. The problem has been the formation not the recruitment

Ok, fair enough, we'll just have to agree to disagree then. All I'd say is it must be more productive to recruit players that slot in to, and enhance, your existing style of play rather than rejig the formation to play to, say, the strengths of Locadia. Because if you rejig in that way you put the existing formation out of kilter. All the time CMS was here, the accusation was that we weren't playing to the kick'n'rush schoolboy level skills that made him successful at his previous club.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I'm not sure recruitment is the main problem. Yes, we did seem to concentrate on improving depth of the squad (and improving the quality of the U23s) rather than strengthening the first team, but for me the main problem is more to do with how we have used the players we have, both existing and newly recruited.

Agreed, we seem to have played most of our new signings out of position.

Were you not there when we played Millwall under Hyypia. That was far worse in fighting in the north and that was dire football at a lower standard

Personally most fans are unrealistic in their expectations. We are currently a bottom 6 PL club and CH is doing his best I’m sure to get us over the line.
If we stay up we would be better changing the recruiting policy and hopefully DA will identify some young exciting British talent who Want to prove what they are about

No I wasn't there in the Hyypia days as it happens, I was in Sunny Spain. So I only got back for the occasional game although I could hear how bad things were on Seagulls Player.

But I don't buy this line that we should concentrate on British talent. We should concentrate on talent, wherever it comes from. Then it's up to the management team to develop that talent as well as the character of the player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here