Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Crunch time

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
No point sacking CH even if we lose tonight. There isnt anyone else at the club who could step up and do a better job with the same squad in such a short time. The bigger question is does TB see CH as the future man to keep us up again next season or get us back up if relegated.

Not seen any Dan Ashworth influence as yet and if he wants to follow the England model is CH the right man to give younger players their chance ? not exactly set the world on fire with introducing new players quickly let alone youth players yet apart from the odd one here and there. Maybe the change to 4-3-3 was an Ashworth suggestion and thats what he see's as the right formation for all the teams but little sign that a one fits all policy so far at the Albion similar to what England have been trying.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Hughton won't be sacked if we lose tonight though.

I think the only we he may go, is if come the end of the season and we are relegated, he walks because he thinks that he has failed. Which is exactly what Sami Hyypia did of course, although in his case he actually had failed!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think the only we he may go, is if come the end of the season and we are relegated, he walks because he thinks that he has failed. Which is exactly what Sami Hyypia did of course, although in his case he actually had failed!

Given the objective is to stay up now we are here - would he not have failed if we go down?

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
If we lose, and the greatest ever manager in our history is sacked as so many seem to want, the ghastly fickledom of modern football will have done what Archer and Co never even began to do. Broken my Albion heart.

Greed and money are wrecking the game. As an Albion fan these days I feel like a goldfish owner absolutely devoted to his pet but loathing the water it is swimming about in.

Come on Chris, come on team. Show the doubters.

A typically lucid comment. I agree totally.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
This is our second season in the Prem. It really IMO needs to be regarded as a season of consolidation. We have to work for what we get in this division, against teams with heavy investments and a lot more experience at this level than us.

CH and TB are doing an amazing job with the club I love. A bad run isn't going to change my view. Yes, we didn't want things to get this hair raising with the potential that tonight's game could bring. But this season, like last, is all about finishing in the top 17.

If we do so, and with steady investment and steady strengthening, I'm sure we can attain the stability and move upwards.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
This is our second season in the Prem. It really IMO needs to be regarded as a season of consolidation. We have to work for what we get in this division, against teams with heavy investments and a lot more experience at this level than us.

CH and TB are doing an amazing job with the club I love. A bad run isn't going to change my view. Yes, we didn't want things to get this hair raising with the potential that tonight's game could bring. But this season, like last, is all about finishing in the top 17.

If we do so, and with steady investment and steady strengthening, I'm sure we can attain the stability and move upwards.

I couldn't have put it better myself.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Hughton is safe until at least Xmas. By which time there could be a three day week, power cuts, a general strike, a second Brexit referendum on the horizon and Jezza as PM. Back to the 70’s :thumbsup: and Atilla will love it!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If we lose, and the greatest ever manager in our history is sacked as so many seem to want, the ghastly fickledom of modern football will have done what Archer and Co never even began to do. Broken my Albion heart.

Greed and money are wrecking the game. As an Albion fan these days I feel like a goldfish owner absolutely devoted to his pet but loathing the water it is swimming about in.

Come on Chris, come on team. Show the doubters.

Ghastly fickledom of modern football? It's almost like the era of Mike Bailey - binned off because fans didn't like his brand of football despite leading us to our best ever finish - never existed.

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
No point sacking CH even if we lose tonight. There isnt anyone else at the club who could step up and do a better job with the same squad in such a short time. The bigger question is does TB see CH as the future man to keep us up again next season or get us back up if relegated.

Not seen any Dan Ashworth influence as yet and if he wants to follow the England model is CH the right man to give younger players their chance ? not exactly set the world on fire with introducing new players quickly let alone youth players yet apart from the odd one here and there. Maybe the change to 4-3-3 was an Ashworth suggestion and thats what he see's as the right formation for all the teams but little sign that a one fits all policy so far at the Albion similar to what England have been trying.

I understood Ashworth's job to be more strategic. I thought he will be looking to implement and recruit for a "Brighton way" of playing throughout all our squads from whatever age group we start at to the senior team. I doubt it's something that he would define alone but in conjunction with TB, CH and the rest of the coaching staff. So, if he had any influence on the switch to 4-3-3 (4-5-1) it would have been agreed by all parties. But my guess is that he had little or nothing to do with it and we won't see his influence until the summer transfer window at the earliest.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You'd do well to see Attila's response; because he clarified his main point. But please continue..

“Emotional response” you said condescendingly - he didn’t clarify that bit you chose to...anyway it doesn’t matter. Do carry on :)

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I doubt he will be sacked, must admit it has not taken as long as I thought for fans to start seeing the reality of what the Premier League is when the only objective is to avoid relegation.

After last night's result there is currently a 17 point gap between Man U in 6th and Leicester in 7th place, with Man U having a game in hand. Quite frankly it's getting ridiculous. However, I still want to stay up.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I meant greed and money in modern football in general, which has fostered the manager-sack-merry-go-round we have for so long avoided. I don't think Bloom WILL sack Hughton, but I am disappointed that so many want him to go.

Moving this on, if the club was sold to an oil billionaire who was prepared to pay £50m+ per player would you stop supporting us ?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Doesnt matter to me as I cannot hear it despite many e mails to TB where I am told the sound system is perfect, although many disagree.

I don't disagree BG. Many of us in the NS can't hear a word at HT when Reynolds starts banging on. Is it down to Reynold's mumbling? Or is the PA system shite? The fact that you can't hear a word that the guests say either suggests that it is the sound system and not Reynolds.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
I meant greed and money in modern football in general, which has fostered the manager-sack-merry-go-round we have for so long avoided. I don't think Bloom WILL sack Hughton, but I am disappointed that so many want him to go.

I think lots of fans voicing their discontent, are just expressing fairly well-worn criticisms of Hughton at this level. Not necessarily desire for him to fail. But questioning whether he's reached his ceiling. He has often given teams too much respect and is often too rigid to plan A and as a result sets up not to lose, rather than win. The big question for me is can he find a system that is both moderately successful and entertaining to some degree. Last year we often got a bit of both. I'd suggest this year much less so. I'd be really happy to see BHA kick on further under CH, but I don't think it's going to happen.

And why shouldn't fans expect more from a squad that isn't cheaply assembled, has many underperforming players right now coupled with questionable tactics/positioning? Harking back to Goldstone era simply isn't relevant in this context and I don't think it's got anything to do with greed. I think many fans simply expect to see more fight to win games.

10 shots on target in last 5 league games is symptom of the problem.
Let's get behind the team again tonight, but come season end, I think it's right the club assess what their ambitions are, and how we think it's best to achieve that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here