PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue: The American Express Community Stadium
Date: Tuesday 16th April 2019
Kick-off: 19:45 BST
Referee: Andre Marriner
Assistants: Scott Ledger, Simon Long
Fourth official: Chris Kavanagh

TEAM NEWS

Brighton have Pascal Gross and Solly March back in contention to face Cardiff on Tuesday.

Gross has been unavailable since 26 February because of a hamstring injury, while a calf problem ruled winger March out of the past two matches.

Anthony Knockaert is suspended as a result of his red card on Saturday.

Cardiff have no new injury concerns for this rearranged fixture, with Sol Bamba and Callum Paterson both long-term absentees.

RADIO 5 LIVE COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Chris Wise: The fight to avoid the final relegation place has very quickly become a straight shoot-out between these two clubs.

Brighton's heaviest defeat under Chris Hughton will have undoubtedly caused some lasting damage. He now has to decide whether to shake his team up, or trust the players involved last weekend to make amends. It's a tough call.

Controversy seems to be following Cardiff around at present, but this is a game they simply can't lose. Aside from the current five-point gap to safety, the Bluebirds goal difference is irretrievably worse than all the sides above them and they've still got to play Liverpool and Manchester United.

It's safe to say there are likely to be nervous faces everywhere you look at the Amex on Tuesday.

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Chris Hughton on the 5-0 loss to Bournemouth: "(The) players have reacted well. We had a meeting yesterday, went through the game and the goals that we conceded.

"It was probably our worst performance of the season but this is football.

"There isn't one player in that changing room that wouldn't have gone through a bad defeat, a bad performance, and what it's always about is how you respond to that.

"I expect very much a reaction from our players."

Cardiff City manager Colin Wanker: "We just have to look at the golf and at what Tiger has done - amazing.

"Nobody gave him a chance either, he has been written off that many times.

"Obviously over the last few weeks we have felt sorry for ourselves a few times. We haven't got time to do that and if it's not good enough then we accept it.

"But this is an opportunity to give ourselves a chance until the end of the season. We have to grab that."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Brighton beat Cardiff 1-0 in the Championship in their most recent meeting at the Amex Stadium, in January 2017. The previous four encounters at the stadium were all drawn.
    [*=left]Cardiff could win both league matches against Brighton in a single campaign for the first time since 1998-99 in the fourth tier.

Albion

• [*=left]Brighton could lose five consecutive matches in all competitions for the first time in 12 years.
    [*=left]It's four defeats in six Premier League home games for the Seagulls (W1, D1).
    [*=left]Albion have only earned 12 points from their past 17 league fixtures (W3, D3, L11).
    [*=left]Eight of their nine league victories this season have been by a one-goal margin.
    [*=left]Only Crystal Palace and Huddersfield have scored fewer home league goals than Brighton's 17.
    [*=left]Their tally of 18 league goals from set-pieces in 2018-19 is only surpassed by Liverpool.
    [*=left]Glenn Murray has gone nine home league appearances without a goal.

Cardiff

• [*=left]Defeat in this match will leave Cardiff eight points adrift of safety with only 12 points available.
    [*=left]The Bluebirds have lost six of their past seven league matches, with the exception being a 2-0 home win over West Ham on 9 March.
    [*=left]They are the division's lowest scorers away from home, with nine goals.
    [*=left]None of their eight Premier League away goals since mid-September have been scored before the 69th minute, with six coming in the 80th minute or later.
    [*=left]Cardiff are the only club to have played in the Premier League and never led an away fixture in the division at half-time. They have scored just five goals in the opening half of those 34 matches.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So excited (well not really, bloody nervous)

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
What sort of time do you call this to start an Official match thread? Where have you been? *I nearly started on myself.

*Being a superstitious type I would never do such a silly thing. :ascarf:

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
What sort of time do you call this to start an Official match thread? Where have you been? *I nearly started on myself.

*Being a superstitious type I would never do such a silly thing. :ascarf:

Some doubt was cast on me in the last thread, quite reasonably in my humble opinion, so I held back. There didn't seem to be any takers so I reluctantly stepped up.

No need to start on yourself.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Not overly confident ... man for man we are better & should beat Cardiff BUT they seam to have more team spirit & fight something we used to have by the bucket load but has seeped away with any confidence we once had.

Expect they will try to bully us and be aggressive more things we lack while we will try (try but probably struggle) to get our passing game going. If Gross plays we may keep the ball a bit more and pass on the ground , if not expect it will be lump it forward out of defence and hope it does not come straight back.

Would like us to go 4-4-1-1 if Gross is fit or 4-4-2 if not but suspect after defending the use of 4-3-3 in the media CH will probably stick with that which I have grave doubts about with the current squad players who cant seem to handle it.

First goal is all important , if Cardiff score first I think we will lose. If we score first and Cardiff equalise I suspect we wont win and could lose. If we score the first two goals I think we will win. Going to be nervous edgy football not for the purest as I doubt will be pretty.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Some doubt was cast on me in the last thread, quite reasonably in my humble opinion, so I held back. There didn't seem to be any takers so I reluctantly stepped up.

You are the offical, offical match thread starter Dick Head. Anyone else and it just wouldn't be right.

Carry on.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Something has undoubtedly gone wrong with The Albion in the last couple of months. All sorts of arguments rage on here about the cause of it - but one thing is a certainty. Our downturn in form has nothing to do with the match day threads!

Carry on!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Who’s the ref tonight? Cardiff have apparently had so many decisions go against them ..hoping that tonight neither side is favoured and that the result doesn’t rely on a dodgy decision

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
2-0 pretty straight forward win.

I imagine the game plan will be start defensive and wait for them to open up as they have to win.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here